Sign in to follow this  
vanchatron

dfgfdgfd

The game is about realism, not being a fast-paced FPS. Buying the game while looking for a Call of Duty or Battlefield type of game is like trying to save money on gas by buying a Hummer.

As you said, the game's not for you. I wouldn't bother waiting and expect it to eventually become the game you want it to be, either. Meaning, don't hold your breath. There are games like ARMA 2 for people that like deeper games, simulations. There are games like BF2 for people that want the look and feel, but not necessarily the realism--as you said, and I agree, that's okay. Different strokes for different folks.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Why add THAT MUCH realism to a game though is what I'm saying. If you want that much realism in a game, go join the army & make money while you're doing it.

There is a massive (almost inconceivably) gap between wanting more realism in a game/simulation and actually seeking out real life "adventure" in a real military. ARMA 2 and games (sims) like it fill that gap for those of us looking for that it. Clearly, no such gap exists for you, but that's okay (not saying that to insult you).

Why add THAT MUCH realism to a game though is what I'm saying. If you want that much realism in a game, go join the army & make money while you're doing it.

Because it is for the people who want "THAT MUCH realism". AKA, not you?

There are a lot of people here who hate unrealistic simplistic action games like BF2.

I was also expecting a big action game when I bought OFP (the first game by BIS). Sure it was completely different to anything I'd played before, and the difficulty was hell for me - but over time I grew to like it and stuck with it :)

Edited by Maddmatt

Now you're getting cranky.

I'll turn that around on you: Why add SO MUCH kiddy, arcadey unrealistic junk in Call of Duty and Battlefield?

And, fyi, I am joining the Army.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising might be that balance your looking for?

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising might be that balance your looking for?

This could be very true!

OK guys thanks so far for the replies, but while we're on this topic can you recommend any decent FPS's that DO match my criteria?

You covered them in your post :p

The gameplay in Battlefield 2 is just the type of FPS I'm into, along with games such as Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Counterstrike Source, Crysis, Bioshock, Call of Duty etc etc. These are all fast paced FPS's with decent movement, graphics etc.

The next Call of Duty and Bioshock games are on the way. And BF Bad Company 2.

OK guys thanks so far for the replies, but while we're on this topic can you recommend any decent FPS's that DO match my criteria?

---------- Post added at 05:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

I'm not getting "cranky" whatsoever, did you come to that conclusion based on the fact there were a couple of words in my post which were capitalised? :confused:

You say "why add so much unrealistic junk" in CoD & BF... Because they're games? Games push the boundaries when it comes to being "unrealistic". No game should strive to be exactly like the real world, we live in the real world on a day to day basis, why play a game only to find out you're basically playing a re-enactment of what happens in the real world?

Gaming for some people is meant to be an escape from reality for a short while.

I don't recall any real-life situations where I can double-click on an icon and engage in fun combat with almost any parameters I desire between Russians and Marines, without dealing with the whole part of boot/SOI/all the boring, mundane, manual labor and ruck marching and things like that that come with combat, and of course the chance I could be seriously wounded or killed.

Why play a game that imitates the real world at all then? By your logic, you should only stick to Star Wars games and not Call of Duty or Battlefield, as they are based on the real world.

No game should strive to be exactly like the real world, we live in the real world on a day to day basis, why play a game only to find out you're basically playing a re-enactment of what happens in the real world?

Says who? I understand the need for escape with games for many people, and I seek it out myself at times, but there are other times I want something closer, and sometimes very close, to reality. It's still escape. In fact, it's more like displacement. It has the same effect. But, that doesn't mean I want to actually be in a real battle, or drilling for one. That's what still makes it an escape--somebody that enlists can't escape, for example.

...but they're all sort of getting stale now, I'm looking for something new which was one of the main reasons I got Arma 2 :p

I know the feeling, Vanchatron. Sometimes it's good to take a break when waiting for a new game to come out because I've exhausted pretty much anything interesting on the market. :)

You're clearly not grasping my 'logic' whatsoever, or you'd understand what I mean.

No, not at all. But that is why ArmA 2 is a niche game. Like I said, you seem confused as to why you bought a Hummer when you were looking for better gas mileage.

But Modern Warfare 2 is coming soon, which I eagerly await.

Well this is more of a simulation then a game, as it says on the box its a simulator not a "game". at least thats what it feels like to me.

