Sign in to follow this  
MSG Sparrow

Taxing choppers

Hey guys,

I was wondering why Arma2 won't allow me to taxi with my helicopter.

like the chinooks do in this video:

HjHb773FCPk

Cheers

Edited by MSG Sparrow

I don't think the wheels on helis work in ArmA 2, I tried to land the Seahawk like a plane but it exploded.

I don't think the flight model is sophisticated enough. You can land a moving helicopter but only at fairly low speeds; around 30 kph works okay for me. However that works fine with skids as well so I don't think the wheels are necessarily modeled as 'wheels'.

At least the simplified flight model means hover-taxiing is really easy. :)

For the video, you just need to put the clip ID into the youtube tags, in your case "HjHb773FCPk", i.e. [YOUTUB]HjHb773FCPk[/YOUTUB] only with the "E"s.

ps: Why is this video blank? I,ve put the youtube tags around the youtube url, is that the correct method? thx

Could be you don't have enough posts?

Think there's a minimum before you can imbed video and URL's

Maybe the modders can make the helicopter wheels behave like airplane wheels. That would fix it:)

And thanks "some kind of guy" the video is working now.

Hey guys,

I was wondering why Arma2 won't allow me to taxi with my helicopter.

like the chinooks do in this video:

HjHb773FCPk

Cheers

I think you have the wrong video posted as i couldn't see much at all. black blur far away. maybe you meant to post a different video.

Let's take this video at 0:39 then, for a good example of a taxiing helicopter.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RITbQHLLhU&hl=sv&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RITbQHLLhU&hl=sv&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And indeed, I'd really love taxiing helos!

Would an addon be able to change the vehicle physics enough to make taxiing helicopters possible? I don't get the impression that blade pitches are simulated to a high enough degree that you'd be able to get forward motion while still keeping all wheels on the ground. i.e. either the entire heli pitches forward or none of it does.

Would an addon be able to change the vehicle physics enough to make taxiing helicopters possible? I don't get the impression that blade pitches are simulated to a high enough degree that you'd be able to get forward motion while still keeping all wheels on the ground. i.e. either the entire heli pitches forward or none of it does.

I think the current helicopter wheels are on "break" they are just unable to move.

thats why they tend to flip over, the rotors just give enough power to taxi the chopper, but the breaking wheels wont allow it to go forward and instead crash the helicopter

Well, I'd really rather have to hover into a landing than roflcopter lollerskate down a hill uncontrollably. I think there are several reasons why you can't taxi in helicopters in ArmA. I think that ArmA's helicopters either don't have a wheel sim, or they are on brakes, and you can't manipulate the thrust vector or cone the rotors forward in order to propel yourself. I think it would be neat if the wheel brakes 'came off' at a certain throttle setting, and if the thrust vector could be manipulated, but I really can't see that changing in the near future.

Plus, I get the impression that part of the helicopter flight model includes some kind of magnetic attraction to the ground. They seem to stick to the ground quite a lot and then suddenly 'pop' off.

Edited by Max Power

Plus, I get the impression that part of the helicopter flight model includes some kind of magnetic attraction to the ground. They seem to stick to the ground quite a lot and then suddenly 'pop' off.

Do you know the story of Isaac Newton and his appletree?:)

I think BIS has to put proper wheels on choppers, and give us an option to "break" on all tanks, cars, planes and choppers.

That would be one feature I would like to see in Operation Arrowhead.

But I'm not sure if this feature will ever see the light in the good old flashpoint engine...

MfG Lee

Do you know the story of Isaac Newton and his appletree?:)

I think BIS has to put proper wheels on choppers, and give us an option to "break" on all tanks, cars, planes and choppers.

Okay, smart guy, riddle me this. Using Newtonian physics, please describe the behaviour of a helicopter that will stay in one spot on the ground regardless of the fact that its tail is 80 degrees in the air and its rotor is producing enough lift to sustain it there, but somehow not enough to move it.

Okay, smart guy, riddle me this. Using Newtonian physics, please describe the behaviour of a helicopter that will stay in one spot on the ground regardless of the fact that its tail is 80 degrees in the air and its rotor is producing enough lift to sustain it there, but somehow not enough to move it.

i was just joking.... but I think the breaking wheels stop the chopper from going forward if its tail is arround 80 degrees in the air. the flight model isn't really conform newtons physics, thats why these wierd things happen.

BIS should create some sort of (hand)break button, so we can break with all vehicles, including choppers and planes.