Sign in to follow this  
zeep

No hardware / 3D Audio ?

ah right, so I've no use for OpenAL then

You can still use it for games that support it under XP. Probably better to have it installed rather than not. It won't do any harm mate.

Eth

Hi. Sorry to start back an old thread. The debate between ethne and Private Plowjoy was hilarious.

So has there been any official response to these surround sound issues in Windows XP? I have a xi-fi card, Windows knows my speakers are 5.1 surround sound (in Sounds and Audio Devices), drivers updated to the latest that I could find on the creative website, and still no joy. I'm using that XAudio2 applet that allows you to test your audio out, but I'm still getting 2.1 sound.

The only thing I'm unclear on at this point is "enabling Dolby Digital". I've never had to do that to get 5.1 on any game. At least, not intentionally.

Please help, folks!

Hello,

I would also like to report that my 5.1 does not work.

I have a simple setup that works in every game, except ARMA2.

Sound Blaster Live 5.1, Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers.

Everything is configured correctly, and as I said... every other game works correctly in 5.1.

With ARMA2 I only get stereo and the stereo gets repeated on the rear speakers, quite annoying! My friend with a slightly better sound card, is also having this problem.

Yapa

Hi. Sorry to start back an old thread. The debate between ethne and Private Plowjoy was hilarious.

So has there been any official response to these surround sound issues in Windows XP? I have a xi-fi card, Windows knows my speakers are 5.1 surround sound (in Sounds and Audio Devices), drivers updated to the latest that I could find on the creative website, and still no joy. I'm using that XAudio2 applet that allows you to test your audio out, but I'm still getting 2.1 sound.

The only thing I'm unclear on at this point is "enabling Dolby Digital". I've never had to do that to get 5.1 on any game. At least, not intentionally.

Please help, folks!

You might try enabling Dolby digital live. I know that helped people in Lord of the Rings online to get 5.1 playback.

Eth

Please help, folks!

Just out of curiousity, are you enabling 5.1 in windows speaker setup or the x-fi control panel. I only ask cause the X-fi control panel as a habit of over-riding windows default.

Make sure you haven't hit the matrix button on your speakers too (if it has one), this is a common mistake I make by accident all the time.

Also make sure CMSS-3D and SVM are disabled.

I used my XFi with Arma 2 and had perfect 5.1 surround before I went SLI.

After I went SLI I lost my PCI slot so now I'm running realtek onboard HD 5.1 and it is working flawless as well. Everything is positional. I can stand in place with people talking and spin in a circle and it hits every speaker perfectly.

If you goto armaholic you can find a sound test app that helps locate sound problems related to arma 2

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

It's also in the mods (released) section of these forums

Thanks for that Bulldogs, going to test it now on XP... hope I can find the source of my non 5.1 sound.

Ok.... i used the little program and I can safely say that my rear speakers do not work in it either.

I have a Sound Blaster Live 5.1.... I also have all the latest DX files and system is fully updated.

Is there a fix for this? Why does ARMA2 use this system when every other game uses a system which does work!

Yapa

Edited by Yapab

If your rear speakers work in other games then it's likely a problem with communication between your sound card driver and the software audio processor. I've just gone blank and forgotten the name of the software engine arma uses but that testing program uses the same engine so look for it's name there, or just read the earlier posts in this thread. Then search for their website and look for updates (may also help to search Microsoft.com) then install that and/or search their website/forums for a solution. And if all else fails, try different sound card drivers.

Yeah, in the HQ when a helo is starting I always hear it to my right, even if I turn around...

This applies to explosions and other sounds as well. I have made posts in the bug thread and on Dev Heaven bug tracker (made videos to show it). Seriously hope BIS finds the answer to this one as it confuses the hell out of you playing.

yes the key question is if You have disabled CMSS3D and SVM ...

then reset ingame audio settings to default ...

recheck windows speaker and audio device settings...

make sure you got latest drivers and DirexctX Redist March2009 update

then still unable get proper 5.1/7.1 ?