Sign in to follow this  
Seisdoble

Ati Radeon HD5870 Benchmarks ?

i hope someone in the future makes a test we can compare to our machines or the testing sites makes the timedemos available they used to bench arma2. The tests aren´t fully nonsense but a little bit. Nearly nonsense ist the last test to make different graphic settings on different cards..

I bought a GTX285 last Friday (in a complete new system) and it took me quite some effort to decide if it wasn't the time to wait and switch for ATI.

Ultimately though right now most games run really nice on a GTX285 in 1920x1200, the ATI gets between 10% to 50% performance increase (depending how well the game and drivers are optimized) but at least here in Europe costs considerable more.

That price increase IMHO is just not worth it when it gets you from 40 to 55 FPS - what for?

Besides, unless you are running an overclocked i7-920 or better CPU, Arma2 will bottleneck you at avg. 30 frames in many missions (per the Pcgamerhardware bench). No point in spending on a card that does 60FPS then, rather I would set up visual quality as high as you can go with 30avg. I believe image quality will give you a better edge in combat than pure frame rate, since A2 isn't a twitch game, and he who spots first shoots first.

Although the Radeon 5850 does beat the GTX285 by a fair margin, quite noticeably in ArmA2 too... and it costs less. by 20%. oh well.

I hope there will be in the future a benchmark from the Arma2-Demo. You can integrate it into the main Game to take advantage from patched A2.

Are you saying that the DEMO benchmark can be installed into the

full game?

How?

Was quite disappointed to find NO benchmark in the full game.

Thanks,

jmc

This is too bad, there is no more good reason to buy a GTX285..

"For this fall, we're able to say something we haven't been able to say for quite some time: AMD has the high-end market locked up tight."

See the detail here:http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3650&p=14

For 2 months or so.

The GT300 specs are speaking to an absolute beast and it's coming at the end of November.

Eth

For 2 months or so.

The GT300 specs are speaking to an absolute beast and it's coming at the end of November.

Eth

if you really think its coming in november i'd be prepared to be disappointed, we haven't even seen a picture of the card yet.

And during an Nvidia press conference yesterday there was really nothing shown that indicates they are any where near production ready.

more likely it'll be out around February next year , maybe late january.

For 2 months or so.

Eth

As will the price I'm sure. Though no prices have been released both the 5800s and the GT300s are 40nm tech being produced by TSMC. But the GT300 has 40% more transistors and a larger die so expect the cost of the GT300 to be quite a bit higher than the 5800s. How much will the performance be increased as a result? No one will know until they hit the stores.

And it won't be coming out at the end of November. Nvidia stated a day or so ago that people will have to wait longer than expected. A few of the reviewers were estimating 1Q 2010 after talking to the nVidia people, even though they wouldn't say for sure.

if you really think its coming in november i'd be prepared to be disappointed, we haven't even seen a picture of the card yet.

And during an Nvidia press conference yesterday there was really nothing shown that indicates they are any where near production ready.

more likely it'll be out around February next year , maybe late january.

Check your facts!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/nvidia-gt300-pictured-nvidia-gtc/

:p

The informed speculation is November for the single GPU and Q1 2010 for the "2 in 1" card.

Even if it was December/January (and there is no evidence to confirms that), that's only really 3 months away.

The initial cards will likely be expensive and in short supply but I don't really care. That never stops me from buying the latest and greatest :D

@ BOTA : Nvidia didn't even talk about the GT300 release date yesterday. What "reviewers" are "saying" is entirely irrelevant. If it didn't come directly from Nvidia then I'll stick to November 27th.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9541/nvidia4bigf.png

**Bottom of the chart

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Are you saying that the DEMO benchmark can be installed into the

full game?

Never mind I FINALLY got the DEMO benchmark mission to run in

The full game... 1.04-59210 beta.

Was getting 44 FPS in the demo and 52 in the full game.

Boy, sure wish I could stand to turn OFF AA.

My FPS jump from 50 to near 90! in simple test mission.(no AI)

jmc

Q9450/4 gig (overclock 2.6 to 3.3 GHz does NOTHING)

Ati 4870 1 gig

Edited by jmc

Check your facts!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/nvidia-gt300-pictured-nvidia-gtc/

:p

The informed speculation is November for the single GPU and Q1 2010 for the "2 in 1" card.

Even if it was December/January (and there is no evidence to confirms that), that's only really 3 months away.

