Sign in to follow this  
Greyscale

Time fast-forward

I realize you can accelerate time up to 4x as fast but I noticed in most missions 4x the speed isn't working for me. It works in the boot camp missions. It works on 1 mission during the campaign, forgot the name, sometime right before Badlands. Delaying the Bear maybe?

The display shows 4x but it's not going that fast.

Besides that can there be a possibility to like jump ahead 6 hours or something? Im on Dogs of War and the pitch blackness is getting annoying to play in. I would rather somehow jump to morning time. I was hoping maybe the barracks you can build in construction mode would work, but they didn't as far as I could tell.

(super bump)

In Manhattan there are certain times that the targets run errands or whatever, and I really don't want to play the game for 6 hours before being able to do them. Is there no way to jump forward in time? Maybe a cheat? A console command? If so, how do I open console?

The display shows 4x but it's not going that fast.

I think thats CPU related, if it cant process it that fast then it simply wont.

Also it can be disabled by the mission maker(s); my guess is because heavy scripted missions and triggers don't like time accel. and/or they don't want to take away the immersion

Well, that was a disappointment. I left the game running all night so I can arrest a guy at 6AM game time, because it said he would be at the post office.

But he blows up either way.

That was the reason I wanted to skip through time.

I'm guessing the mission maker disabled it for the campaign missions, unless it works fine for others?

Thanks for the answers.

Lol! God damn man! Anyways, I give you +10 for even trying that approach.

But I think NeMeSiS is correct. The reason it doesn't go at 4x is because your hardware doesn't have the time to do that plus do everything it needs to do every frame. Fully understandable in this particular mission. I don't think BIS would ever be jerks about this sort of thing, and will allow you to accelerate time.

:p

Yeah, I thought I was so clever. There's probably a reason the notes say 06:00 and the mission starts at ~10:00. They couldn't expect everyone to play the game for 20 hours on that mission. Oh well, it was worth a shot!

Hm I wonder if there's any way I can trick it into letting me go 4x. I understand the game is supposed to be realistic, but there's nothing fun about running a mile in 2x speed in an open field :protest:

One note that may or may not be helpful (keys listed for any new people reading): from my experience the actual rate that things speed up when you use the time compression is affected by what/how much is being rendered and displayed, so you can make things go faster by looking or using free look (default is holding down L-Alt and using the mouse, or Keypad *) and looking at the sky or the ground. If I'm running on foot somewhere up and down the hills (generally when I don't think there are any threats nearby), I bring up the mini map (Ctrl-M when available) and start running the correct direction, turn on the time compression, and free-look up; things go much faster, and I can still navigate and avoid rocks and fences and stuff with the mini map.

I think when several different squads of friendly and enemy AI are patrolling and interacting, it's not really possible to predict what will happen. So, that means, you can't just skip into the future and have everything around you be like it would have been if you had played all that time at normal speed.

Mission side, it's possible to set the time to some other time, but that does not effect the unit positions, etc. If a unit is on a schedule, what would happen if you suddenly skipped time 9 hours into the future?

Max Power, skipping ahead in time would be useful for skipping night time or skipping to times where certain tasks must be accomplished.

And to "I think when several different squads of friendly and enemy AI are patrolling and interacting, it's not really possible to predict what will happen."

Speeding time up speeds up them too. The entire "world" is being processed twice as fast. Things 10km away are processing, though the devs probably don't make it process EVERYTHING. Like if you have never been near an enemy camp their AI is probably disabled and they just stand waiting for you to show up, then they start reacting.

Thanks for the tip TinManNFO, I will try that.