Sign in to follow this  
GunnDawg09

My Dream Scenario is shattered :(

All I wanted to do was make a lone insurgent(my self/player) who goes about the area encountering fights with the USMC, or any faction for that matter. But seeing as how you cant just add a Combat Module to the map and sync it to your self and go, without having to write 100 line scripts and magically know where to put them and how to get them to run... I wont be able to do this :(

I hope BI will make the ACM more user friendly in future patches. Sounds like a fun dream scenario. I don't think you'll last very long against USMC. ;)

Check your other post, I finally finished that mission and it should give you some good building blocks to start your dream scenario on. :)

Check your other post, I finally finished that mission and it should give you some good building blocks to start your dream scenario on. :)

Which post are you refering to, as well as which mission. And how will completing a mission better educate me with the Combat Module ?

I meant this post. It's not just completing the mission, that's a piece of cake, but the step by step description of how I did each part of the mission and why things were done the way they were should help you learn more about the Editor and scripting and either allow you to use the ACM better since you'll understand it more, or use standard scripting to do the things you want.

Hmmm yeah I looked at it but you didnt use ACM, so therefore I still have no clue how, and why ACM fails to work when I place it down and sync it to my player.

I think you should put enemy too, and then sync it to another ACM. so basically you'll have 2 ACMs. One sync to you another sync to enemy... I played last night and had similar issue.. no enemy spawn... then I put enemy on a hill for me to assault, and after a while, there are enemies respawning... bmps, hind, infantry. far-far away though

@GunnDawg:

ACM works. You use 1 ACM and then sync it to yourself and use a INIT.sqf in the mission folder where you set variables such as who, how much/frequent, air/ground, skill, distance etc. very random but as you can see yet controllable.

ACM works awesomelly. I have many small missions where i am a lone spetsnaz, Insurgent, SF etc and fight in a WAR where it all is random and fights break out all over.

If you want example mission - say yes.

PS. Only thing i want to learn now is how to set the ACM to certain areas. I think its possible - just gotta learn how.

PS2. Please dont complain about having to "write scripts". Its not true. I dont know how to write scripts and yet i use ACM with INIT.sqf. Its as easy as COPY/PASTE it. DONE! And it lets you set values so you can TAILOR it after your needs. VERY VERY SIMPLE to do so as its explained in the script. Just easy values from 0.0-1.0 where the latter is highest value. Want just little air patrols? Set to 0.2 maybe etc. Super simple. Again if you want an example mission with only ACM and YOU where tons of stuff will happen - say yes.

Alex

My main problem with ACM is the 225 sq km of land it can spawn in, especially if you're one guy or one squad. While I've seen the video where someone gets three active spawns in 9 minutes and stories like Alex's give me hope, my few hours of messing with ACM netted me a grand total of 3 helicopter flyby's kilometers away, a few tanks far behind me and a whole lot of walking around. Not exactly exciting gameplay so far from ACM in my experience, but I'm still playing around with it. Ambient Civilian Vehicles on the other hand turned a country road into a parking lot, so that's obviously working! :)

GunnDawg seemed to have a pretty clear idea of what he wanted and that's why I tried to show him how things could work to do what he wanted. It's a shame he doesn't have the patience or interest to actually learn how things works. If ArmA 2 included a "one button solution" to what he wanted, it would lack the depth and enjoyment it currently has. A shame indeed, but I tried to help. *shrug* Maybe someone else will get inspired to learn scripting...

@GunnDawg:

ACM works. You use 1 ACM and then sync it to yourself and use a INIT.sqf in the mission folder where you set variables such as who, how much/frequent, air/ground, skill, distance etc. very random but as you can see yet controllable.

ACM works awesomelly. I have many small missions where i am a lone spetsnaz, Insurgent, SF etc and fight in a WAR where it all is random and fights break out all over.

PS. Only thing i want to learn now is how to set the ACM to certain areas. I think its possible - just gotta learn how.

PS2. Please dont complain about having to "write scripts". Its not true. I dont know how to write scripts and yet i use ACM with INIT.sqf. Its as easy as COPY/PASTE it. DONE! And it lets you set values so you can TAILOR it after your needs. VERY VERY SIMPLE to do so as its explained in the script. Just easy values from 0.0-1.0 where the latter is highest value. Want just little air patrols? Set to 0.2 maybe etc. Super simple. Again if you want an example mission with only ACM and YOU where tons of stuff will happen - say yes.

