Sign in to follow this  
boom!

Dogs of War - questions

Hi guys,

the good : amazing game

the bad : multiple 'bugs', very frustrating

It seems a shame that such an amazing game is hamstring'd by so many difficulties.

I have a few questions which I can't seem to find the answers to:

I have version 1.03.

1. Buying and Flying Helicopters:

I've read some of the previous threads. Some say they can get Helicopters in Dogs of War, others can't. I am able to build an aircraft factory at my base but when I select the aircraft building menu in construction menu it says "No factories". What are the prerequisites for being able to make helicopters? Why does it seem some people can buy and use them, whereas others can't? I have plenty of money etc... Is it something I haven't done in a previous mission?

2. Pressing 2 key crash to desktop:

As commader if I select a group and then press 2 I crash immediately to the desktop (I've done this ten+ times!). All the other menus 1 through to 9 (except 2!) work OK. Has anyone else experienced this?

3. Buying units for another group:

I am assuming the only way to do this is buy them yourself and then transfer them. Is there another way?

4. Sending money to another group:

When I am High commander. If I send money to a group leader will he use it to create new units as he sees fit? I haven't seen this happen. What does he do with the money?

5. City Menu.

Logistics v Defense. What does the AI do re these two settings.

6. Is there a quick and easy way of finding out who controls a group on the map (except by hovering your mouse over the group or selecting it)? It gets a bit *tedious* to have to hover, get them name, go back to your group, select the units and then transfer them.

7. Sometimes a group leader won't respond to a waypoint. He just sits there for ages. Is is he out of fuel? If so how so I send him a fuel truck? I also can't seem to create one?

8. 7 cont.... How do I control the logistics side of the mission. Can I create salvage trucks etc.

9. Does dogs of war ever get artillery other stuff? I know there are multiple threads inside this mission.. I have only got as far as capturing lopotev, haven't transferred him to the Russions yet...

10. Are there any FAQs, decent walkthroughs out there on these common but seemingly unanswered questions?

Anyhow, if you have an answer I would be grateful for your thoughts. Yours hoping for patch 1.04 and a better manual!!!!!!!

Regards,

boom!

This I have experienced, too. And, also, I have 1.03 patch, previous ones did not do this. I was wondering what is it for... but it seems it is "bug" :).

2. Pressing 2 key crash to desktop:

As commader if I select a group and then press 2 I crash immediately to the desktop (I've done this ten+ times!). All the other menus 1 through to 9 (except 2!) work OK. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm not entirely sure but on most computers Alt+F2 tells the computer to close whatever program is open.

About helicopter flying- When I played I was with the CDF/NAPA Alliance so I was able to buy one (+ a second accidently) from the CDF base.

Other than that warfare doesn't work on my computer too well because its too slow or something so I don't mess around with it too much.

I'm not entirely sure but on most computers Alt+F2 tells the computer to close whatever program is open.

It's Alt+F4 (works in ArmA2 too). Shouldn't be related to his "2" CTD tho.

It's Alt+F4 (works in ArmA2 too). Shouldn't be related to his "2" CTD tho.

Ah okay I think I read that 2 and assumed it was F2. I'm not sure then.

Hi All,

I too am very interested in the answers to these questions.

I've been playing DOW for quite a while and restarted several times, but I just can't find enough information on how to manage the resources to feel that I have any hope of completing the mission.

Here is an interesting example of something that happened just last night.

I captured a strong point with a Howitzer (I think that's how it's spelt) gun and at last I thought "Great! Now I can take care of that pesky enemy tank." but as soon as I approached it, it just dissappeared???

Is it that only the enemy are able to have powerful weapons and we have to beat them with pea shooters?

Also, I'm really tired of my Razor team. They always get killed and so I just find a safe place for them and order them to stay there and hold fire. Then I just crawl around and capture everything on my own.

Does anyone know if the developers monitor these forums? I see lots of issues and questions posted but I don't see any response from the developers.

Developers (if you happen to ever look), although I really like ARMA2, I don't think I would be interested in buying ARMA3 before it got to at least version 2.5. Also I would probably not consider other BI products before lots of research.

