Sign in to follow this  
Dogtags

1.03 frustrations

Like some that have complained about 1.03 performance that have the same hardware as me (AMD 6000+ / 8800 GTS) well: Patch 1.03 is better performance than 1.02 for me.

Win 7 folks - install it: ITS FREE! And update your drivers. All of them.

Feel the speed!

Alex

Patch 1.03 won't even install for me? I downloaded from softpedia, extracted, but once the patch starts it jumps to 100% and says:

"Patch file is probably dammaged. You may need to download it again.

Error in file cannot find xdelta3.exe, phase 5."

I uninstalled, reinstalled yet the same error shows up.

Given the fact that a computer slows down over a period of time for many reasons, then isn’t this windows reinstall fix a bit misleading? Of course your computer is going to run much better and faster if you reinstall windows (what computer doesn’t?) Sure you may see some improvements in this game just like you would in all the other programs you run aswell, but don’t be fooled into thinking that it was windows to blame for all your troubles. Most games don’t need such drastic action as to reinstall windows, and if this game does, then a few months down the line you will be reinstalling windows again.

Edited by Jackdaniels

A bit different from everyone else... the game gives me a ctd whenever I try and enter the campaign (up to the Manhattan mission). I've disabled DEP under Vista as it was an 'Appcrash', but that hasn't fixed the issue.

I'm yet to try another mission, but... yeah, not looking so good for 1.3, considering 1.2 worked just fine.

EDIT: Looks like a campaign bug of some sort, as the single missions work fine. Hmmm...

revert to the start of the mission you're on

Given the fact that a computer slows down over a period of time for many reasons, then isn’t this windows reinstall fix a bit misleading? Of course your computer is going to run much better and faster if you reinstall windows (what computer doesn’t?) Sure you may see some improvements in this game just like you would in all the other programs you run aswell, but don’t be fooled into thinking that it was windows to blame for all your troubles. Most games don’t need such drastic action as to reinstall windows, and if this game does, then a few months down the line you will be reinstalling windows again.

All I know for a fact is NOTHING worked at all to get ARMA2 playable on my XP. Whether it was corrupt DLL's or some other software causing the problems I could not identify and fix it no matter what I tried or re-installed.

In the end all that worked and worked beautifully for a few days now is installation of windows 7. I have no more CTD's at all ever in SP or MP. I do not get the Receiving... screen anymore, I do not get any texture corruption or slowing down of the game. In fact the game has never looked this good no matter what I throw at it. I can have a view distance of 10000 if I want. This of course chugs to load the view but once loaded it runs fine all of this while I have textures at highest possible!

I am flabgasted at the difference. The game still has core issues like house textures loading metres from you at times but this does not detract from gameplay.

I can now say this game is a touch of brilliance hiding under a cload of leagacy code, graphical and otherwise.