Sign in to follow this  
spandrel

Commander Vehicle Control

I've been trying to control ground vehicles from the commander seat and I've been having no luck-- so far they are basically undrivable.

So far it appears that most interface decisions in this game were rational, but they aren't always intuitively obvious. What am I missing here?

Movement moves:

Direction Based: Use WASD(+Q/E) to give commands for forward, reverse, left, right type of commands. Be aware that the wheeled vehicles can't turn from a halt. You need some steam up before turning... dumb but that's how it is. You want to use this over very short distances.

Point Based: Hold Commanding Mode (def: Space bar) and click on the ground where you want to vehicle to go.

Ordering "Watch" will move the turret to that direction. Hold Alt and then click the point in the distance.

Always better to drive yourself and switch to commander or gunner when you need to.

This... really really needs to be improved.

It's obvious that they're trying to simulate the commander-driver lag, but the way it's implemented is so incredibly awkward. It does seem to work if you hold down the forward or backward key and then steer in increments, but how is that different at all from standard WASD control scheme except dumber?

Why not make it so you can drive with WASD and shoot with the mouse? Would that not be awkward enough or something? Isn't the commander able to do that in modern armored vehicles anyway?

If the AI were better it might be somewhat different, but that's its own whole kettle of worms.

It's obvious that they're trying to simulate the commander-driver lag, but the way it's implemented is so incredibly awkward. It does seem to work if you hold down the forward or backward key and then steer in increments, but how is that different at all from standard WASD control scheme except dumber?

Why not make it so you can drive with WASD and shoot with the mouse? Would that not be awkward enough or something? Isn't the commander able to do that in modern armored vehicles anyway?

If the AI were better it might be somewhat different, but that's its own whole kettle of worms.

Agreed. It has sucked since OFP and it still does. It is such a shame this hasn't been addressed - there really is no good reason why the way vehicles (esp. armoured) are controlled isn't changed.

Because this ISN'T BF2 ! In commander position go to the map and tell your vehicle to go to the position. Or as said ^^ go in as driver then return to commander when you need to.

The system as they have it is fine. Just get used to the controls.

One thing that is bothering me ... when I give a map move order to a second unit the vehicle I'm in always follows the order as well. I can't remember having this problem in ofp or ARMA. Very annoying having to tell your stationary vehicle to HALT everytime you give a move order to a seperate unit. Even more annoying having to re-issue a move order that the vehicle you're in was following prior to the last move order. Pain in the arse when you're trying to organize a ten man, 3+ vehicle mechanized squad on a CTI mission!

I might be missing something but I can't for the life of me find a work around for this small but irritating thorn in my side.

You're not supposed to be able to drive the tank with your feet and gun with your nipples. It's supposed to be have latency and be in "broad strokes." This isn't BF1942. You are commanding the driver and that's limited to what you can say simply until people start developing telepathy.

Also you don't have to hold down forward or reverse. They are states, just tap them.

The only thing I wish they would change about vehicle handling (and this is a problem for commanding a driver or driving yourself) is that wheeled vehicles can't turn the wheel to the side and then hit the gas.

It would be nice if the AI would understand the forward/backwards commands more like a real person, following the path of the road when you are on one and dodging obstacles as needed.

Because this ISN'T BF2 ! In commander position go to the map and tell your vehicle to go to the position. Or as said ^^ go in as driver then return to commander when you need to.

The system as they have it is fine. Just get used to the controls.

How do I do that? I bring the map up but I have no idea how to order a vehicle where to go..

when I click on the map it just marks the spot and a test box comes up to name it..

please tell me how I select the helicopter/pilot and order him to move on the map.

thanks.

Commander movement is just driver movement with permanent cruise control and two speeds. It's the driver controls that suck.

Command Mode(space bar)> Move there

You can tell the whole squad to move if they are all in the vehicle, or just the member whose icon is a vehicle rather than a face, as he is the driver.

thanks, I have tried moving the entire squad while we are in the chopper, but nothing happens.. I can hear myself give the order.. bug perhaps?

Also, while in the chopper I bring the map up, order the squad to move somewhere but again nothing happens.. funny thing is when I first jumped in the chopper the pilot automaticaly started it up, but now the engine is off, why is that?

This is my first experience with ArmA and it's all very confusing the first time around..

The transport chopper is different, you have hit 0, go to communications > support > and when you click for transport have your crosshair on the map where you want to go.

when I click on the map it just marks the spot and a test box comes up to name it..

That is double click.

I've been trying to control ground vehicles from the commander seat and I've been having no luck-- so far they are basically undrivable.

Hopefully I'm not just stating the obvious here, but being new to ArmA, it took me a while to figure out that my drive commands had nothing to do with where I happened to be looking at the time (when in commander view), but rather with where the tank front end was pointing. You have to rotate the tank around to match up with your view direction before telling it to move forward.

An advice for all new users.

Go to the editor -any map will do. Select a squad (f2) become the leader of this squad, place a few cars and choppers and, why not, a few enemies far away. An ammo crate is fine too.

And practice. Experiment. Explore what you can do. Select a soldier and make him drive around. Learn how to tell your men to change weapons. Send a few soldiers down the road and then send a car with another soldier to pick them up and bring them back.

Try out all the stances and battle modes. Send your men to scan an area and report back.

Arma2 may look confusing but it works. There is so much you can do and it makes the game a thousand times better when you know what you can do. With enough care you can finish any mission (that doesn't require your presence) by using the F keys, the numbers and your map.