The initial cards will likely be expensive and in short supply but I don't really care. That never stops me from buying the latest and greatest :D

@ BOTA : Nvidia didn't even talk about the GT300 release date yesterday. What "reviewers" are "saying" is entirely irrelevant. If it didn't come directly from Nvidia then I'll stick to November 27th.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9541/nvidia4bigf.png

**Bottom of the chart

Eth

the card is a fake/mock up and a very poor one at that, as for the chart that was made up and is not at all form NVDA, but its good to have a dream. I have the facts, i know people who at nvda's event right now. They even asked the engineers, they said it was a mock up,so that "card" isnt even a real cooler or PCB. and have said a fermi/G300 is 1.6x a 285.

the card is a fake/mock up and a very poor one at that, as for the chart that was made up and is not at all form NVDA, but its good to have a dream. I have the facts, i know people who at nvda's event right now. They even asked the engineers, they said it was a mock up,so that "card" isnt even a real cooler or PCB. and have said a fermi/G300 is 1.6x a 285.

I know people who are there as well and I'm afraid it doesn't prove anything either way.

The chart isn't the only place that I've heard 27th Nov BTW. As for the pictures being a mock up, I couldn't say and since you didn't provide any evidence to the contrary, neither can you it seems. The pictures are still up, as is the article. Hearsay from "people you know" is not fact, sorry.

Fact is, the GT300 will likely knock the 5870 out of the park if the specs are anything to go by. Sure, it'll be more expensive, but who cares. I buy what's best. Right now that's ATI, but I suspect that won't be for very long.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I know people who are there as well. The chart isn't the only place that I've heard 27th Nov BTW. As for it being a mock up, I couldn't say and since you didn't provide any evidence to the contrary, neither can you it seems.

Fact is, the GT300 will likely knock the 5870 out of the park if the specs are anything to go by. Sure, it'll be more expensive, but who cares. I buy what's best. Right now that's ATI, but I suspect that isn't going to be for long.

Eth

its all over the intranetz now, that is a mock up, but a good sign is that the enginers say"Ships '09" there are no specs for the stuff we care about TMUs and ROPs, not yet. So you cant really say if it will be a gaming monster(it wont, but will be the fastest single GPU) but 1.6/1.8x a 285 is good.

Nvidia just sounded off about this.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15798/1/

Fermi Tesla board is a mock-up

Written by Fuad Abazovic

Friday, 02 October 2009 18:12

Nvidia confirms

Fermi that was running PhysX at Jensen's GTC keynote was real but the one that we all took pictures of was a mock-up.

The real engineering sample card is full of dangling wires. Basically, it looks like an octopus of modules and wires and the top brass at Nvidia didn't want to give that thing to Jensen. This was confirmed today by a top Nvidia VP president class chap, but the same person did confirm that the card is real and that it does exist.

Charlie was surely right about this one here. The card that Jensen showed and we all pictured is not a working sample. Some key people at Nvidia have promised to show us the picture of the real one. Stay tuned.

Nvidia is claiming it is a Fermi chip (I wont comment on the chassis) and I can't really see their CEO standing up with a fake chip. If he did and it is actually fake, he's a jackass but your "article" is written by a well known ATI fanboy so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Eth

Nvidia is claiming it is a Fermi chip (I wont comment on the chassis) and I can't really see their CEO standing up with a fake chip. If he did and it is actually fake, he's a jackass but your "article" is written by a well known ATI fanboy so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Eth

See my post above.

Apparently the specs released of the Fermi GPU are real and it is running and was running at the convention. It's just not presentable at the moment.

its all over the intranetz now, that is a mock up, but a good sign is that the enginers say"Ships '09" there are no specs for the stuff we care about TMUs and ROPs, not yet. So you cant really say if it will be a gaming monster(it wont, but will be the fastest single GPU) but 1.6/1.8x a 285 is good.

And you can't really say it won't.

Anyways, no point in arguing.

As I've told you privately, I have no bias. I just gave ATI almost $1000.00 and no doubt I'll be handing Nvidia a good sized chunk of cash towards the end of the year.

Win/Win here :D

Eth

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

See my post above.

Apparently the specs released of the Fermi GPU are real and it is running and was running at the convention. It's just not presentable at the moment.

I'm talking about the chip, not the chassis and Demerijian is a known ATI fanboy whether his article is factual or not.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I'm talking about the chip, not the chassis and Demerijian is a known ATI fanboy whether his article is factual or not.

Eth

Yea, he is very ATI biased.

It was a poor decision on Nvidia's part though to show a card and present it as a ready to run model when it really wasn't. Gives the ATI fanboys too much reason to cheer for what it's worth.

That said, I have zero doubt that the Fermi GPu specs they released aren't accurate. I also have zero doubt that they have one running like they stated. They should have just showed the demos and not the card.

See my post above.

And that was one of the most dumbassed things I've seen Nvidia do. That's just asking for bad press.

Idiots.

Eth