Sign in to follow this  
Dogtags

1.03 frustrations

Same probs here....it used to run fine...now it crashes every 4 minutes...

SERIOUSLY, do they test these patches???

Imma big fan...but starting to loose my loyalty, and my temper...cant even friggin make proper patches!

1.04 quick or a hotfix!

Fact : Some people fixed the issue by installing a fresh OS or changing drivers. If it doesn't work for you, stop telling everyone else that they're wrong.

There is no such fact. There is just people that have IMPROVED, not FIXED core ArmA II performance issues with such drastic measures. I myself run a fresh XP installed just for ArmA II but I would hardly consider that a fix or something I wanted to do. I could load up FarCry 2 or Crysis or another graphically intensive game and have it fly without needing to do anything so unusual.

There is no reason to defend BIS, they are quite experienced in this business and I am sure they know perfectly well how to pull out the facts from these posts and disregard the venting.

I too thought 1.03 would fix the game however for me it has not.

The same CTD's are happening and the framerates have just not improved enough for the game to be enjoyable/playable.

For me I want to play a game not tweak the thing constantly just to get 5 minutes enjoyment before something else goes wrong.

Ah well :rolleyes:

I've got the same white triangle bug, I think, this is its most extreme incarnation [barring the CTD that followed!] I'm in a T-72 under there... Somewhere...

errorhud.jpg

Am I going to have to uninstall and reinstall everything or has some clever camper worked out an easier way?

Edit: Sorry, specs AMD 7850 BE @3.0ghz

9600GT (I know, I know)

4GB Corsair Ram

Vista (I know, I know)

Edited by DJH

What makes you sure its software related? My guess is temperature, flashing graphics usually means that.

You are right. Flashing graphics are often a consequence of your graphics card running too high temperatures. At least that is the case with me. I got temperatures of 90°C while playing ArmA II yesterday (32°C outside).

I've opened my case and put a wind mill to blow into it. Of course the temperature dropped and the graphic glitches were gone in ArmA II. I've played at least 5 hours today.

Maybe this could be of use for some of you.

After a bunch of hours playing ArmA II with the latest patch, well, I have to unfortunately confirm all what has been said through this topic in terms of complaints/issues.

I have experienced the same here (ATI 4890 1GB/ E7300/ 4GB RAM), and this is kind of sad.

I'm getting the slight impression that BIS Main/Core Engine coders are way far from their office in Prague (This is the holidays period after all). As most of the patch 1.03 fixes are not that necessary in the first stance.

ArmA II needs some DEEP core changes:

• It requires to be optimized, the performance is a serious problem at the moment because it does negatively affect the gameplay experience.

• There is a serious need to finally figure out a solution for the textures loading issue.

• The CTDs are a serious pain in a... to say the least

Honestly, I really don't want to reinstall my OS just to play ArmA II properly, so please, take the time you want but get ride of these problems forever.

Regards,

TB

Edited by Thunderbird

Yeah, I've gone back to 1.02 - I can play it now :(

I'll wait for 1.04 I think, or a patched 1.03 patch ;) If it means not playing multi-player until then ... I'll just have to play Men of War MP until then.

Yeah, I've gone back to 1.02 - I can play it now :(

I'll wait for 1.04 I think, or a patched 1.03 patch ;) If it means not playing multi-player until then ... I'll just have to play Men of War MP until then.

Just to summarise my final situation.

Installed Windows 7 on a clean HDD and installed/patched ARMA2 to 1.02 and I can now play the game without many of the issues I had previosuly on XP with 1.02. Still see the core ARMA2 problems like slow loading flashing building textures, plastasine looking trees and trees/buildings popping into existance but I can now play, even multiplayer works using binoculars and all, very little lag and very few CTD's, only 1 in a few hours play.

I wont go to 1.03, I would rather be able to play single player missions or play with the editor than having all those issues I had before.

Based on my experience I can recommend Windows 7, it is also very nice to use, refreshing to see something this good from Microsoft for a change.

I've only used Windows 7 on my new computer with ArmA2 so I can't compare it to Vista or XB but I agree, I think I'll be getting it when it's released.