Kinda like a flight sim, its not a game its a sim, letting you experience the rel thing without actually having to join the airforce.

Now Operation Flahpoint: Dragon rising is the cross between sim and Arcade shooter (or casual shooter if you please).

But you should still try to play ArmA its a good Sim ( Game if you please). It took me a while to get used too.

Like you, I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to reply in this thread...I'm running a risk of being "labeled" also but basically, Arma 2 is nothing like the games you're used to. Like others on this board, I've been playing since OFP and at the time I started, I realized that this game is VERY different from what I normally play. Again, like you, I'm a big fan of BF2 and Project Reality...I actually just finished playing it a couple of hours ago but what I will say is that if you approach Arma2 in the way its meant to be played, implementing real world tactics, slow, measured play, teamwork and expect to play alot of COOP, you will "eventually" find a kind of gameplay that is like nothing else...that you wouldn't bother to compare to any other game.

Like you, I have difficulty finding worthwhile multiplayer games...it seems to be very difficult in BIS games specifically...but when you find that right group, on the right server on the right map, it all just falls into place. I highly recommend that you hold on the to the game and instead of approaching it as an upgraded BF2, look at it as a completely new genre because the label "FPS" does not do it justice. From what I've read on the boards, joining a group or clan is a quick way to finding that "right" mixture.

I'm a fan of BIS and their games...but to be competitive, to enjoy this game, you have to almost be committed to it. The safe bet for you is to return the game and stick to DICE but if you are interested in a different style of play, hold on to the game, learn how to play it and join a clan/squad.

-Sean

You said it yourself in the first post ARMA2 is the Flight Sim of FPS games, it really is.

Yeah bro this isn't the game for you, I was a BF2 freak, but I started with Soldier of Fortune 1 and OFP. OFP was very complex for me as I was stoned all the time and lacked the graphics, then later I found BF2 (still stoned and it was easy for me to play with), loved it and moded the hell out of it as I wanted more and more realism, until; well EA pulled some crap and I boycotted EA, Still am.

Now with ArmA I loved it, but with ArmA2... Phew wow man this is the game for me, I want... No I NEED the realism, the more the better I say. I do agree with you about the jump or lift yourself up onto objects such as a ledge or something else as being needed in this game, although I do like the leap over small fences thingy...

Edited by CrazyAce

Maybe this game is not the game for you, the decision is up to you.

OFP&ArmA are games/sims that require a bit of personal investment and change of habits.

The first time I tried OFP, I didn't like it much. At that time, my only experience with FPS with a "realistic" frame was Counterstrike and I considered it a reference. So when I tried OFP it was quite hard and frustrating at first : I got killed very fast by enemies I couldn't see, I couldn't strafe left/right and shoot, I couldn't jump and dodge bullets, etc...

For some reasons, I stuck with the game, I kept playing and improving, and I haven't looked back since then. I "learned" the game and I agreed completely with the game's choices : no jump, etc...

Now, I am not interested in fast paced or arcade FPS anymore.

In the end, to each his own.

(btw, I really like the amount of controls the game gives to the player, I don't think it is overwhelming, I think it is right :D)

- It's not like you can't run & shoot at the same time in real life.

Yeah sure you can do that. But it's not like you could hit anyone or anything while doing that, except maybe your own legs.

Try that in "real life".

- ...having things like not being able to jump

Yeah sure you can do that. But it's not like you wouldn't die of exhaustion after jumping around with your loads of gear and your gun in your hands.

Try that in "real life".

not being able to do a handbrake turn in your vehicle

Yeah sure you can do that. But it's not like you wouldn't totally destroy your vehicle's gear and braking system after a short period of time.

Try that in "real life".

- The amount of controls in the game is overwhelming for me to be honest. There's just so many things you can do & it felt like I needed to have an amazing memory in order to remember everything. It was like the Flight Simulator version of an FPS.

Hence the name "Military Combat SIMULATOR"?

- When on a multiplayer server, it took SO LONG for me to find any action that I may aswell have gone & made a cup of coffee while I waited.

Actually, everybody makes a cup of coffee after joining a multiplayer server. I see nothing wrong with that.

It's nobody's fault that you bought the wrong game. You obviously didn't even read the tagline of the game title (did I mention "Military Combat SIMULATOR"?).

In conclusion, yeah, you should have informed yourself earlier. :rolleyes: