Sign in to follow this  
foxer

Get sued for saying a company sucks online ?

Click here.

Blah losing freedom of speech everyday,even though some forums are run by nazis. smile.gif

the first time the "illegal operation" popped up, I tried to talk my computer into breaking the law...

the article illustrates cases where ppl abused this freedom of speech. posting 100 posts of false information(may be even malicious) is not excercise of, but abuse of, first amendment.

just like the guy who counter sued and got 40K. he had right to say what he wants, as long as it was truthful.

Defamation of charactor or slander, and mearly "talking shit" about a company are 2 very different things..

if you defane or slander it usually involves citing a reputable source and claiming they said something that wasnt true.. like if I said "According to consumer reports, the chevy blazer explodes and does 8 flips if a squirrel shits on it"

and spread that around as if it is accepted fact..

"this sucks" usually is seen as an opinion, and opinions are not illegal, despite how untasteful they may be..

Please people, Micorsoft bashing? Please, it's too soft a target...like making fun of Britney Spears or the Spice Girls.

Besides, whats the option, Linux, Mac? (I hear they have just released Tetris for these systems, a major breakthrough).

before you flame me to death, please note I am taking the piss. smile.gif

yea, you can hate MS and get linux, unix, Mac.. but you cant play OFP or most other games.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Mar. 21 2002,00:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"...According to consumer reports, the chevy blazer explodes and does 8 flips if a squirrel shits on it"<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

I heard Bill Gates is married. Now that is strange. I dont want to sound tooooooo macho-man, but if I would have that financial background, I probably wouldnt marry. There are too many beautiful women out there!!!  biggrin.gif

And from the women perspective: why doesnt she get divorced. She would be the richest women on earth (after the queen of course). And she could develop the female version of Microsoft. Something like Micro-extra-soft or something, where 'delete' is called 'Tipex' instead (any further proposals?).

All Billionaires divorce, why dont they? They probably learned to know each other in the 'HE is looking for HER' contact-section of the 'Bits and Bytes' magazines.

shall I call my lawyer for saying that?

Lets no forget people, that most of these cases of online defamation involve people with a direct link to the company. This is a major factor in the eyes of the law, what such people say usually goes beyond mere opinion and potentially can be construed as fact.

A generalised comment based on little to no insider information, from a regular member of the public would be extremely hard to establish as defamation. The fact is that the general public are not privvy to the same kind of information an "insider" has/had access to, and what they say is merely opinion. However as the article clearly establishes there is potential for people/groups of people to take their "opinions" too far and become maliscious, then I am sure the courts will eventually decide that a line has been crossed from mere opinion to harrassment. So go ahead make your comments about companies that you don't like, but don't make it an important part of your life, that might get you in trouble.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Besides, whats the option, Linux, Mac? (I hear they have just released Tetris for these systems, a major breakthrough).<span id='postcolor'>

Well a lot of games are released for linux, Quakes, dooms and so on (they are crappy, yeah i know)..

Return to castle wolfenstein is coming for linux.. I am not the best person to talk about this, my workbuddy would know better. He plays FPS games all the time in linux..

Has anyone tried to play games using the "Wine"?

It's a program that lets you use Windows programs in linux.

I think the best way to solve this is to have linux for work and Windows for fun..

And you don't necessarily have to pay for Windows..

Oops, what did I say? Did I say something? No, I didn't say that.

tounge.gif

(I'm tired)

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM................ ERHM .................... Nancy Drew.................ehm yea Nancy Drew

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 20 2002,19:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the article illustrates cases where ppl abused this freedom of speech. posting 100 posts of false information(may be even malicious) is not excercise of, but abuse of, first amendment.

just like the guy who counter sued and got 40K. he had right to say what he wants, as long as it was truthful.<span id='postcolor'>

Man, you have some fucked legal habits in the US. I wonder why that is? I don't think there is any other country in the world where people sue each other so often...

Fictive example case:

Old woman gets hot coffee in her lap in McDonalds.

US: Court ordes McDonalds to pay 500000 trilion $$ to the poor woman.

EU: Court orders McDonalds to buy the woman a new cup of coffee. She also gets one discount coupon for a BigMac.