Sign in to follow this  
Scatty85

Basic guide??

Hi,

Apologies for this noob question but I cant seem to find a "basic guide" to scripting. I've been looking on this forum and I'm getting pretty frustrated that all the info seems to be aimed at people who seem to already know what they are doing and not someone like me who doesn't know where to write the script let alone try anything out.

Surly you scripting geniuses weren't born knowing this information??

Cheers.

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of Arma scripting.

It helps if you have some basic coding knowledge, but its not needed.

Start here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Scripting

Then for reference use:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands_ArmA2

When I started with this scripting business it was for OFP and then we didn't have the Wiki :)

And there are some users here which you may call "wizards" their knowledge is beyond the Guru.

And if you stumble upon any troubles, please search these boards or the Arma editing and scripting forums.

Most topics has been covered if not more than ones.

Get used to get frustrated tho' its part of the coding, it all gets back to you when your hard work pays off into something which works.

Good luck!

Edited by Taurus
Sorry Zombie xD

Try crawling through the "Biki" http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Topics you can get script descriptions and samples. There is very much to be learned there. www.ofpec.com also has many tutes for many situations. Welcome to the always rewarding and mostly frustrating world of scripting!

Edited by {USI}_Zombie
Taurus beat me by that much with the same reply!

Ok I've read that and got the basic idea but where do I write the script?

I'm trying to write a basic IED script. Ie man gets near a car and it blows up.

created a player

created a car and named it bombcar

created a trigger which is 10m x 10m circle around the car

In the On Act field I've tried to write

bomb = createVehicle "Bo_GBU12_LGB" getpos bombcar;

So my understanding is that when the man gets within 10m of the car the script will create a bomb at the bombcars position. But I keep getting "missing ;" from the editor??

This makes no sense?!

You're missing some ():

bomb = createVehicle "Bo_GBU12_LGB" (getPos bombcar);

With what kylania said... for fact's sake... you dont NEED the parentheses but it helps to make it look more organized. I often use

bomb = createVehicle "Bo_GBU12_LGB" position unit;

Always works for me. Not sure but I think if you remove the "bomb =", you might not get the error anymore. Don't think the game likes you defining variables in the editor. I will give this a try momentarily.

Doh.. had it backwards:

bomb = "Bo_GBU12_LGB" createVehicle getpos bombcar;  

That works.

Oops. lol I actually referred to a script of mine that does this and didn't even realize I typed it backwards here too >.>

Really helpful thread! This should be sticked, much help sources here for scripting. I never even knew that wiki was out there. Thanks for posting those links!

Really helpful thread! This should be sticked, much help sources here for scripting. I never even knew that wiki was out there. Thanks for posting those links!

:confused: There IS a sticky with all this. And the first link is to that wiki. :cry2:

There is no well made simple tutorial for BIS scripting. The information is all fragmented and ambiguous. Try to read this, its the closest to what you want, I guess: http://tactical.nekromantix.com/tactical/wiki/doku.php?id=arma

There should be something very simple, full of basic tutorial samples and describing the general system of the game like classes, inheritage / overwriting, configs, file formats etc. In a pinned thread. There is no such thing.

Edited by afp