PhelanKA7

SP Mission - Littlebird: Day One

LB_D1_Cover.jpg

DOWNLOAD

Armaholic page

--Littlebird: Day 1 ---

by PhelanKA7 (phelanka7@gmail.com)

Single player mission for ARMA2 v1.03

Littlebird v2.0 by Cyborg11 is REQUIRED (DOWNLOAD)

ChDKZ AH-6 reskin by JehzusScream is OPTIONAL (DOWNLOAD) It is required if you are using the mission file "SP_Littlebird_v12_ChDKZ.Chernarus.pbo" however.

Description:

In this (and the missions to come) you take on the role of Pyoter Kaztrulya: A former member of the ChDKZ (Chernarussian Movement of the Red Star). You fled Chernarus two years ago after the CDF imprisoned and then executed your father. You were one of the most highly skilled chopper pilots within the ChDKZ before you left the country, but now the Movement calls you back again.

You have left your job in Russia as a pilot for Aeroflot, and are back in the Fatherland. A stolen AH-6 has made it's way to ChDKZ hands and needs a bold, daring, and brash pilot to command her. You are that pilot.

Notes:

-I realize that some of you may dispute the ChDKZ using an AH-6 in their operations with a RACS skin at that. But I beg that you use your imagination. Please keep comments about this to yourself, unless you have a better idea.

-This is my first ARMA2 mission, and probably the first game mission/modification I've ever released since a couple of WADs I made for Doom back in the day. Any constructive criticism or advice you may have is very much welcomed. Positive feedback is fun too :D

-I am slowly learning the scripting for this game, and hopefully soon I will be able to update this mission to be more replayable. As of right now the target takes one predetermined route to his destination, and I would like to make it more random.

-Other things on my wishlist for future updates on this mission are a ChDKZ skin for the AH-6, and maybe some Russian voiceovers. This is probably pie in the sky however, and I wouldn't hold my breath.

-Cyborg11 for the AH-6 mod. This wouldn't be possible without it!

-critanda for his "Morning Assault" and "Operation: Enable Sky" missions. I have to admit that I learned how the editor worked from the example laid out in these two wonderful missions.

Anyways... That's it! There are some more specific details in the README.txt that I hope you all will take time to read. I hope some folks enjoy this mission. I had a lot of fun making it.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

One important thing I forgot to mention in the README or Release Notes:

Upon termination or escape of Father Gulash (WIN or LOSE) you must make it back to the Boss (Akula character) standing in front of the Air Traffic Tower at the ChDKZ base.

I've never been a fan of missions ending in the middle of an action. Plus this allows the player to choose whether to complete the defense of Chernagorsk or not. I apologize for not being clear on this in the Release Notes or Readme.

Edited by PhelanKA7
Added Armaholic link

I'm about to update this mission with a new script that will make Father Gulash a bit more unpredictable in his route. I'll be releasing it tomorrow.

I'd still obviously like to hear some feedback on this mission.

Is it too hard/easy? Is it too spread out across the map? Is anything broken that I need to fix?

Please let me know.

Also, I have thought about making an alternate version of this mission that doesn't involve the Littlebird, but is still a "Cat and Mouse" mission with the same types of objectives. The player's vehicle would be a motorcycle. Let me know if any of you would be interested in this and I'll get to work on it.

It is always a good idea to offer a version of the mission which doesn't require any addons. If you are considering the motorcycle, you might also consider the bicycle. I find it surprisingly quick and it is quiet, which is an advantage if the enemy uses motor vehicles.

Why don't you create one version with the motorcycle and the bicycle and also add the two-wheelers to the Littlebird version to give the player the choice (or a motivation to play it again with a different means of transport)?

It is always a good idea to offer a version of the mission which doesn't require any addons. If you are considering the motorcycle, you might also consider the bicycle. I find it surprisingly quick and it is quiet, which is an advantage if the enemy uses motor vehicles.

Why don't you create one version with the motorcycle and the bicycle and also add the two-wheelers to the Littlebird version to give the player the choice (or a motivation to play it again with a different means of transport)?

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I probably will go ahead and release a version with the motorcycle. A bicycle won't work because the target in question is driving a car ;)

A bicycle won't work because the target in question is driving a car ;)

You'll be surprised how fast the Arma 2 soldier can pedal! :)

I don't remember exactly but I think I went over 50 km/h, that's above the urban speed limit for cars...

Version 1.1 is released. Enjoy! :)

MEDIAFIRE Download link

Armaholic page

Change Log

v1.1

-------------

-Added a script that will cause Father Gulash to take different escape routes at beginning of mission, randomly.

-Changed the chopper to the new NAPA reskin by JehZus.

-Added a more specific Briefing/Intel report at beginning of mission. I also added some OOC (Out of Character)

notes from me, to help anyone having trouble with the mission.

-Changed the Scenario title so it correlates better with the name of the PBO/Zip.

-Added some traffic to the roads so that the first car you see moving is not so obviously Father Gulash's.

-Added a few more units to the Chernagorsk battle.

-Added "No-Fly zones" to simulate UN/NATO guarded International Waters. If you fly out there and get shot down by USMC fighter jets, don't say I didn't warn you

-Made the ChDKZ base look more like a *BASE*

As always I would really like to hear some feedback! Even negative feedback obviously which at most times is much more useful. My ego's in good shape unless you just want to tell me that this was the best mission you've EVER played :thumb_down:

Haha, anyways...

You'll be surprised how fast the Arma 2 soldier can pedal! :)

I don't remember exactly but I think I went over 50 km/h, that's above the urban speed limit for cars...

