Sign in to follow this  
Beltfed

What is "material penetration"?

Does that mean we have real armor now on our tanks? Or is it still possible to kill a M1A2 with mgs like in arma 1?

i think it means that you can shoot through small walls or other objects just what i fought

you cn shoot through wooden fences for example...

yes... if you have the time to fire 4000 or so bullets at a tank it will be destroyed... not realistic , fair enough, but unlikely to affect gameplay as the tank is more likely to blow you to kingdom come after about 10 rounds :)

Ah ok, that is cool. I would love some realistic penetration physics on anything armored though.

Yep, I would say that is the biggest flaw.

A decent hit system is really needed in ArmA.

True, also checking the aim of the AI. Apperantly they sniped me from 500+ meters with an AK while I was prone and behind a cascade of trees.

Do you guys know of a game where there is realistic armour penetration?

Abs

Abs

SteelBeasts. And some kind of sci-fi tank battle game, forgot what it's called.

Abs

Well in the Battlefield games you couldn't scratch a tank with a machine gun or rifle or whatever. Always needed larger weapons/cannons/explosives.

Abs

Battleground Europe.

Red Orchestra and Red Orchestra: Darkest Hour have a hybrid system. Shots can deflect, but a certain number of penetrating shots will always destroy a tank. Plenty of sims have armor penetration, even flight sims like the Il-2: Sturmovik series. Steel Fury: Kharkov 42 has perhaps the most detailed penetration system I've seen, maybe surpassing Battleground Europe. Although a RTS/wargame, Combat Mission: Shock Force has very detailed penetration modelling, even for complex stuff like reactive armor and tandem HEAT warheads. Another RTS, Men of War, has pretty detailed system as well, although the scale has been messed with. In none of these games can you destroy a tank by shooting it enough times with a machine gun.

Funny thing is, I'm hearing OFP2 may have turned away from the hitpoints system for armor, so that should be interesting.

Red Orchestra and Red Orchestra: Darkest Hour have a hybrid system. Shots can deflect, but a certain number of penetrating shots will always destroy a tank. Plenty of sims have armor penetration, even flight sims like the Il-2: Sturmovik series. Steel Fury: Kharkov 42 has perhaps the most detailed penetration system I've seen, maybe surpassing Battleground Europe. Although a RTS/wargame, Combat Mission: Shock Force has very detailed penetration modelling, even for complex stuff like reactive armor and tandem HEAT warheads. Another RTS, Men of War, has pretty detailed system as well, although the scale has been messed with. In none of these games can you destroy a tank by shooting it enough times with a machine gun.

Funny thing is, I'm hearing OFP2 may have turned away from the hitpoints system for armor, so that should be interesting.

Documentation anywhere on Steel Fury Ballistics models? I can't find any, just the claims made on the box being repeated in reviews.

Does material penetration for rounds also apply to living/dead bodies or are they impenetrable barriers like in ArmA1?

We need this desperately for Arma2:

BzpUVtVUBTI

However BIS sees no "need" for equipping a game called "Simulation" with some realism in this aspect, so don't hope for anything. :rolleyes::(