Sign in to follow this  
iHarri

Anyone running Vista 64 and having fps over 30(or having "sync" near 30) in campaign?

Vista 64 + ArmA2 fps  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Vista 64 + ArmA2 fps

• <30
    • >30

I can't get fps to go over 30 in campaign, 2 weeks later is the only exception. No matter what I adjust it will always be 26-30. Resolution, number of cores, graphics low-very high, AA, AF. :eek:

Training missions are all fine.

Already tried tweaking with settings from different threads, no help.

Q9450(3.2)

Nvidia 280 (drivers won't make any difference)

4 GB

X-Fi

Vista 64 + SP2

Edit. Vertical sync is OFF from Nvidia control panel

Edited by iHarri

I usually get 33 on vista 64. Funny thing is no matter what I do to my settings it's always 33. Sometimes it dips down to 28 in some situations but then right back up to 33.

It hits 33fps like vsync is controlling the frame rate. It wants to go higher but there is some kind of wall stopping it.

There is definitely some optimizing to be done with this game. Especially on new hardware.

I had exactly the same problem as you until I turned vsync off in the catalyst control center, and by off I mean hardwired to off for all games. The 'off by default' option didn't work - arma2 must specifically turn it on.

I can't get fps to go over 30 in campaign, 2 weeks later is the only exception. No matter what I adjust it will always be 26-30. Resolution, number of cores, graphics low-very high, AA, AF. :eek:

Training missions are all fine.

Already tried tweaking with settings from different threads, no help.

Q9450(3.2)

Nvidia 280 (drivers won't make any difference)

4 GB

X-Fi

Vista 64 + SP2

Edit. Vertical sync is OFF from Nvidia control panel

Same here, cant get above 33/35! But performance is still good and stable. Maybe it is just Fraps

Q9450

4890 TOP (same with previous 8800GTS SSC)

X-Fi

Vista 64 + SP2

4 Gig Ram

Set the "Max Pre Rendered Frames" option in the Nvidia control panel to 8. That greatly improved my framerate above 30.

Set the "Max Pre Rendered Frames" option in the Nvidia control panel to 8. That greatly improved my framerate above 30.

EDITED!

That did work...................................Kinda.

I'm WAS getting 65 FPS! 1680 x1050 with normal and high settings! When I switched it to 8 it worked perfectly but caused some weird loading issues with the game.

However I went back and changed that setting and tried each 1-8 to try to overcome the loading issues and it quit working altogether. Even setting 8 which boosted my frames initially no longer does anything. Back to 33.

I don't know wtf at this point.

Edited by ICE-Raver

Max Pre Rendered Frames to 8 is not helping(better this way if it adds 8-frame delay). :o

Seems that when using -cpuCount=4 just one core is about 90% and the others are much lower. And when setting it to one fps is still the same...

Alright. I rebooted my system and got it working again with no issues this time.

By default my pre-rendered frames were 3. I was stuck at 33 fps all the time.

Turning pre-rendered frames to 5 made my fps go up to 44.

Turning pre-rendered frames to 8 made it jump to 64.

I haven't played yet but I ran around the main base on a co-op map and it was very smooth.

Thing is this makes no sense whatsoever. Everything I have ever read about this setting says that turning it higher will reduce FPS.

In any case. It's working right now. I'll do some testing and get back to this thread.

Try some campaign mission.

I found that using 8 added to much lag into the game, it's much smoother but there is a noticeable delay.

Install Windows 7 on a separate partition - it's free to try at the moment, and boy does it help your frames in ARMA2. I went from Vista Ultimate x64 to Win 7 x64, and will never go back. It's also a hell of a lot more stable!

I am too lazy to do dualboot just for one game. Everything else is working like a charm, and Vista 64 is very stable.

the reason is that he campaign missons are filled with so many extra stuff and scripts to make them so cool it really drain the computer for power when it have to keep track of so much...... if you compare a big singleplayer mission and a normal campaign mission you can easy feel the difference..

I play alot online in a squad and the best advice to making good stable mission is the following

KISS = keep it simple stupid

Then the mission will be stable and run smooth.

Install Windows 7 on a separate partition - it's free to try at the moment, and boy does it help your frames in ARMA2. I went from Vista Ultimate x64 to Win 7 x64, and will never go back. It's also a hell of a lot more stable!

Yeah, but in SEVEN months, you'll have to reinstall all your apps again. ;)

Waiting for the full launch of Win7.

the reason is that he campaign missons are filled with so many extra stuff and scripts to make them so cool it really drain the computer for power when it have to keep track of so much...... if you compare a big singleplayer mission and a normal campaign mission you can easy feel the difference..

I play alot online in a squad and the best advice to making good stable mission is the following

KISS = keep it simple stupid

Then the mission will be stable and run smooth.

Well, there is somekind of problem in game engine 'cause nothing will help fps. Core number=nothing, graphics settings=nothing, I have to try underclock cpu if it's still staying stable 30 fps :D. Or it's a problem with Vista 64 'cause some are saying that fps is much better with 7.

Well, there is somekind of problem in game engine 'cause nothing will help fps. Core number=nothing, graphics settings=nothing, I have to try underclock cpu if it's still staying stable 30 fps :D. Or it's a problem with Vista 64 'cause some are saying that fps is much better with 7.
well in some MP the frames stay less than 35fps and on others i can max out to my Vsync(100). In SP i can get more than Campaign, lots more, Its all campaign. Why? i dont know, and in the long run i really dont care. the game is best in MP/userSP, it is a sanbox. The campaign is embarrassment to Bis i would hope? and they will make it nicer for new players.

well in some MP the frames stay less than 35fps and on others i can max out to my Vsync(100). In SP i can get more than Campaign, lots more, Its all campaign. Why? i dont know, and in the long run i really dont care. the game is best in MP/userSP, it is a sanbox. The campaign is embarrassment to Bis i would hope? and they will make it nicer for new players.

The campaign is fun but it's totally let down by the voice "acting" (acting might not be technically correct tbh, I'm not sure what you call it) and there are some major AI issues (they can be circumvented but are no less annoying).

I never buy BIS games for the SP but I can see why someone might get angry if that was their reason for buying it. The campaign definitely did NOT work properly out of the box.

Having said that, I didn't really have any performance related issues vis a vis the campaign. Some slight texture issues in Cherno, but that's about it.

Eth