I just tried removing the "Community Base Addons" and that really helped, I've still got stuttering but it's only what I had with 1.02 now, no 4 second hangs anymore.

Is it just me or is it impossible to get a lock on targets with the UAV in 1.03....

It was prettty hard on 1.02, but now it's impossible...

Can someone confirm this?

i have extremly Performance Problemes whit the new Patch 1.03. When I fly with a Aircraft or a Heli, my Performance are unplayable (10fps or lower). I go back to the 1.02 Patch. Please BIS fix this Performance Problems!!

My System:

Intel Corei7 @ 4,2

6 GB DDR 3 Ram

2 x Ati HD 4870 in Crossfire Mode

Windows Vista

Chris

After automatically downloading v1.03 on Steam (darnit! Forgot to turn off auto-updates!), there is no way to go back to v1.02... (correct me if I'm wrong).

- white triangle tearing of graphics (solved with update to latest nVidia drivers)

- Big slow-down in performance. I was getting silky-smooth, stutter free movement in villages/forests with v1.02 (>20FPS subjectively with no unexplained drops offs), but now with v1.03, frame rates are in the 4 - 12 Fps @ 1920x1080 (installed a FPS mod to check for sure). I've had to dial back more than a few settings to get it back to ~20fps, but *still* get some frame rate dips in high-density environments that were not there before, and affect game play.

- Nvidia 8800 GTS (320mb) running no hotter than before (monitored with Riva Tuner). Case top always open, BTW.

-Latest DirectX was installed back in April 2009

-WinXP, Core Duo 3200+, 4GB, defragged 1.5TB HD

I think the biggest lesson here, is that if you can avoid buying off of Steam, do so. Just for these reasons in this thread. It's easier to revert to an older working version without the long download times (even for patches). This was unavoidable here on the island of Okinawa where Arma II is no where to be found in English version in the stores.

- I will play v1.03 on these slightly reduced video quality settings until the next patch comes out. It is still playable, with no more "WTT" (White Triangle Tearing) after updating the nVidia driver, but I hope someday to get my framerate back on higher quality.

Cheers,

Doc Rings

Unfortunately there is no way to revert back to 1.02 on steam (in fact, if you turn off auto-updates you still can't start the game without updating)

Best bet is to try verify the integrity of game cache, or try delete local content and download it again.

I dont say that your complaint is not justified. But: I'm getting tired of all those "Not properly working, dont want you to give a chance to improve it, want my money back" threads and persons.

How about helping to improve the game?

How about BIS not foisting unfinished product on their customers. Product which it would be almost impossible to not know of the problems. Thats unless they only tested it on 1 machine. They had their chance when the game was in development. And 3 more chances on top of that and they did NOTHING. Better off waiting until ArmA 2 v1.16, when future hardware can run this pile and then BIS can pat each other on the back and say it was their patch.

Heres a clue BIS, OPTIMIZE the damn game. There is no way a game that looks and plays like this should be such a freaking resource hog. The graphics are nothing to write home about and a hardcore flight sim has more stuff to keep track of CPU wise.

Edited by DarthElvis

A hardcore flight sim has more stuff to keep track of CPU wise.

As I understand it, the CPU in this game is not utilized enough, read that from another expert like you in theses forums...

I find it disturbing that customers need to install a non supported OS to get this game to work properly! However a newly installed OS always give you some performance so I wouldn't hit the drum for buying W7 just yet. I didn't notice any mayor gains in performance going from a 2 year old XP installation to W7.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

You are right. Flashing graphics are often a consequence of your graphics card running too high temperatures. At least that is the case with me. I got temperatures of 90°C while playing ArmA II yesterday (32°C outside).

I've opened my case and put a wind mill to blow into it. Of course the temperature dropped and the graphic glitches were gone in ArmA II. I've played at least 5 hours today.

Maybe this could be of use for some of you.

Also people have a tendency to do there own "tweaks", not uncommon that fan speed is lowered. Then after reinstalling (all back to default) they think something magical has happened.

Edited by Baxalasse

Totally disappointed with 1.03:(

All the graphical bugs with ATI 4850 are remaining and there is even a couple of new ones. E.g. my whole squad must have invented an invisibility pill for they all dissappeared all of a sudden and I could only see the green diamonds in midair.

