Sign in to follow this  
Flightster

Little things that make the AI great at times...

Well, just a topic to discuss the AI's GOOD things.. I know plenty of you have issues with the AI and how they respond to situations at times (so do I), but I have found that some things make you think: "Damn, this isn't so bad after all".

Here's something that I came across during domination:

We were in the midst of capturing a town (don't recall which one), when one of my clan mates got killed and told everyone that a small group was advancing outside of town. Me and another clan member were driving an MHQ towards his last know direction when suddenly all hell broke loose:

We saw a small group (had to be the ones we were informed of) in the distance and decided we'd just drive past them and get to where we were supposed to be (not wanting to risk losing the MHQ), the only problem was that they didn't agree with that decision.. Next thing we know a rocket is hurling towards us, hits the tires and incapacitates the MHQ, forcing us to exit the vehicle.. Bullets flying everywhere, with the AI determined to take us out.

We had 3 infront surpressing us, 2 on each side (left and right) trying to take us out and 2 others trying to come up behind us.. There was no way we were going to make it out of there alive, we were pinned.

This was defenitly one of the better moments I experienced while playing this game, and the AI defenitly showed great intelligence here.. Thank god we had backup on the way :D

I don't know if it was intentional or not but playing with the silenced mp5 I discovered I could sneak up on a line of guys and shooting the guy in the back of the line didn't alert the rest of them but shooting the guy in the front made them drop and go 360 Until I was ID'd. Pretty smoothly too.

I have gotten so used to being flanked that now I count on it and randomly pick a direction to back away and assault towards hoping to catch a few of them apart from the group. One time their sniper took off running towards my left but away from me. I clear the squad and when I moved in to snag the AA guys launcher. Blam sniper fire the dang bastard was in a bush somewhere letting me have it. When I finally found him he was just left of my original position of fire. I felt like he actually backed away from the engagement circled wide and came in to my original back left to engage me after deciding his squad was screwed. Now I never move in on a squad until I confirm they are ALL dead.

Hey Flightster,

In an ironic twist, I found this posted on an AI forum:

We were in the midst of defending a town (don't recall which one) from those cheating human players, when one of them got killed and told everyone where we were. We had to hurriedly throw together an ambush as we saw an MHQ come into the area. Suddenly all hell broke loose:

We saw the vehicle in the distance and decided incredibly, it looked like it was just going to drive past without regard for our presence. Well, we weren't going to let THAT happen! We sent an RPG is towards them, but it only took out the tires (damn data issues) but at least it is a mobility kill. Humans jumped out (yeah, incredibly they were uninjured) and we put down suppressive fire.. Bullets flying everywhere, we were determined to take them out.

We had them pinned and surrounded when they used their magic information sharing technology to bring in reinforcements.

It was fun, though. :)

:D

But seriously, I've got a scripted ability to run a camera around a scene, and I often find myself tracking AI to see what they do. More often than not, there is a method to what they are trying to achieve. And really more often than not, doesn't seem more irrational than some things people do. :)

There are some AI issues in terms of finding human players more easily than they probably should, but that appears to be getting better.

Well I was playing a mission (one I downloaded) and being an old CoD/BF2 player , had my squad run over to take up their positions. Didn't wanna waste a whole lot of time just setting up the ambush. Lets get at it. Rock and Roll!!

Well , non of them made it. They were all picked off as the ran over to their appointed positions by AK's, couple of heavy MG,s and a sniper or two.

After giving it some though (and dwelling a wee bit on some of the training I'd received in the KOCR's) I:

1) ordered the entire squad into prone with a caution and a hold fire command for good measure.

2) sent them SLOWLY crawling to their allotted positions where I heard "ready" , "target acquired" etc.

3) watched the enemy patrolling the area and waited until they made their turn so they were facing away form us (this would make it harder and take longer for them to acquire our positions).

4) gave the "open fire" ("weapons free" the voice said :rolleyes:) and in the crackling gun fire all the AI went down and we only had one wounded which the medic took care of.

Gawd i love this game - especially in SP. Gotta be one of THE best out there , even with it's quirky bugs. :)

I absolutely agree. :)

I've also noticed that, if you tell the squad "hold fire" then no amount of "engage at will" will ever over-ride that. You do have to tell them to "open fire" even if there are no targets around. That just seems risky. I mean, what if one of them takes it literally and just starts shooting?

Quirks and all, the whole package is really good.

Hey Flightster,

But seriously, I've got a scripted ability to run a camera around a scene, and I often find myself tracking AI to see what they do. .

Please, tell me more, how and where...

One way I use is this script:

http://kronzky.info/tracker/index.htm

Pretty cool to give a general idea. Plus, it is relatively easy then to see how different AI mods (SLX/VFAI/etc.) make a difference.

Another is a camera script that uses the camera.sqs. DMarkwick created it as an addon - I'll see if I can get him to link to it. It creates the camera at your position, then you can move it around (check your Buldozer controls in the options-controls-buldozer pulldown) and follow guys.

I've also got a set of scripts that I use to start a camera remotely (basically so I don't need to use the JTD cam to get to where I want to look) or even "see" from the internal camera of an AI.

The scripting here:

http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=33699.0

It is all kinda WIP, though.

(Sorry for the thread hijack....)

Flightster: hmm, your MHQ survived? Because they usual bash the vehicle with small arms and RPGs until it explodes, even if its empty. I actually prefer that, because in A1 we all jumped out of vehicle to keep enemy choppers/rpgs from engaging us :)

MHQ did survive, yes.. It was probably caused by the fact that me and my teammate got out of the vehicle, they all concentrated their fire on us, not the mhq.