Sign in to follow this  
chlywly

Extremely low FPS for my setup!? Is this normal

Hi fellas, I'm just wondering if this sounds normal.

I have a Q9550 @ 3.4ghz,

8 Gigs of 1066 DDR2 memory

BFG GtX295 running in SLI (verified)

The game settings are 1920x1200

All Very High, except memory on -default and antialiasing on low.

I get about 20-25 FPS on the first campaign.....

Seems exceptionally low for GTX295 SLI NO?

Oh and im running Vista 64 with 182.5's

Same thing here I'm getting 20-25 fps at 1680x1050 on medium or high settings.

vista 32bit

gigabyte x58 extreme

i7 @ 4 ghz

3x1 gig 1600 ram

2xgtx260 overclocked sli

2x raid0 velociraptors

1000w cosair psu

Tried evega sli patch and nvidia sli pach. Tried different setings in nhencer. Still low fps with newest nvidia drivers 186.18

Yep it seems to be normal. There are million of posts about this.

With Nvidia GTX2xx you can test turning PhysX to OFF. Seems some have gained big boosts from it. Also set the video memory setting accordingly. 1GB Vmen set to DEFAULT and not VERY HIGH.

Also to get SLI to work there are threads here you have to read. I cant find it atm as i dont have time. But there is solutions to many problems floating around here. Also try backing down a little on resolution - for now. Im sure BIS is working on the matter of powerful videocards perform badly atm.

But play around with the settings and dont just go very high on everything. Start off lower with all the indiviual graphics settings and gradually take one setting one step up and test (never use the overall button for LOW NORMAL HIGH... etc) - then another setting one step up until it looks/feels good.

PhysX = OFF

VideoMemory in graphic options = DEFAULT (if you have 1GB VMEM)

3D Render resolution = 100%

Anti Aliasing = HIGH

Something to start off with. Hope it sorts something for you guys.

Alex

yeah that's normal.

you might get a boost if you can get a copy of XP. Win7 gave me better performance than Vista64. I still get a pretty unplayable 20fps in the cities though. Turn Terrain detail to normal and object detail to high (it sucks to turn things down with a killer set up I know).

Turn on the Sli indicators to see if you have actually successfully activated Sli.

I heard GTX295 people also got their multicarding to work with the start up parameter "-winxp"

Edited by Kenjineering

I think I tried everything. I just can't get the sli to work.

Pretty sure SLI is working as per the charts/graph... It's moving and its almost 80% filled usually. Also am using the -winxp thing, and tried pretty much everything lol, quite unfortunate think they'll patch it?

hmm ... I've not got the machines you guys do, and I don't run in SLI (need to run 2 monitors), yet my BFG 8800 GTX OC runs at 30 to 40 on average at very high settings. I am running an old driver, maybe that is it... weird though.

quad core Intel, 64bit Vista, 4 Gig of RAM 1680X1050 in windowed mode.

hmm ... I've not got the machines you guys do, and I don't run in SLI (need to run 2 monitors), yet my BFG 8800 GTX OC runs at 30 to 40 on average at very high settings. I am running an old driver, maybe that is it... weird though.

quad core Intel, 64bit Vista, 4 Gig of RAM 1680X1050 in windowed mode.

Whaat really? That's extremely strange. P.S: Why would SLI deter you from running 2 monitors? Funny thing is I'm noticing when I have my dualview turned on, and desktop expanded to my other monitor and I'm running games, they seem to crash while using SLI, reboot my pc. At least with 182.5's.

Of course your resolution is also lower, but that's still quite the jump in fps... Weird.

I get pretty poor performance as well, GTX 295, Q6600 @ 2.7 ghz, 6gb ddr2-800. Only scores an 1800 arma2mark, around 25 fps in game no matter what I do. found tweaking with nhancer to be the best route for me, but still much to be desired. Even alot of ppl with i7s are having issues.

I get pretty poor performance as well, GTX 295, Q6600 @ 2.7 ghz, 6gb ddr2-800. Only scores an 1800 arma2mark, around 25 fps in game no matter what I do. found tweaking with nhancer to be the best route for me, but still much to be desired. Even alot of ppl with i7s are having issues.

Darn shame, hope for a fix.

LOL, alright scratch that I'm actually getting like 15 even 10fps sometimes LOL!!! in the village.. and forest... this is insane.

No matter what settings or resolution, I always get ~20 FPS. I even tried it on all low and lowest resolution and still got 23. Tried it maxed out and still got 23. Very weird.

Honestly I dont know how I can play in chernogorsk with 15 freaking FPS... This is nuts... :(

Guys, try disabling SLI and tell me if at least the game doesn't appear to be smoother. It is for me, at least in XP anyway. Windows 7 does a little better with SLI enabled. In XP, I can't even play with SLI after about 5 minutes cuz the FPS degrade and I've tried lots of drivers and the nVIdia SLI fix as well as EVGA's. Those of you that have kick ass cards, turn off SLI and see what you think. Game runs way smoother for me on a single card. When I compare say 22FPS when using SLI with non-SLI, the game appears to be much smoother. The other day I was near 40FPS in game with SLI enabled at it was running like the FPS were in the teens. That doesn't happen with SLI disabled. Try it. Might work for you too. And by the way, I'm running 8800GTX ultras @ 2560x1600 with a quad core CPU @2.4Ghz in Windows 7 and my frame rates are in the 20's.

Another user posted a nice link

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687620/ArmA-2-tested-Benchmarks-with-18-CPUs/Practice/

It's a benchmark done with many different CPU's and shows that Arma 2 requires more CPU power than GPU power (sorry to those who bought the latest super graphics card)

That said, get your CPU up to clock and you can start worrying about the GPU again.

I have tried pretty much everything, disabling SLI makes my fps slower.

I did do something which seems to have given me 5-10 extra FPS. I turned OFF AA, and went up by one resolution from 1920x , also went to "LOW" for post processing effects,, that way it doesnt look aliased.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Another user posted a nice link

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687620/ArmA-2-tested-Benchmarks-with-18-CPUs/Practice/

It's a benchmark done with many different CPU's and shows that Arma 2 requires more CPU power than GPU power (sorry to those who bought the latest super graphics card)

That said, get your CPU up to clock and you can start worrying about the GPU again.

Q9550 Quad core @ 3.4ghz, seems like an Up to clock cpu, wouldn't you say? lol

Try lowering Texture memory but raise AF to very high

AF is already on Very high, already tried that... doesnt do much :)