Sign in to follow this  
De_little_Bubi

Direct Chat distance

i searched about 20 minutes about a answer but couldn't find anything :/

I want to know on which max distance nearby people could see the direct chat text.

I'm never sure so i often use global chat or site channel but this way im spamming all the people with data they didnt want to know. like "take care t72 behind the house on the left" or something.

thx Bubi

btw last time i posted in here was before the release. arma2 is fantastic \o/

loves the coop, the ai based pvp and the ctf. everything soo great :)

I don't know about ArmA 2, but in Arma & OFP the chat channels work for all who are in the same channel. It is not dependant on the distance.

You should use the 'tightest' one possible in your specific situation. When in vehicle, use vehicle channel. When not in vehicle, use group channel. It is not recommended to use the side channel or the global channel unless there is really something you need to communicate to someone in another group or side.

Notice that if you use the global channel, your enemies will also see your messages. At least in OFP it was true also when placing markers on the map. I would guess it is the same in ArmA2 (I only played the demo and in single player). So, really, it is recommended to avoid the global channel as much as possible, because if you use it regularly, then you can accidentally reveal information to the enemy that you don't really want to give to them, like your position, or that you have spotted them, etc.

Edited by Baddo

He is asking for the range of Direct Chat (text)... Which is entirely dependant on the distance of the speaker, voice or chat.

I couldn't find any answers either, you will have to find a buddy to test it with yourself. That is, if no one actually knows.

Edited by Dead3yez

thanks for the explanation of the common com-channels but you missed the one i asked for :/

its called "Direktes Sprechen" in german, think "Direct Voice/Talk" or sth similiar in english versions.

The manual says:

Direktes Sprechen - Da bei dieser Kommunikationsweise keine Funkgeräte benutzt werden, hören derartige Nachricht nur Spieler in Rufweite.

Translation (more or less):

Direct Talk - Since this mode of communication don't use radio, only player within earshot would hear the message.

As you can see its the tightest of all channels. I only want to know which earshot distance arma2 is using (in metres) cause i never know if the other guy just dont want to respond or he never got any message :/

edit: Thanks Dead3yez. Will run the test asap (depends on somebody else :/) and post the result.

To not create another topic, is the VOIP working smooth now? No lags, no desync?