Textures stilll flickering, missing, loading slow as hell, silver heads, helmets burying deep in soldiers heads...terrible. So long we had to wait only to get this...?

All this kind of complains about bugs'n stuff makes me wonder why people always blame the game? I have Radeon card myself and I havent had problems like this. So if one person has it i strongly doubt its the games fault. Or maybe i just havent played this game enough to see all these.. Atleast I havent occured any critical bugs.. like missing soldiers etc.. But I can admit that sometimes textures load too slowly, but that cannot count actually a bug.

All this kind of complains about bugs'n stuff makes me wonder why people always blame the game? I have Radeon card myself and I havent had problems like this. So if one person has it i strongly doubt its the games fault. Or maybe i just havent played this game enough to see all these.. Atleast I havent occured any critical bugs.. like missing soldiers etc.. But I can admit that sometimes textures load too slowly, but that cannot count actually a bug.

Haven't seen any mayor bugs myself, however game performance could be better I think. But there you go, in PC-world every person has a unique setup/attitude to maintain there system, and this is the troubleshooting section. Just hope people know when testing new patches they need to reset there custom configs and remove any mods....

There is a portion of players that have only minor issues but game is playable generally and then there is the rest of us, read all the posts not just this one. I have been on these forums since I got the game 5+ weeks ago now and along with many others and I mean MANY I have gone through what seems like hell just to get the thing playable.

It annoys me that you comment like that without researching first.

Also in regards to overheating, fan speeds etc, thanks and no it isn't that. I for one never adjusted a thing on my settings but even if I did I would still wonder why every game I played worked fine except ARMA2. Only games I have ever had major issues with (unplayable) was the ARMA series.

Anyway for now I am ok that it works but I have had to turn my PC world upside down to do it, took a lot away from the enjoyment of the game.

First Aid is still FUBAR after you respawn why on earth make a module that dosent work 100% ?!

Because ill quote a pc gamer's golden rule "dont go for perfect, go for good enough" If a game doesnt run very well, dont get todays hardware, get tomorrows and if a game runs ok and you can live with it then keep with what youve got until that hardcore game actually arrives on PC and you are FORCED to upgrade..................................

Ok that all sounds just peachy, but here's the gig. Arma2 is a 32Bit game. Doesn't address anything close to current OS's and memory. The standard NOW is 64Bit multi-core processing. That means Quad core people and the game runs best with Dual core. It can't address anything over 2096 of memory cause of the 32Bit limitation.

The problem is the game is BEHIND the hardware.

So you're saying go out and buy the next generation Gear when the game can't help people with gear that's already high end? How come the low end machines (yours included) get's better performance than people with Uber systems?

You're logic doesn't make any sense.

Question for everyone having overheating issues/extreme graphical glitches...

Are you using the Nvidia System Tools for the new drivers? When I used those, my card would not self adjust the cooling fan, and my card overheated. After removing tools and drivers and then reinstalling drivers only, it worked fine.

BTW, Haven't played for more than 30 minutes total, just 2 quick missions, but I haven't yet noticed any major differences with the 1.03 patch other than some units set on GUARD waypoints show up to the party a little sooner than they used to. Haven't tested any stealth missions yet, looking foreward to that.

I did notice some textures take even longer to load, as others have mentioned.

My system : Q8200 @2.33GHz, 4GB 1.33 GHz RAM, GTX260 190.xxWHQL, Win XP 64bit

Edited by arthur666

Yea best to use older Nvidia drivers like 185.20 or 185.85, the new ones are kind of buggy.

Also had some issues with white traingles and FPS dropping to zero but that was because the VRAM was full and after I set the videomemory from very high to high everything works fine.

A bit different from everyone else... the game gives me a ctd whenever I try and enter the campaign (up to the Manhattan mission). I've disabled DEP under Vista as it was an 'Appcrash', but that hasn't fixed the issue.

I'm yet to try another mission, but... yeah, not looking so good for 1.3, considering 1.2 worked just fine.

EDIT: Looks like a campaign bug of some sort, as the single missions work fine. Hmmm...

Edited by r10k