Sign in to follow this  
Jon K

Team killing Auto Kick/Ban

Surely there must be an option for the dedicated server to auto kick and ban rampant team killers.

Just got off the 1st Infantry server where a character named Jon (no relation) went 30+ team kills, with no admin on board.

If servers are unattended, something has got to be in place to keep the kiddies at bay.

A script can be used to punish TK's - move them to the ocean/remove weapons/give them a 45 minute black screen... you name it. Auto kick/ban can get out of hand however. If you auto kick, they will probably just come back and then you not only have a TKer, but JiP to boot. Auto ban is also an issue, what if I get shot down with 15 troops in my BH? I get all those deaths counted against me.

Better, IMHO, to punish them by writing their info to the RPT file (for admins to parse later) and give 90 seconds of black screen every time they TK. -- THis can also backfire, as they change to a renegade side after teh first TK, and accidental FF can happen.

can you links us to an example script or scripts that punish tK'ers? I particularly am lol'ing at the possibility of moving them to the ocean after a certain negative score...

can you links us to an example script or scripts that punish tK'ers? I particularly am lol'ing at the possibility of moving them to the ocean after a certain negative score...

Negative score is not a good way to measure TKs.

You get credited negatively when shooting at ennemies while gunning a stolen ennemy vehicle, for example

I can see where that would be a slight issue... Hopefully they will fix that in the next patch. Should be hard, I wouldnt think. If a player from an opposing side enters a vehicle from you own side, that vehicle should turn sides to the enemy side, no matter what, until a player from you side enters it again, if that ever happened. Hopefully they will fix it and THEN negative score will be a useful indicator... maybe. Till then, I will be programming the server commands into my G15.

I think they didn't want to change vehicle's apparent side for sneakiness reasons. Afterall, you can't know instantly the vehicle is stolen ;)

True. So, it would be better to leave it alone until the "friendly" vehicle kills someone, THEN have it switched to enemy status, and change the scoring rules so that the person INSIDE the vehicle determines the side that did the killing, not the vehicle itself.

imho you'd better start with a TK detector based on "killed" evenhandler, event which gives you who killed who directly so you can know quite easily if it's a TK or not.

Next issue with that in current A2 engine : when a vehicle kills someone, the driver gets credited for the kill, even if he's not the one doing the shooting. So you may end up punishing the wrong person.

Even worse, in case of chopper, the pilot will get credited for TK on the whole group of players he transports if he crashes. And a AA missile will disable a chopper without killing it. So a TKer shooting AA at friendly chopper won't even be noticed, the chopper will crash crediting the pilot with a lot lot of TKs

Then instead of having the kick ban work just on the death of a friendly by friendly hands, institute an if/then idea.

If friendly kill is by bullet, kick ban

if friendly kill is by rocket, kick ban

if friendly kill is by vehicle, warn

if friendly kill is by vehicle weapon, kick ban

etc etc

Would keep fully loaded helos from having the pilot to blame, and would apply specific penalties.

Heck, if a friendly kill is by bullet, eliminate the weapon from the players available gear. People don't TK, guns TK.

Hopefully they will sort it out. At least, in the end, your score means nothing. It isnt like the battlefield games where you wanted a high score to unlock weapons faster. So, getting a negative score for a TK isnt a bad thing in and of itself, but, it would be nice for servers to have the option to handle intentional TK'ers automatically. It's just the issue of sorting them out from the accidental TK or the chopper pilot incidents. Well admin'ed servers wouldnt need it, but, other hosts would probably really like the option.

Surely there must be an option for the dedicated server to auto kick and ban rampant team killers.

Just got off the 1st Infantry server where a character named Jon (no relation) went 30+ team kills, with no admin on board.

If servers are unattended, something has got to be in place to keep the kiddies at bay.

Jon,

I am sorry for your negative experience on our server. We do not implement an Auto Ban feature because of the negative aspects mentioned in this thread. We have tripled the number of server admins and are doing our best to add more. This first few weeks seems to be a challenge for many other servers having the same troubles with TK's. I hope you give us another try.

IMHO Auto kick punishes the innocent as well as the guilty...much better to send persistant team killers to a sin bin and black their screen for a set amount of time thats configureable by admins...lets say a default of 3 mins everytime they TK after a set number of teamkills, that also does away with the problem of spawn killing, where the TKer just camps at the base and constantly TKs as you respawn. Along with that maybe a script that bans by I.P. anyone who is persistantly teamkilling from rejoining a server for 10 minutes after they leave. Teamkillers would soon get the message that its not clever to disrupt coop games.

Edited by Jocktamson

A script can be used to punish TK's - move them to the ocean/remove weapons/give them a 45 minute black screen... you name it.

Does anyone know of anything like this? Even if it is only a simple move to ocean or turn into bird for x amount of time.

Hi all

To the OP there is Kronzky's old script here

http://kronzky.info/notk/index.htm

A couple of other people are woking on new ArmA II anti TK scripts, including Aussie Dave, send him a PM.

In all honnesty human Admins are a better solution. It takes time to fill your ban list but it is worth it as over time you get less and less TK's until they disapear and there are no false positives to worry about. A month or two of careful admin is all you need. Make sure your server logs are running so you can get the hit and run TKs too.

Making sure people communicate over VOIP, Teamspeak or Mumble and locking your the server after briefing also helps.

Kind Regards walker

I don't know about sneakiness, after all while you can use an enemy vehicle to gain sneakiness IRL, the enemy can also use other measures to uncover your sneakiness. Since those measures aren't really modeled, the sneakiness doesn't really have a place either, and just causes stupid AI responses (assuming he really does see you as a friendly).

Yeah It would be good if somehow you could seperate the loser that team kills for fun because he has a small organ from the unfortunate chopper pilot that crashes a with a fully loaded helo because of lag or just bad luck.