Sign in to follow this  
pendragonuk

Running on Linux with wine

Has anyone had any success running ArmA:2 on Linux using wine?

I can report that it will install and sort of runs. Like some other Windows games on Linux you have to run them windowed rather than full screen. That might have more to do with my duel monitor setup. I can get the game to start and I can see the menu screens. The writing is garbled so maybe I need some different fonts. Also the screen is very dark, but you can make out the ship in the background. I'm also concerned with the anti piracy software BI have chosen to use, it very well might not like running on a Linux PC rather than it's native MS windows.

look at game compatibility list in wine, it is not yet supported. I have openSUSE but no luck running the game. Linux is way faster than windows, it's just not as user friendly as windows. I would buy a linux copy of the game if it became available.

Edited by InFireBaptize

I would love to see a Linux version of the game. I will continue to investigate running it on Linux. I have a small windows partition with ArmA and ArmA:2 installed, nothing else. The majority of my system is devoted to PCLinuxOS. I'll have a look at running it in a virtual machine, that might be the way ahead for windows gaming under Linux. Just not sure of the 3D support on V-M.

x3 :p

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Also would like it to run in Wine because then it will eventually work in ReactOS. Would be interesting to hear from the developers outlining what it is that doesnt work...

look at game compatibility list in wine, it is not yet supported. I have openSUSE but no luck running the game. Linux is way faster than windows, it's just not as user friendly as windows. I would buy a linux copy of the game if it became available.

Ditto :)

I have Ubuntu 64 bit running as dual boot along side Win XP, really the only thing I keep XP for is games and a few graphics apps I run (Max, Paint Shop Pro etc). Nothing wrong with XP but like most people Linux is faster and more stable for me, it sucks that games are so hard to run outside Windows.

Strange thing, I only just checked the Wine apps list last night. ArmA 2 is in the list but listed as garbage, lots of gfx glitches - looks like everything renders white under Wine :confused:

I'd be interested too if anyone can get it running under Wine :thumbsup:

I'd be all over a native linux port like a cheap suit, not so sure about wine.

I've got a few games to run under wine, usually the Open GL based ones (eg Doom 3 and variants) do OK, the DX ones (eg Half Life 2) suffer a bit. I'm happy (I use that term advisedly) to get 25-30fps running Arma2 under XP, but 10fps under wine would be unbearable.