Since the A-10 in arma2 does not carry cluster bombs.. is it possible to trigger something like a cluster bomb in place of a gbu? Maybe be able to set the burst height and coverage area as well.

You could script that with an fired eventhandler, which would then remove the bomb in midair and spawn grenades in it's place. Kills achieved this way won't add to your score though.

That, or create an addon for it.

FYI, I've been working on this for ArmA and looking to import it to ArmA 2 in the near future if you're interested.

Also I've already worked out the proxy to be IAWS compatible

CBU-97 (ArmA Beta, ArmA 2 Alpha. Textures not finalized, used simple texture for asthetics and testing)

g-SideDrop.png

Video is using Eble's F111 as we are collaborating on the project at the moment. (The video is a simple illustration of its usage, no cool editing done;) )

CBU-97 in ArmA1 (Stream for quick view off FileFront)

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Kills achieved this way won't add to your score though.

You are right in this regard. I'm sure a script could fix this but not sure where to start...anyone on a brainstorm on this?

But afterall this is a support weapon so getting mass amount of kills from one bomb is kind of reminiscent of "hording" kills.

My idea of the script would make it selectable by the mission maker that would incorporate the addon. They could either turn off or on the function to give the pilot or co pilot kills in this regard.

Or even better perhaps since my CBU (Cluster Bomb Unit, specifically CBU-97) is Laser guided, split the kill points between both the "designatee" (guy with laser designator) and the pilot/co-pilot? I was looking at a script that was in one of the ArmA 1 Evo versions that supposedly gave some kill points to the "designatee". I can't validate this worked since no one really noticed if they were or weren't receiving kill points from laser dez. But an idea none the less.

No unfortunately. It worked pretty good and there wasn't much interest it seemed out there, people seemed to be happy with the crappy spawn a bunch of GBU's script (which I hated).

Later with a Beta release, I gave what I had to Xeno and the ACE team and they did their own thing with it later in ArmA 2...whether they used any part I could really care as I didn't hear much back later on and their model lacked some accuracies I was incorporating in a later release. They did however get a SFW version working but caused a lot of lag in MP, much the same with the regular cluster munitions on lower end PC's. Most that are familiar with working on CBU's in ArmA know they can be performance impacting if you have too many munitions or too many players dropping them at a time. So this is why most dropped the project like me as well. 

I had life obligations and perhaps tad bit of being burnt out on the project as well. I was passionate about continuing a project ArmA Tactics guys (Monkalb and another fella that escapes my memory) from ArmA 1 days. All credit should be given to these guys starting it all with the AT MK20 Rockeye / Napalm addon from A1 days. I got their permission to continue the CBU part and worked on the MK20 alongside the CBU87. Here's was the last public release for A2:

I did spend some countless hours trying to make it work for A2 and while it worked well, it still needed lots of work.

So far people are already talking about the CBU's in the upcoming Law's of War DLC for A3. From the "chatter" it sounds quite impressive and I'm quite stoked!