Sign in to follow this  
Chunk3ym4n

PLEASE add player smoothing

Arma 2 multiplayer in close quarters in a village is absolutely terrible with the rubberbanding players that zig zag everywhere. There should be a feature that would smooth the player's movement from one position to the other.

As I recall BF2 had this feature where it would smooth the player between two places instead of warping them from the lag. You could adjust it in the CFG whether you would want more player smoothing or less. Even though this sometimes made the player die when thinking he was at cover while the enemy player thought he was still in his sight. It mostly matters on the ping so laggy hit detection with the player running behind a wall is at the player's fault since he joined a high ping server. I would much prefer this then chasing a guy to only find out he stops and then warps 10 feet in front of him which really pisses me off when I am sniping.

I saw ArmA 1 videos where the same thing happens so I doubt they're going to fix it.

doesn't this have to do with the bandwidth and the server capability?

tweak minErrorToSend value in the server.cfg to a smaller number

doesn't this have to do with the bandwidth and the server capability?

No I think this is a client-side error-minimising device that tries to smooth over the lag introduced by the server-client connection. As it stands right now, ArmA2 unit positions seem to be updated suddenly, showing as "warp" that I'm sure we've all seen. I think what Chunk3yM4n is talking about is a different method of this positional updating, basically a "tweening" of positions rather than a sudden update of positions. Sort of thing.

A related concept, but has anyone else noticed that Arma2 has abosultely NO momentum built in for character movement on foot?

Go running full bore and stop at a dead stop. Watch this in slow motion from the side using decellerated time and you'll find that you are actually completely stopped the moment your finger releases the move key. Even though the slowdown animation is being played, you have actually stopped any forward motion at that moment.

Less obvious, but the same thing goes for starting at a dead stop and pressing the sprint key. The moment your finger depresses the key, you are already physically moving at full speed (even though you do see the animation transition taking place).

Indeed all foot movement is completely binary, meaning we get absolutely no momentum. I think this may contribute to the effect you're talking about.

Very troublesome indeed.

I think it would be really neat if the player smoothing you're referring to(i never heard that term before but I think I get the gist of it) depended on the length and heft of the weapon you're using. Weapon handability(not a real word) for CQB vs open spaces is a consideration I feel is sorely neglected in military shooters. I mean IRL its a HUGE consideration, (do i take the m4 or take the 16, design in bullpup or conventional layout, the whole notion of PDWs, etc). I dont think such a thing has been implemented in a shooter before. The notion is basically like this: moving through interior space wielding a DMR would be kind of clumsy like it is now, but switching to pistol raises the player smoothness value, or if you going to be doing alot of CQB work you loadout with a carbine or SMG and get a smoothness advantage in interior spaces. Would add depth and a new dimension to determining loadouts. And further render BIS the genre king :moto:

He means smoothing as in extra animation frames to help reduce the appearance of lag, if you play online you'll see people and vehicles warping around which looks stupid.