Sign in to follow this  
Alex72

LHD or whatever its called

As everything in ArmA II it has to be scaled down ... even in missions. Nobody would place the whole crew on the carrier. Even on the USS Khe Sanh you wouldn't see every chopper and every single crewman. Everything is scaled down in ArmA II - the country, the cities, the conflict ... basicly because it's a game ;) If we had a Nimitz class carrier I wouldn't place hundreds of planes too.

I'm not talking about the number of men physically present in the mission, I'm talking about force levels. To apply a force level that would have B-52s and F-18s to the little postage stamp of Chernarus is doing no one any favors in terms of gameplay, enjoyment, or believability and are pure fantasy. I'm not interested in ArmA2 being a fantasy game.

Frederf, with all due respect, but it's not up to you to judge about what has to be in game and what not. Although i understand your point, why not making a B-52 addon? Does it fit in the game? Well, if someone can make a interesting mission with using it (even if it's only for atmosphere), then it is worth to create one. Same for Aircraft Carriers. It's not the equipement which makes a interesting mission, it's the mission itself. So a carrier could pretty well fit into ArmA 2, it depends on the mission makers, not the addon.

Myke, realize what forum we're in. This is ArmA2 - General, not

ArmA 2 - ADDONS & MODS: DISCUSSION. Thus this thread is by placement adding the implication that it is BIS's responsibility to add a full blown aircraft carrier to the core game, a core game having a surprisingly well-crafted scope which is incompatible with this notion.

Admittedly, the thread did not start out with this message. It was added by our good friends Headshot and Legislator in Posts #12 and #13. They chose to take us down this dark road. Perhaps they will stay on topic in the future.

Would it be possible for someone to create a mod so that the LHD became fully functional including being able to move etc? Or too complicated?

-----

Lol, just read ur post Frederf, sorry.

Dark road? Are you drunk? :D Discussing about pro's and con's of aircraft carriers is far away from offtopic in a thread about the LHD which is basicly an aircraft carrier. I don't know what's your problem.

A fully functional LHD would be far too complex to do. However, a moving, shooting, plane launching, semi functional LHD is possible.

A fully functional LHD would be far too complex to do. However, a moving, shooting, plane launching, semi functional LHD is possible.

I'm working on that pretty hard... i have a static version with vehicles in the under deck bay that get moved on deck and various repair/rearm spot around the ship... i'm working for using a driveable version instead of the static one... but i would really like some help from some experienced scripters out there :)

I would deal with the aircraft deck handling and elevators in the following way.

Deck handling could use an attachTo script associated with the tractor tug vehicle to nudge aircraft around deck and get them onto and off of elevators.

Elevators would run a script to check that the plane was empty, folded, and in center position, then attachTo the plane to the elevator and I guess setpos the elevator down by inches. Once it was fully down simply setPos and attachTo the aircraft under the deck in the cavernous empty interior of the ship to keep it out of the way or simply record its vital statistics and remove the vehicle, spawning it later based on a retrieve aircraft command.

Hey they have put an aircraft carrier in the game - so at least it could function in the mission editor at a very least.

Obviously it should be possible to place choppers on the deck without scripting.