To answer the question above me... that's all well and good, but I don't think a ChDKZ would be caught dead on a bicycle. Sorry, there will be absolutely no bicycle version of this mission. Keep an eye out for a motorcycle version however that will be ADDON FREE. Probably sometime this weekend or early next week.

Edited by PhelanKA7
Added Armaholic link

Downloaded, going to try this soon bud, I will let you know what I think later on tonight!

I'll be releasing v1.2 very soon. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning (EST).

The new version will have more locations on Father Gulash's itinerary, will work with ARMA2 1.03, and a new skin by JehzuScream for the AH-60 ChDKZ livery. Stay tuned.

Downloaded and played your mission, I always enjoy chopper missions and for sure enjoy the little bird ;-) I liked the small story you provide (dying to find out more about that girl that asked for me ^^) and i also liked the updates on gulash's position.

The assault on chernogorsk is set up perfectly, maybe it could do with some more attacking units.

had to try the mission like 4 times cuz i wasnt sure how to identify which car on the road was the right one.

I'm looking forward to your next missions!

P.S.: there isn't anything like a AH-60 little bird, there is the UH-60 which is the black hawk, there might be a variant of it called AH-60, but if there was, it'd be still the black hawk.

the "little bird" is called MH-6, with hydras and miniguns AH-6, which is used in your mission.

sorry for being a smart-ass ;-)

Version 1.2 (FINAL) is ready to fly.

MEDIAFIRE link (SP_Littlebird_v12.rar)

As stated in the Change Log below, this version has two different PBOs in the RAR. One is for the RACS skin that should be compatible with all versions of the Littlebird ADDON. And I have also included a version that uses a new custom skin made by JehzusScream that gives it a ChDKZ scheme.

Here is a link for the Armaholic thread on that ChDKZ reskin. Or you can download it directly here.

I will be working on a version of this mission this weekend that does not involve Littlebirds, and will be ADDON free. I am going on vacation next week however, and if I don't finish it by this weekend it'll be at least a week before that is released.

Also stay tuned for Little Bird: Day Two.

=Changelog=

v1.2

-------------

-Thanks to JehzusScream I have included his reskin of the AH-60 for a ChDKZ livery. This is to give Pyoter's

Little Bird the appearance of being a piece of stolen piece of property. See above (in the README included in the RAR) for download/installation info for installing the ChDKZ livery. I have also included a version of the mission for those not wanting to use the

ChDKZ skin, or are using an earlier version of the Little Bird addon than v2.0.

-Updated to work with version 1.03 of ARMA2.

-Now even more randomy! Prepare for a possible twist. Also, the mission start time has been randomized. It may begin

anywhere between noon and dusk.

v1.1

-------------

-Added a script that will cause Father Gulash to take different escape routes at beginning of mission, randomly.

-Changed the chopper to the new NAPA reskin by JehZus.

-Added a more specific Briefing/Intel report at beginning of mission. I also added some OOC (Out of Character)

notes from me, to help anyone having trouble with the mission.

-Changed the Scenario title so it correlates better with the name of the PBO/Zip.

-Added some traffic to the roads so that the first car you see moving is not so obviously Father Gulash's.

-Added a few more units to the Chernagorsk battle.

-Added "No-Fly zones" to simulate UN/NATO guarded International Waters. If you fly out there and get shot down by

USMC fighter jets, don't say I didn't warn you :D

-Made the ChDKZ base look more like a *BASE*

---------- Post added at 05:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 AM ----------

Downloaded and played your mission, I always enjoy chopper missions and for sure enjoy the little bird ;-) I liked the small story you provide (dying to find out more about that girl that asked for me ^^) and i also liked the updates on gulash's position.

The assault on chernogorsk is set up perfectly, maybe it could do with some more attacking units.

[/url]

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I kind of wondered if that was too weak of an assault set up by the CDF there.

But my main goal was to create an encounter that would end successfully on it's own after a length of time. I fully intended for the defense of Chernagorsk to serve as a distraction to pilots who would rather duke it out than pay attention to their primary mission ;)

had to try the mission like 4 times cuz i wasnt sure how to identify which car on the road was the right one.

In the fourth "text message" in the briefing there is a grainy photo of the priest next to his vehicle. There is also a vague description in the text. If you must know specifically, it is a red pickup truck with a white top. Can't get much more specific than that :p

P.S.: there isn't anything like a AH-60 little bird, there is the UH-60 which is the black hawk, there might be a variant of it called AH-60, but if there was, it'd be still the black hawk.

the "little bird" is called MH-6, with hydras and miniguns AH-6, which is used in your mission.

sorry for being a smart-ass ;-)

No problem. I have never served in the military, and I'm not hardcore about my knowledge of any military specifically, so I'm not gonna argue your point :)

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the AH-60 however. I realize that Wikipedia isn't correct 100% of the time though. (EDIT: Argh. I see what you are talking about now. Yeah, AH-60 should be AH-6. Sorry for the typo.)

Thanks again for the feedback. Check out the post above for the final update to the mission. Also expect much more to come in the coming weeks... In the form of new missions of course:

I'm REALLY tired of testing this mission OVER and OVER ;)

Edited by PhelanKA7

Uhhh... Not sure why this post is here. I was trying to edit my last post in the thread and it made a new post. Sorry.

Edited by PhelanKA7

Here's the edited version of mission so it can be used with last release of littlebirds: http://rapidshare.com/files/274860723/SP_Littlebird_v12_RACS.Chernarus.pbo.html

Link no longer works, could you please host again somewhere. Perhaps use MediaFire if RapidShare has limits.

I presume this file allows LittleBirds 2.2 to work with this mission.