Sign in to follow this  
trikstadude3

Forum regulars come welcome me :D

Hi , My name's Jordan ,

I recently found some ArmA 2 videos on youtube. Before this, I knew absolutely NOTHING about the ArmA series.

I know my pc can't handle ArmA 2, so I bought ArmA : Combat Operations. Looks just as good, just with worse graphics.

Can someone with enough time to write, give me a detailed explanation of :

1. The Mod's I HAVE to get.

2. Beginners guide to ArmA :D

3. How I can get custom weapons in the game (If you can)

I'm new, forgive me If I seem newbish . I found out about this beautiful series of games only 2 weeks ago.

I am very used to Vbulletin , Over 1,000 posts on Combatarmsforums.com .

Just new to ArmA . ;)

OH , and anything else I should know, about ArmA , post here please. :D

I'm going to go to bed now, but when I come back, I want answers :bounce3:

:436:

As I'm sure you've figured out, there are seemingly endless mods for Arma...down to even changing the water's color.

I use a core set of mods that enhance things like sounds, explosions, smoke, tracers, night vision, some of the game's interfaces, etc. They are all included in every "launcher profile" I've created. I'd suggest that you start with those simpler type of mods.

There are also major mods that greatly affect AI behavior and gameplay. For example, I usually use the ECS mod whenever it doesn't conflict with missions so I can hear my mates yelling "cool" things.

The thing about diving into these major mods is that if you start off with them, then you don't get a foundation in how vanilla Arma gameplay works so you, in effect, don't know what's changed or improved.

Then come the very big mods (ACE, SLX, XAM) that change the gameplay in many major ways. Just about everybody will recommend ACE...but like I said, if you don't know how vanilla Arma plays, how will you even know what ACE does?

I think my best suggestion is to start by getting ArmaLaunch 1.2. It allows you to easily set up different mod profiles so you can easily launch the game with different sets of mods. Also, I think, by far, the most important mod you can use is a custom sound pack. Sounds in Arma are incredibly bland compared to the sound packs created by modders.

Also note that most peeps, I'm assuming here, don't use mods in MP because of all the conflicts that would cause. MP Co-op, I'm assuming, is mostly played vanilla.

Some (but not nearly all) of the mods I use are Arma Effects, Extended eventhandlers, HiFi Sound FX, TrueNVGs.

Hi Jordan, welcome to the forums.

Looks just as good, just with worse graphics.

Isn't that a contradiction in itself? ;)

1. We can't tell you unless we know what you expect from ArmA.

2. Any beginners guide for military 1st person games can be used here. Or just play the training missions, it'll all be explained to you ingame. Setup your controls as you learn the different vehicles, not everything beforehand. Even if you know what you're doing, setting up all controls takes an hour.

3. Possible, but afaik hard work.

Welcome to the forums, trikstadude3. You may want to glance over the forum rules, though. There are no 'welcome' threads allowed.

Welcome to the forums, trikstadude3. You may want to glance over the forum rules, though. There are no 'welcome' threads allowed.

Dang. Guess I'm getting banned already ;)

He just named his thread wrong tbh, as he has asked questions about ArmA - nothing wrong with that i hope. :rolleyes:

Hi trikstadude3!

Hope you enjoy Combat Operations dude. Just a few things that I would like to add:

1. Arma requires a lot of patience :)

2. Combat Operations still has awesome graphics

3. Not the best campaign related game

4. Learn the editor, its really brilliant to make your own missions.

5. Find most of the fun in multilayer or the mission editor

6. Its one of the best games ever made, but not for everyone :)

7. Combat Operations is Awesome but ARMA II is mega Awesome, so don't expect Arma II when playing Combat Operations.

8. The map is huge, 250 square miles to explore. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody.

I hope you love the game bud! Just my personal input

Ionflux

Edited by Ionflux

Hey Ionflux,

Are you ever going to release another Arma 1 mission? Your "The Road to Everon" was freakin' brilliant!

Hey DesertJedi, thanks man I'm glad you enjoyed my mission :). Since I got my hands on Arma II I have been working on a new mission. I rate this will be my best mission yet :p. Will keep you guys updated when it is released. Maybe when I'm done I will make a Arma 1 version of it.