Sign in to follow this  
NoxNoctum

ARMA 2 AI + Processing power question

Since the AI is powered by the processing power of the computer, does this mean if I have a less than powerful processor the AI will suffer as a result? In other words, does the power of my CPU directly affect how the good the AI is?

No offense but i find this question to be extremly stupid. How good the AI is has nothing to do with your cpu. Your cpu might limit the amount of AI you can have on a map at once before your pc starts to struggle. You can put a nr of AI with the skill slider to its highest and still get good fps. Its all about how many you can do at one time.

"How good the AI is has nothing to do with your cpu."

Aaaah beg to differ and disagree. For the A.I. to be all it can be, it requires tons of cpu cycles. A less powerful cpu is gonna result in less than desirable A.I. computing. Now add in the obvious bugs that need to be fixed, and performance enhancements needed.

Everything suffers as a result.

No, a less powerful CPU won't make the AI dumber. Basically regardless of your CPU power the AI will still carry out the same algorithms, the only difference being that a slower CPU will have lower performance with more AI.

You can see this if you create a mission with 2 opposing squads. Test the mission then add another squad to each side, then test again. Keep doing this and you'll notice that the AI doesn't get any dumber, they keep fighting and carrying out tactics just like normal, but your frames per second drop because your computer has to slow down to attempt to keep up with the AI calculations.

Eventually if the calculations become too much for the CPU the game comes to a crawl and freeze frame (basically your CPU halting any algorithms from passing through it til after the ones it has buffered are fully handled) or the CPU crashes as effectively your CPU is caving under the pressure.

I've seen this happen on a server where a bad script caused the mission to spawn about 10x more enemies than it was supposed to, the ai were incredibly stupid in the beginning but started to improve as we thinned the herd

I remember back in the ofp days AMD advertised that ofps AI would be better with their cpus. AI should be same smart in normal conditions. But if a 1000AIs battle it might take some more time to process these AI routines and they may react slower.