Sign in to follow this  
psychokilla

Vista/7 Gadget for Arma 2 Betas!

Using oktane's excellent work on creating an RSS feed for the Arma 2 Beta releases I modified a gadget I had previously made :

ezis01.png

Main Gadget

fdaioo.png

Settings Page

As you can see the settings page will provide you with the function to change the timestamp format and will also allow you to select a theme for the gadget (although I've only made one at the moment), I also added a couple of links at the bottom for particular forum pages as well as the BIS Studio site. (Any other requested links could be added later...Not for people's sites though)

This way you can keep up to date with the beta releases without having to constantly visit the beta release page.

Clicking on the links on the gadget will download that particular patch to your computer.

Download my gadget from the Microsoft Gallery here

Download my gadget from Oktane's site here

(More alternative links would be greatly appreciated)

Just download that zip file, unpack it and double click the gadget file inside to install.

You can access the actual RSS feed here.

Oktane is also working on the original Windows 7 RSS gadget to make it do the same thing, the difference with his is that you will have an update on the changes :

a2beta_flyout.jpg

(I'll add the link to his here when it's completed ;) )

Edited by psychokilla

How do you install these gadgets? I downloaded but i got a folder on my desktop that i have no idea how to install. :)

Also i used the Win7 news feed gadget before and subscribed to different sites, but i never saw it update realtime on my desktop...? When i went to the sites (armaholic being one) there was news, but not on my gadget.

Im a gadget moron i guess.

Alex

nice work

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

How do you install these gadgets? I downloaded but i got a folder on my desktop that i have no idea how to install. :)

Also i used the Win7 news feed gadget before and subscribed to different sites, but i never saw it update realtime on my desktop...? When i went to the sites (armaholic being one) there was news, but not on my gadget.

Alex

1. Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets

2. Make a folder called arma2.Gadget

3. Copy Rar contence to this folder

4. Start Sidebar

5. Add the Gadget

Alex

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 then just double clicking the gadget file should suffice. If you're not running those then sorry I can't really help.

On Windows Vista and Windows 7 your gadget are actually contained in this folder :

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar

Although AppData is actually a hidden folder by default, you would need to unhide the folders to see it.

Edited by psychokilla

Ok thanks. Downloaded from the other thread and its just a folder with a lot of files. Cant seem to find any installation file as such. Thaught this was the same. Will test this one.

Same thing with this one. The only file called gadget is the gadget.xml one. That wont install anything.

Saw armatechs explanation now. Will test. Thanks guys. ;)

Thanks.

Edited by Alex72

Try this link instead, I've just packed the gadget into a zip file, just unpack that zip file and then double click the gadget inside.

Ok i got the gadget to work hehe. But i dont get any feed. And when i click control panel it sends me to this forum's subscribe page. So i have to set the feed up from there?

Gadget just "refreshing" over and over.

Told you im a gadget moron.

Using oktane's excellent work on creating an RSS feed for the Arma 2 Beta releases I modified a gadget I had previously made :

Main Gadget

Settings Page

As you can see the settings page will provide you with the function to change the timestamp format and will also allow you to select a theme for the gadget (although I've only made one at the moment), I also added a couple of links at the bottom for particular forum pages as well as the BIS Studio site. (Any other requested links could be added later...Not for people's sites though)

This way you can keep up to date with the beta releases without having to constantly visit the beta release page.

Clicking on the links on the gadget will download that particular patch to your computer.

Download my gadget here (More alternative links would be greatly appreciated, I've uploaded it to the Microsoft Gadget Gallery too, just pending approval)

Oktane is also working on the original Windows 7 RSS gadget to make it do the same thing, the difference with his is that you will have an update on the changes :

(I'll add the link to his here when it's completed ;) )

"lawl"

Edited by W0lle

GLeek

How many more infraction points you need until you realize that quoting images is not allowed here? And if "lawl" is anything but constructive, I call it spamming the forums.

psychokilla

Good job, exactly what I was looking for :)

Here is a zipped version for those having issues with the unzipped version. psycho, can you update the url to this one and also provide a link to the RSS feed thread in case errors happen you don't want them blaming you :)

Also don't pass out the rapidshare one if thats the old one with the 5 minute timer and / after the url, not that it matters much.

http://www.506th-pir.org/scripts/a2betafeed/Arma2Gadget.zip

I don't know why but I can't seem to download the file, I'm using a vista. :( It's giving me encrypted error. Anybody knows how to resolve this? Thanks a lot!

psychokilla, nice work.

Can you make it resizeable (text needs to be resizeable to), 'cause on my 26" it is to small and text is hardly readable. Also maybe you should to add one more pixel space between the newslines, or make spaces customizeable to.

Refresh time can be made customizeable to ;).

Edited by SLAYER_RF

psychokilla, nice work.

Can you make it resizeable (text needs to be resizeable to), 'cause on my 26" it is to small and text is hardly readable. Also maybe you should to add one more pixel space between the newslines, or make spaces customizeable to.

Refresh time can be made customizeable to ;).

I have to agree, some customisation would be cool - especially text. It would be nice to read which version without having to download it to find out.

Does Oktane have an ETA on his Win7 gadget release?

Thanks for a very useful gadget! :)

Edited by Tavish