Alex

Sure, if you wanna make a basic set up that has ACM working so I can see what the hell to do, where to put the script files, and how to execute them when the mission loads then that'd be great.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

My main problem with ACM is the 225 sq km of land it can spawn in, especially if you're one guy or one squad. While I've seen the video where someone gets three active spawns in 9 minutes and stories like Alex's give me hope, my few hours of messing with ACM netted me a grand total of 3 helicopter flyby's kilometers away, a few tanks far behind me and a whole lot of walking around. Not exactly exciting gameplay so far from ACM in my experience, but I'm still playing around with it. Ambient Civilian Vehicles on the other hand turned a country road into a parking lot, so that's obviously working! :)

GunnDawg seemed to have a pretty clear idea of what he wanted and that's why I tried to show him how things could work to do what he wanted. It's a shame he doesn't have the patience or interest to actually learn how things works. If ArmA 2 included a "one button solution" to what he wanted, it would lack the depth and enjoyment it currently has. A shame indeed, but I tried to help. *shrug* Maybe someone else will get inspired to learn scripting...

I have all the patience in the world, though you didnt set up what I was trying to learn, I know how to manually set up infantry and enemy but there is no fun there, if I know where the enemy is every time I start the mission then thats boring and repetitive. I have been trying to get ACM working fromt he very start, not a straight scripted and generic mission.....

Alex

I am thinking of one scenario in two versions to make some friends interested in ArmA2:

1. Chernarus in peace: I have chosen a nice spot where to build a house, park some vehicles, place a clay pigeon machine etc. I will use the modules for civilians, civ vehicles, wildlife and weather. Activities would be target practice with shotguns, hunting and sightseeing trips.

2. Chernarus at war: Same map, same place, but this time the house would be fortified, there would be some fixed guns, sandbags, barracks, and several AI to help me defend all this. In addition to the modules from version 1 I would use combat modules to generate skirmishes on the fly. Activities would be defending the base and little missions which require exploring the now hostile environment.

The scenario should be for single player and multiplayer use.

I wouldn't even think of creating a mission with so many excellent ones around already, but the beauty of Chernarus in autumn and the new modules have been inspiring.

My big problem with the civ modules is that they seem to generate only very few people, maybe one or two per village. Is it possible to have, say 10 per village? And their vehicles seem to be parked, mostly. I hardly ever see someone driving around. Especially the cities should be full of cars and civilians, if that's possible.

The second problem is that I cannot find any of the civilian buildings listed in the Object Class Library in the editor, though I have installed the editor update addon - but that's another thing.

I think your example mission could help me and if you don't mind sharing it I say: Yes, please.

So I just started a mission with 1 enemy, and me, we both have an ACM synched to us.

Do I have to put anything in the Initialize box under the ACM's settings?

UPDATE: So after about 3mins with 1 ACM on an enemy unit I placed and 1 ACM on my self, a few BMP's showed up as well as a foot patrol of some insurgents...

The only problem now is the insurgents and the BMP acted as friendly to me (I was a USMC Riflemen).... Why wont they show up as enemy?

Edited by GunnDawg09

The only problem now is the insurgents and the BMP acted as friendly to me (I was a USMC Riflemen).... Why wont they show up as enemy?

As you can see from my above posting I am also new to this, so forgive me if this doesn't help but you can set the insurgents "friendly" to either USMC or Russia. You may want to verify this particular setting before trying anything else.

As you can see from my above posting I am also new to this, so forgive me if this doesn't help but you can set the insurgents "friendly" to either USMC or Russia. You may want to verify this particular setting before trying anything else.

Well seeing as how I didnt spawn the insurgents (the ACM did), I have no control over their settings.

Oh, I see. But if ACM generates friendlies at random, it may also generate enemies and you may just have to wait few minutes? But that is just speculation on my part.

Normally I would simply look at the manual, but this particular one seems to be lacking a bit in the section of modules.

Oh, I see. But if ACM generates friendlies at random, it may also generate enemies and you may just have to wait few minutes? But that is just speculation on my part.

Normally I would simply look at the manual, but this particular one seems to be lacking a bit in the section of modules.

It did spawn enemies as well, but the point I am trying to get across is that insurgents are not friendly to USMC so why does it show up as friendly?

It appears as though Insurgents arent friendly or enemy with anyone so I guess thats just how it is, they are neutral.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

No idea, I'm afraid. Better wait for those with real knowledge.

Edit:

Maybe this helps: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Combat_Manager_-_Functions

That information looks good, would I use those scripts in the "Initialization" box of the ACM settings or do I have to some how make a script file?

All I wanted to do was make a lone insurgent(my self/player) who goes about the area encountering fights with the USMC, or any faction for that matter. But seeing as how you cant just add a Combat Module to the map and sync it to your self and go, without having to write 100 line scripts and magically know where to put them and how to get them to run... I wont be able to do this :(

What you need is DAC2 :) I believe a port to ArmA2 is in the works. Will be even better than the ACM.

If it helps, I was having issues wit the ACM as well, then I realized it sometimes can take a while for it to initialize, then of course it doesn't guarantee they will come close to you. I set up, jumped into a Ka52 (i was a marine) and before long 2 F35s came by and did multiple sweeps, then after two enemy helecopters came by and I shot them down, then I landed and a few minutes later was gunned down by an enemy foot patrol, and I didn't even have to leave the initial spawn area.