Sign in to follow this  
GuyKorn

Tracers

They should make the tracers bigger and more visibal. If BIS or anyother MOD groups make the tracers bigger and brighter it would look more realilistic and cool. Just an idea to any that makes MODS *hint hint* *cough*BIS*cough* *touches nose*

actualy there should be no tracers... i dont think they are used ... cozz ya dont wanna give ya spot away in a war =:/

or are you taling about the tracers that come from the tanks and that?

i think they are ok the way they are right now .. you hardly see them and you will get a glimps once in a while to help ya spot the shooter

tracers are used, and there used to show your teammates where your firing

They still use tracerrs, like the M60 in real life has tracers ever 10 bullets. the tanks have it alot

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (timmy @ Mar. 15 2002,03:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">tracers are used, and there used to show your teammates where your firing<span id='postcolor'>

and the enimy

i think they are starting to stop useing them cozz i am sure each squad has a radio guy to tell each other where there position is ...

tho in 1985 i dunno about that ...

anyways i think the tracers are fine ...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (M|N|0N @ Mar. 15 2002,08:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (timmy @ Mar. 15 2002,03:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">tracers are used, and there used to show your teammates where your firing<span id='postcolor'>

and the enimy

i think they are starting to stop useing them cozz i am sure each squad has a radio guy to tell each other where there position is ...

tho in  1985 i dunno about that ...

anyways i think the tracers are fine ...<span id='postcolor'>

Well, the muzzle flash pretty much already gives out your position. Special Forces may have radios for every man, but the regular forces do not. And even if every man has a radio, giving position via radio isn't exactly the fastest way to get your team members fire your target.

In the game they have the option to turn tracers on or off... I am assuming they have the same option for a Server. It should have the option "ON", "Realistic" or "OFF". Where "Realistic" is to only have tracers on the larger machine guns. ie M2 or Tanks ect. Due to the limitation of most peoples sound set up and size of montiors, I can see why the game does have tracers on every rifle...

Not only are tracers used for telling teammates where your firing, it's also good to judge where your bullets are going too... specialy for long range gunning, It helps you judge the falloff of bullets over a long distance

Yea if you watched video's in the golf war. There was this one night marines were fighting man to man against the iraq forces..and you see alot of tracers in that video

I think the tracers should stay, and are fine as they are.  If we didn't have them, any AI with an AK or PK would be almost as effective as a sniper.

Konyak

What are you on about?

Tracers are in just about all linked ammo. The NATO ratio for tracers is 1:5. In other words there is 1 trace and 4 ball rounds for every 5 rounds in a belt.

Tracers have a few purposes when used with machine guns. They are used for observing where your rounds strike and also for counting rounds when firing in long bursts. ie. 5 tracers = roughly 20 bullets in total. Tracers for 7.62 NATO burn out at 800m.

Tracers can also be used in a personal weapon for marking targets for mortar or for the rest of your squad/section mates.

The tracers in OFP aren't that great. They look more like laser beams than bullets moving through the air. They could be brighter too, especially at night.

HTH,

Tyler

At night they should be bright and think, this would have made night battles more popular.

I also think that it would be a great improvement if each weapon had different ratio such as M60:1:5 or 1:3.

M16wow.gif

Amoured vehicles 1:1 or 1:3 or 1:5

It would take alot of work

The tracers should be less straight in opf they look far to accurate

We still use tracers in Singapore Armed Forces

1:5 for M16. last 3 rounds per mag are tracers

1:3 for GPMG

did live firing before

tracers are amazing. fireworks

we were shooting them onto the lake just to enjoy the tracers skimming off the surface and fly into the sky.

u cannot believe how interesting it is

there was this competition to see who can bounce the tracers more often.

i belive for that night firing, the targets remained quite intact

i pity the fishes though

anyone seen 1:1 they look like lazer beams, totaly cool.

BTW I downloaded the terminator for flashpoint and the rifle had blue tracers

I agree that there are too many tracers in this. Individual weapons such as the m16, steyr e.t.c do not use tracer unless like was said earlier the last 3 rnds, so you know when to change mags.

Support weapons (M60 - .50cal) Use 4:1 Ball/Tracer as standard.

BTW... Western Tracer is RED not green, dunno about Eastern.

I know, I'm an Airforce Armourer

In real life the M16 doesnt give off a big flash like in the game.If you look at the end of the barrel there is a wierd thing at the end of the barrel, its called a flash suppreser and it also supresses the gasses to give the weapon more stibilty, so it reduces muzzle climb.As its name applies it keeps it from giving a big flash and the reason why is when the enemy sees it they fire in your direction.Like in WWII the German at the end of the war they noticed that the US guns gave off a big flash while there guns didnt.So they learned quickly to shoot at the flashes,all though it was to late in the war to make a diffrents and alot more Americans died cause of that.

My dad was in the army for 14 years and he used the M16A1.He also drove tanks for 4 years and he said that tracers where every 3rd bullet is a tracer for the M240(in the turret and loaders hatch) and the M2(in the commanders hatch).My dad also said that they look like fireflys flying thru the air to and kinda look like a laser beam, all though not really.In real life you also cant see see the tracer coming at you.(any ways its to fast to even see it)Behind the bullet is magnessium and it burns when it is fired, it burns for approxamatly 3-4 sec all though my dad cant remeber.So you only see it from the rear.kraygh is also right western tracers are Red,the Russians green.They also used tracers on some of the tank rounds like the Sabot and HEAT rounds have tracers and when the dust clears(which is only a couple sec) you are able to see it, unless the target is close.(there is really no way to see if you hit your target with a Sabot cause it doesnt explode but the HEAT round you can see little puffs of smoke kinda)Ill see if i can ask my dad some more later. smile.gif

I forgot to add also, it is impractical to have a belt of only tracer, it may look cool (and trust me it does, especially from a 20mm Aircraft cannon) but in order to accomodate the tracer compound the projectile is slightly longer than a Ball (normal) projectile. This extra length adds to the friction along the bore which increases wear and heat... barrels then need to be changed more often. It also is a dead give away of your position, much like a big neon sign that says "shoot me" above your head.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In real life the M16 doesnt give off a big flash like in the game<span id='postcolor'>

Your right, it doesn't. During the day in bright light the flash is pretty much invisible. The same goes for just about any small arm in OFP. Even an M-240's flash is impossible to see in the day and at night it is only a slight orange/red glow, even when firing a long burst.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Behind the bullet is magnesium<span id='postcolor'>

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the tracer is composed of red phosphorous. I will check later when I have the time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So you only see it from the rear<span id='postcolor'>

You can see it from the sides too, trust me smile.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Mar. 18 2002,07:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In real life the M16 doesnt give off a big flash like in the game<span id='postcolor'>

Your right, it doesn't. During the day in bright light the flash is pretty much invisible. The same goes for just about any small arm in OFP. Even an M-240's flash is impossible to see in the day and at night it is only a slight orange/red glow, even when firing a long burst.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Behind the bullet is magnesium<span id='postcolor'>

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the tracer is composed of red phosphorous. I will check later when I have the time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So you only see it from the rear<span id='postcolor'>

You can see it from the sides too, trust me  smile.gif

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, it depends on how far away from the side and how much of an angle.But the tracer is pretty much for the gunner, to see where it is going.My dad isnt shure bout the magnesium,it could be what you say, red phosphorus.But this was in 1980's, when my dad joined the army.But he is pretty shure it is magnessium.Later smile.gif

Magnesium is what I've heard too.

Don't attempt to burn a pure strip of this stuff - the light is blinding!