Sign in to follow this  
markushaze

A Performance Tip....

Hello Community.

i am reading a lot on the forums, and i find some people with great rigs, unable to play the Game as they would like.

I for one, can not Complain. After using all the posted tips ( defrag ect ) ......

The game runs on my setup ( check sig ) with a steady 30- 40 FPS, All on very high.

Using Nhancer ( Tool for Nvidia Card owners ) i even put 4xS Anti aliasing.

As surly already written somewhere, the shortcut target line can be modified ( as with -noslpash ) to skip the splash screen.

Just ad -maxmem= ( your amount of RAM here , i put 4000 ) and you should be good to go.

-Cpucount=4 didn't change anything for me, but maybe it will help you?

-xpmode is useless in windows 7, i had no change.

All those i 7 or i5 owners, all you GTX 2xx owners, you should be getting better performance this way. it worked wonders for me.

Post your feedback :-)

No point setting maxmem above 2048, 32 bit apps can't use more. Although I'm not sure there is any point using that command at all...

@OP I think you will find that most ppl with a setup like yours are getting reasonable/acceptable performance...

I have a similar rig on XP and get lesser but ok results, it is the latest VGA/CPU users that are not happy and I dont think your results/settings nescessarily apply to those ppl.

Many of them have double they processing power but only see results similar to yours.

Edited by dogz

the -max mem does nothing at all.

Check task manager if you don't believe me.

"Arma2.exe -be superoptimized and run 10x faster plz okthxbye"

:(

It gets posted over , and over, and over again but nobody seems to mind that it does nothing actually.

Game runs good enough for me btw i'm not complaining, but the maxmem command does NOZZINK :)

Edited by Game__On

if it does nothing... please explain the improvement?

i am mostly playing custom mission called cipher with my friends in coop.

I had trouble, because i am hosting the game for them.

even hosting the game, and playing with my buddy's i saw, and felt the improvement..

are you saying its just Placebo effect ( no offense mod :-)

i cant undermine what i am experiencing, because e i have no way of showing you, but the game FEELS better and smoother .......

maybe it works up to the stated 2gb?

Well if the game works better it works better. Simple as that.

I tried it myself though and i the maxmem command is not changing the amount of RAM used by Arma 2 when i look in task manager.

Maybe it doesn't work for windows XP ? Anyway, do you see a difference in RAM usage with and without the command ?

thats what puzzles me...

All aside.

i have seen no change on my g15 keyboard display, and performance monitor, when launching the game.

It seems RAM usage is always around 40-50 % when the game is running .

with the maxmem tweak, and the game is loaded, i have arround 55-70% RAM usage, so it did do something :-)

of course this info is not very precise.

i will recheck this with taskman, and other means and post feedback .

thats what puzzles me...

All aside.

i have seen no change on my g15 keyboard display, and performance monitor, when launching the game.

It seems RAM usage is always around 40-50 % when the game is running .

with the maxmem tweak, and the game is loaded, i have arround 55-70% RAM usage, so it did do something :-)

of course this info is not very precise.

i will recheck this with taskman, and other means and post feedback .

hmm i could not get that to happen. No matter what, ram usage never goes above about 1.3 GB (including windows) .

IF there is actually more RAM used with the tweak then it's cool and what not, but i still really doubt it. Plz do post some results than i must see for myself again :)

markushaze by -xpmode do you mean -winxp or is this a new command line?

BTW the -winxp command line fixes issues for ppl running Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit with more than 6GB (or was it 8Gb) of ram so you would not be expected to see any changes on your rig.

I personally cannot find any change in ram usage with/without -maxmem=2048 under XP or Win7 64-bit. Arma2.exe only ever uses a max of just over 1gb of ram for me and often only 850mb.

May I ask what view distance you have set in game markushaze?

hmm i could not get that to happen. No matter what, ram usage never goes above about 1.3 GB (including windows) .

IF there is actually more RAM used with the tweak then it's cool and what not, but i still really doubt it. Plz do post some results than i must see for myself again :)

In XP my perf mon only ever shows a history of the game using upto 1.5gig ram usually around a gig

even if I run maxmem=2047

I also run processor scheduling and memory useage set to "Programs" in system properties.

Edited by dogz

In XP my perf mon only ever shows a history of the game using upto 1.5gig ram usually around a gig

even if I run maxmem=2047

I also run processor scheduling and memory useage set to "Programs" in system properties.

i get 1.9GB~ with the 2047, that Suma suggested back on the 1.01v.. I use XP64 with 6GB of system RAM, and 2GB of VRAM that can "show" 1.2GB~ when i have checked it.

i get 1.9GB~ with the 2047, that Suma suggested back on the 1.01v.. I use XP64 with 6GB of system RAM, and 2GB of VRAM that can "show" 1.2GB~ when i have checked it.

yeah I am on 32bit and I think you having the 64bit with 6G compared to my 2G ram 1G vram must be a bit more effecient.

I think in the latest betas my vga card is getting hotter so must check vid mem use.

I dont think it is any better at loading textures tho... when I watch my HD light it is full blast for the whole first run of Arma mark with lots of stutters.

That must cause a lot of slowdown. second run is a full 1000 points better with no stutters.

But more RAM and VRAM, maybe better at holding stuff in ram and in channel so as to not use the HDD as much.

ok, after rechecking, Ram usage dosent change, at least it is not shown to have changed, however, my HDD is defiantly not slowing my game down anymore, so RAM usage dose seem better.

The FPS are more Smooth with this tweak, suggesting it having SOME kind of effect,

I cant understand it.

My view distance is between 3700 and 4000m

oh well, ill just leave the tweak on. it has only a positive effect for me, even though i cant prove this...

yes with xpmode i meant winxp, my bad. sorry, post corrected :-)

I have noticed, that when changing to more then 4000m Terrain quality setting drops to high, instead of very high.

At the end, it seems its a placebo effect ( again, no offense, Placebo :-)

To answer your post by saying get new stuff will not help you.

I would run all in low, make sure physx is set to disable, put a max mem on the exe.

so it will look like this after left clicking the Arma2 Icon on desktop scroll down to properties and add this to the end of the target IE.

c:\program files\arma2.exe -maxmem=1024

I played Arma on a simular setup and it will crash every hour or two but you can play, Of course some of the nice systems crash every so often also.

Turn off all back ground services using Gamebooster. http://www.majorgeeks.com/Game_Booster_d5952.html

Good luck.