Sign in to follow this  
volkov956

AI and Ladders

Is there a way in MP to get AI to use ladders? like tell a soldier to go up a ladder onto a roof to scan the horizon similar to OFP Resistance. I seem to not see this option since Arma 1 and now Arma 2

SP and MP

Or is there a mod similar to Arma 1 that adds more AI awareness to ladders

I don't know if the player can command them to or not but I have seen them use them. If you go into the editor on Utes and tell them to go to a high #ed position in the control tower they climb a ladder to get there. Maybe you have to tell them to go to a position on top of the building.

You can't command an AI to climb a ladder in-game like you could in OfP by using the action commands. I climbed onto a roof and the AI just stood at the base of the ladder no matter what I did, even pointing on the roof and telling him to move there wouldn't do anything. In OfP Resistance I told my sniper AI to climb a ladder into a tower and he went nuts taking out targets, to bad you can't do it in this one so easily.

I'm pretty sure you can, we did it in multiplayer in the demo and I've done it in the Editor in Utes.

Basically you tell the unit to move to the position above the ladder, then they should climb there and snipe/observe.

We placed an AI sniper in a tower and he was great.. actually saved us heaps!

Yapa

Yes indeed, you can already! Coincidentally I was just about to write about this in connection to the spacebar-action-menu, .. was about to make a screenshot until I realized, that you already can do this, haha.

First: you have to stand near enough the building in question or else you will only be able to order a unit to the main-building-position (mouse-screen-to-world doesn't seem to be accurate enough, or it's by design...)

Anyway, e.g. at the airport at Utes, there are these towers, where the top-roof is accessable per two ladders. All you do know is, select a unit, hit spacebar and point at the roof. While doing that, you can switch through the available building-positions, and here the top one would be position 18 or position 19. Click, and your unit will indeed use the ladders and walk up there. It's very nice.

Though, it would be even better, if the house-positions would in fact have meaningful names in-game like roof, kitchen, etc.. (position n just doesn't really cut it)

Ahh, thanks for the tips guys, will make my tactical options more complete now that I know how to get some men up high!

Basically you tell the unit to move to the position above the ladder, then they should climb there and snipe/observe.

We placed an AI sniper in a tower and he was great.. actually saved us heaps!

I wish i could say the same, whenever i get AI ontop of a tower they always end up falling off the edge.

I managed to do it last night. I was at the air strip in the middle of the big map (I'm not good with names) and there was a tall tower so I just selected my sniper by pressing F2 and pointed towards the ladder and the yellow (or green?) circle appeared on the ladder with a line pointing upwards. 1x mouse click and he promptly climbed the ladder and sat at the top of the tower sniping/scanning, as instructed.

Jero.

Ok seems to work in Editor but not always In MP there is some buildings with ladders AI refuse to use tho