Sign in to follow this  
Urbanski

Badlands - Guide???

Hi all,

I'm playing badlands - finally worked out how to build a base at novy stobor which is the first town in my mission.

I do however have alot of questions about how to work with your teams.

Could anyone who knows please give us a guide on how the base functions?

Some questions I have

How do I assign soldiers (created or exsisting) to other groups?

How do I get the team to rearm or change weapons? (I know this is discussed in another thread but the solution given was ridiculous)

What is the city menu? how does it work?

Also why do 5-6 slavage trucks show up out of nowhere then proceed to ram my HQ till they explode? I also get an APC and a T-72 that I can't control, they like to demolish anything in their way (I thought we were trying to save the locals not bulldoze their houses to dust)?

I cannot buy any units in Badlands? When I try looking whats available, it just says "Receiving Data" but no data ever shows up.

Really annoying, and I never got the APC either as that was destroyed.

Got the same behavior except that I can buy a VBS ($400). It's a truck for troups transport ... waooow :rolleyes:

You know what ? Put the ArmA DVD in its box and throw all of them in the trash, that's my guide :681:

Gave me the VBS listed, but still could not buy it. Damn annoying, im having to try the mission with just my four guys, bloody hard.

How I did the mission:

Most of the guys from the 3 attached units got slaughtered during the initial attack. I tried using cunning, but can't find how to tell them to hold fire, they start shooting from the staring area. They won't even move properly, I give them waypoints in the direction opposite from the town, they still start moving towards it, out of the woods. Finally I gave them the order to chaaaaarge while providing support from the wood line with Razor, and we captured the village, albeit with heavy losses in the attached groups.

The second city is within firing range from the first one, so while I was building the base the surviving guys from the attached units died. Bah, no problem, less micromanagement, let's carry on. I got me some armor then got the three remaining villages with my unit only, easier that way.

Now I learned more about unit control in the next mission. I still don't know how to buy whole units, but know how to reinforce existing ones. Buy a unit, say a medic, it will add a local soldier to your own, Razor, squad. Or buy a BMP-2, this will add the vehicle + 3 crew members to Razor (you must have enough free slots in the squad though, the maximum being 10). Then select the new arrivals, Space bar -> Communications, then you see some options including:

- Disband selected (list of selected members) - to "delete" them

- Send Selected (list of selected members)

The latter option will then give a list of attached units and allow you to send the selected guys into one. Pretty handy when you just want a vehicle without the crew.

To rearm a soldier you don't have too many options that are not a PITA:

- if near a base, "Buy Weapon", stash them inside a vehicle, get the guys to enter it, then Map -> Units -> choose a unit -> Gear -> choose his equipments. IMHO going through the map is the fastest way.

- select a guy, point to a dead body and click, he will move there, then "6" -> Gear, and equip him.

- sometimes "6" -> Pick up Weapon_X will appear, but you have less control over where Weapon_X is, and what exactly he will do. He might for example pick a launcher without ammo because he has an extra smoke grenade that he won't use anyway.

- if you only want him to get more ammo, "6" -> Rearm At XXX, the purchased APCs I have seen come with a few magazines already (or you can yourself "Buy Weapon" at a base and stash them inside a vehicle.

I wish I knew what the city menu was about, what it means when a city has for example "SV:10 (5-5)", and I also wish that the manual was more useful and the BIS Arma2 Wiki was more than a list of PC specs, so I hope someone can help with that.

Now I learned more about unit control in the next mission. I still don't know how to buy whole units, but know how to reinforce existing ones. Buy a unit, say a medic, it will add a local soldier to your own, Razor, squad. Or buy a BMP-2, this will add the vehicle + 3 crew members to Razor (you must have enough free slots in the squad though, the maximum being 10). Then select the new arrivals, Space bar -> Communications, then you see some options including:

- Disband selected (list of selected members) - to "delete" them

- Send Selected (list of selected members)

The latter option will then give a list of attached units and allow you to send the selected guys into one. Pretty handy when you just want a vehicle without the crew.

Why don't only use the "add empty" option instead?