Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Games portraying the "real horrors of war"

In light of recent threads discousing weather or not it would proove effective to really include the realism and horror or real life warfare in games, i'm starting this poll. So lets here it. Who actually wants to have their games have everything in them that disgusts us about war? Granted it would be entertaining, but do we really want to be scarred for life by a piece of media?

I'm served, thanks. So I voted for choice 3.

Cant wait long enough for the next -real- war in this 'theater'

I'd like to see some limbs fly off when you take a direct hit from an RPG biggrin.gif , I doub't you just fall over like the war movies wink.gif

i voted for 1:st choise...but i didnt see as a "more-gore" option.

more morals, more difficult decisions..more right and wrong...thats what i want, the blood is just visual...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pete @ Mar. 26 2002,12:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i voted for 1:st choise...but i didnt see as a "more-gore" option.

more morals, more difficult decisions..more right and wrong...thats what i want, the blood is just visual...<span id='postcolor'>

Me too. I want to see the AI soldiers to freak out and to show some emotions.

I'm tired to see just a couple of emotionless terminators against a huge horde of enemies.

"2, attack T80, 12 o'clock"

"Have you lost your mind? I have one LAW left, I have a gunshot wound on my left arm and I can barely feel my legs. You can shoot me if you want but I'm not going after that tank."

Yeah, like the Normandy landing mission in MOH. With the shell shocked soldiers nodding their heads, and medics trying to operate on soldiers. biggrin.gif

A game which really intrigued me, was Deus Ex, as it gave you a huge moral responsibility, especially in the very cool ending!

This kind of "interactive stress and paranoia" is cool. Let's have 100000x more of that in games!

However, I'm not interested in more gore. Sometimes even OFP can make me think how incredibly grotesque and wasteful war is, and that is enough bad feelings for a game.

When it becomes too much of that, you'd adobt something similar to what the soldier probably feels on the battlefield: i.e. you'd rather be anywhere else than your current location. If a game gives you that feeling, you won't play it, but rather hang out on ICQ, whatever, trying to forget about it's horrors.

A cross-media example is the movie Schindler's List. I have this film on my video shelf and really think it has an awesome cast of actors and is well made. However, the story/images are so grim it makes me feel sick. This keeps me from ever watching it again. If a game did this to me, it would be unplayable.

I want all the horrors of war. I want it to be as real as it gets.

If some of you don't want or like the idea... THEN DON'T BUY IT! DON'T just attack it!

You want it real? Well, you can't get killed in front of your PC, but how about deleting the game from harddrive, and destroying the installation disc when your character dies? So if you want another attemp it would at least hurt your wallet smile.gif

maybe they should make it so injured and dying soldiers scream in agony.

or more missions that detail the horrors of war : execute civillians as reprisal for guerilla attacks, attack populated areas, or third world missions w/ armed children

What do you understand by "Do you want the horrors of war", what are the horrors of war for you personally?

I don´t think we ascociate the same thing with "Horrors of war", everyone imagines or had experienced something different under this term, and as i don´t want to get banned, i will not post any pictures or links to make you see what real war is about and you dont want to see that in a game or movie for sure.

Personally i think that if one thing is obsolete in this game it´s gore, what i would appreciate is OFP getting more realistic in technical aspects like vehicles, weapons.

Also as being said random "emotional" chatter would be great to help the atmosphere, in MOHAA everything is scripted, the soldiers on the beach etc., which is fairly easy to do with the flashpoint editor also. What is scriptet in MOHAA needs be automatic/randomized in OFP.

I´ve been in a war, not as a soldier, but as a child.

What I remember as my biggest horrors was that under one night my neighbour became my enemy, that grown up ppl suddenly started to scream and cry out loud, or began to shoot other ppl. The war in itself, tanks, rockets and planes didn´t scared my so much. It was the fury, anger, hate, sadness, pain, agony and all those horrible and in that moment so strong feelings that grown up ppl showed that scared me. I didn´t understood then, I was most confused. Today I still don´t understand, and I don´t want to. But I think that is something that no game shows today. I don´t think it´s such a good idea to implement it into a game either.

Id have to say some good old fashioned gore would be good. For a game with an "M" rating, not too much happens when you get fragged with a grenade, or get cought in the blast of an AT rocket when it hits the tank youre standing right next to.

I voted for the 1st choice even though it is impossible to do.

Stuff like limbs flying off can look horible(in graphics) such as Hidden and dagerous, it looked crap having a big limb fall off at the same place each time.

Also think how long it would take to make all the different damage. There are so many different ways that a bullet or shrapnel can enter.

It could also limit the consumer becuase I know a few people thaty wont watch Saving Private Ryan becasue of the realistic gore.