Also, BI pleeeeeease update the manual. The current only includes about 10% of the information necessary to affectively play this game.

Not a very satisfied customer at the moment unfortunately.

Luke.

Hi All,

Also, I'm really tired of my Razor team. They always get killed and so I just find a safe place for them and order them to stay there and hold fire. Then I just crawl around and capture everything on my own.Luke.

Luke, I'm with you. I played the demo first and thought Wow! this is the game I want but ,unfortunately, it is littered with problems, whether real or imaginary on my part!

I *think* I understand the helicopter problem, is it that you can only buy it from the CDF base? (Then why be able to by an aircraft factory at the NAPA base??) - I originally have been playing with NAPA. In fact I have now extracted all the pbo fmission files into the mission editor and had a look at them (if people want to know how to get infinite money (well, a very large amount of money) - ask me 'cos I've just discovered how to do it without a trainer...only in single missions though...not the campaign) I must admit that I haven't trotted over to the CDF base from the NAPA (guerilla) base to try and buy a helicopter yet... but maybe tonight...

2. Yes, it is the 2 key not the F2 key. I know Alt-F4 sends a WM_CLOSE message to any window. It happens when I am high commander and I am trying to find out what targets the group has and can attack.. I just crash straight to desktop... it is still happening for me and it is pretty bad.

With the WARFARE option it could be very interesting it there was a bit more documentation to know what the *expected* AI behaviour was in certain situations ie What does a group do if you tell it to guard a waypoint - I've seen a group continue to wonder around a waypoint I've selected it to guard and let about 10 enemy unit come sauntering passed!! What is the expected behaviour of STEALTH, AWARE, DANGER etc.... If the manual/developers could state explicitly what the EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR WAS I would feel a lot more confident that my AI group is doing what I want them to do!

Talking of Helicopters, cheating very badly ie giving myself lots of money and making some rather uber-groups, helicopters seem a prize waste of money if you give them to anyone of your groups under you. I gave a group ten helicopters (the big bad ass russian ones) and within TEN minutes they had all been shot down!!!! What a complete load of ****!:eek:

I am also slightly tired of my Razor team. I stupidly in my DOW campaign joined another group and then left it, leaving the rest of razor team with the group. I then found myself after capturing Lopotev in a situation where one of the other guys was dying near Mista.... I didn't have anyway of rescueing him and had to roll back the game a few saves or so and then command the group away from the fight etc.... I must of crashed/reloaded >100 times (maybe that's a slight exaggeration!) even WHEN I AM IN NO DANGER!!! Hmm.

I just want more explanation from the game!!! I don't mind dying in a firefight, I just want to know what I can and can't do. Why can't I get artillary as Luke said? Why can't this and that.....? Boo.

If anyone is an ARMA 1 fan? is/was ARMA1 tactically/strategically the same as ARMA2? Could they answer any of these questions?

boom!

2. I've made a thread in the troubleshooting section on that bug I encountered during Badlands... sometimes I still forget about it... and there I go CTDing.

5. Logistic gives more money from transport trucks... Defense invests that money into defensive structures...

Ideally, the farther away from the front a town is, the more logistic it should provide...

In the other hand, a town which is close to the line of combat should have it's defense value maxed...

You can select the groups with the F1-F12 keys... don't know if that answers your question though...

I also would like all those questions answered....

Lots of doubt flying around.

EDIT: About Razor, just leave them in the HQ as soon as you can afford more troops.... that's what I did in Badlands!

I have a different question related to Dogs of War. Is it possible to buy other equipment then weapons? One serious example: since the mission is starting almost before the sunset and team Razor hasn't been equipped with binoculars or nvgoggles, how am I supposed to see in the darkness?

I have a different question related to Dogs of War. Is it possible to buy other equipment then weapons? One serious example: since the mission is starting almost before the sunset and team Razor hasn't been equipped with binoculars or nvgoggles, how am I supposed to see in the darkness?

See the NVgoggles thread...

Some useful tips there....

And yes, you can buy that equipment from the weapons menu... just not in this mission.