This could be solved with a setting in options

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ Mar. 26 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what i would appreciate is OFP getting more realistic in technical aspects like vehicles, weapons.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree...I would love to see OFP getting more realistic when it comes to weapons and vehicles. I dont care too much about the gore though...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hardliner @ Mar. 26 2002,14:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want all the horrors of war. I want it to be as real as it gets.

If some of you don't want or like the idea... THEN DON'T BUY IT! DON'T just attack it!<span id='postcolor'>

Dont know if most of the worst horrors of war could easily be put into any game... I mean blood and guts might be some people's ideas of the horrors of war but, although I have no personal experience of war I guess that the worst part is spending days and days under constant threat never knowing if you are safe. Of all the games I have played OFP gives the best approximation to this but on no where near the same scale... And besides if you get bored you can always walk away and get on with real life.

Then there is another point the worst horror of war has to be the deaths of people close to you... There is just no easy way that this could be implemented into a game, and if it was people would not want it... By which I mean not actually killing people but at least stopping from playing with them for a (short) while... But, the realisim just just increases with the length of time... For one game it might be ok to loose a team/clan mate, but what if my clan mate getting killed in one game meant that I would not be able to play with him for another week/month/year? You see my point? It is that kind of realism that people dont want in computer games.

OTOH, many games have an element of this, and having to wait longer or having a higher cost of death and thus having a greater value of your (character's) life makes the game much more exciting. Putting this in a team situation would also make things more exciting making you more dependent on your team mates and vice versa.

Then again who wants to mess with all that crap I just want action and blood and guts... All in all there is no perfect balance on realisim in games.

Well I'm not really bothered about having it 100% real like that. I like FP as it is, but I'm just stating now that if such a game came out I would buy it. I'm not like all want want want like it seems I have. I just copied the poll choice that I voted for. Realistic as in situations would be ok like in 3rd world countries I guess. Or sistuations like in the Middle East altho you hear about it everyday and nothings changed, also some people might be "hurt" by such a thing being in a game I presume. I don't crave a dead on REAL game like this tho, FP is great as it is. It would be good if bodies where ripped apart like from a grenade explosion. That kind of realism would be ok with me.

To the topic, No game around has yet to come close to the horrors of war, so computing technology has a long way to go before we can play games that can simulator horror like that.

When that is possible, Good, I like it.

It should be a good learning experience for n00bs.

a good storyline could add a lot to create the feeling of "the horrors of war"

it would not be impossible at all, even ofp in its current state could create that feeling if a mission designer would make it so...to force you to take moral decisions.

the graphical aspect comes second....

i think perhaps all of us have a different idea of what is "horrors of war"

I very much doubt that any game in the near future will be able to replicate the real horrors of war. The question is also if we want that (it was discussed, if you remember in a recent thread).

I am all for more realistic body damages. The human models are even more importrant then the weapon models, as for realism goes. This should of course not be over-done (i.e quake style gibbing), but realistic. So I voted for 1.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pete @ Mar. 27 2002,16:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a good storyline could add a lot to create the feeling of "the horrors of war"

it would not be impossible at all, even ofp in its current state could create that feeling if a mission designer would make it so...to force you to take moral decisions.

the graphical aspect comes second....

i think perhaps all of us have a different idea of what is "horrors of war"<span id='postcolor'>

Horrors of war... fearing for your life? Being scared shitless of a shell landing right on you ripping you to bits? Being crushed under the sheer weight of a tank? Burned alive? Being impaled with meathooks and hung up like a piece of meat to die slowly? Having a blade ran into your gut being pulled slowly up your chest? That would hurt...

In fact I have to agree that no computer game will ever manage to show this. After all it is a game. You are not feeling anything. The only time anyone experiances "horrors of war" would be if you go into the army and end up in a war yourself. You free to do that if you wish at your own risk.

#1 Folks, the reason I love this game because it has moved away from the arcade type Duke Nukem shoot everything that moves kind of game to a more realistic combat game.

I would like wounded soldiers to moan and groan when hit or to at least become immobilized and lay wounded on the field. I hit one fellow with my M21, and he just kept walking as if nothing happened. He needs to immediately fall down and roll around on the ground in agony.

I would like to see the enemy, when out of ammo, throw down their weapon and throw up their hands to surrender and say" don't shoot."

31020011803.jpg

i think that the soldiers are a little too stone cold.

when the guy next to you gets his face shot off, some one should puke. stuff like that, more emotional realism

Gore doesn't make the game, I think it's at a good level right now.

But what I would like to see is as some other people have put it, the AI fearing for it's life. I want this for a tatical reason, suppressive fire. Letting rip with a M-60 over the heads of the enemy should make them keep their heads down and let me move my squad into a flanking position, etc. Now this would be more realisitic and make the game more fun.

Don't know how you would do it for your side though. I mean what if your squad is pinned down and you want to move them. Will they obey you or stay put under the cover they have? I could see the screams of bug in the forums when the AI doesn't do what it is told smile.gif

COLINMAN