Sign in to follow this  
Batisda

Arma 2 without a cd?

Hey

I have been wanting to buy the game for some time now, the only problem is, I dont wanna pay the price that is set in my location, which is like 40-50€ (about $60), when I have found it at prices around 15-20€ ($20-30).

The problem with the places I have found those keys however, is only for the retail version = I need to have the cd/dvd -.-'

Some of my friends have it, so it is not a problem for me to get it installed if I want, my problem is, that the game wants the cd/dvd to start the game.

So to the question now: Are there not a way avoid this? Are there not a way to play without the cd/dvd in the drive?

To make it 100% clear, Im not talking about coping anything illegal here or anything, I just want to play den original game, but without having to swap cd's all the time.

Copy and paste from previous threads on the subject:

Buying a CD Key does not give you a legal right to the actual game files, you have to buy those, we do not condone or endorse any site/company that encourages illegal activity by means of selling CD Keys without also providing a legal way for people to install the actual game.

Buying CD Keys from these places is a risk you take yourself, unless you bought the game in such a way that you have legal access to the installer and game files you will receive no support here.

Because I don't support Steam anymore. They made a huge change in their price system in EU in the end of 2008, which made all games about 30-40% more expensive.

Anywho, I have had the game for some time now (retail version), and wanted to try something out, but can't get it to work.

I got the files from the download able version from a friend, who bought it from GAME.co.uk, and my question now is:

Can't I use that, and then skip using the cd/dvd?

Or is there a different "key system" for that, which makes me unable to activate the game with a retail version key?

Different key/system. Basically if you bought the DVD version you need to use the DVD

Yes its possible to do that. I play without CD, I use steam. I can install it on every PC I want, and just need to login to Steam. You can also play offline, if you want to do single player. Multiplayer needs you to login to steam (online), but you would need the internet connection for multiplaying so thats not really a problem.

Its very recommended, it automatically updates your game and also you dont need CD or CDkey anymore.

Yes its possible to do that. I play without CD, I use steam. I can install it on every PC I want, and just need to login to Steam. You can also play offline, if you want to do single player. Multiplayer needs you to login to steam (online), but you would need the internet connection for multiplaying so thats not really a problem.

Its very recommended, it automatically updates your game and also you dont need CD or CDkey anymore.

NOT recomended that steam autoupdate games and that you cant get back to one earlier patch... This is what you get if a patch does not work, you cant play it any more.... fun... NOT

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=82884

I didnt have any problems with that. Keeping up to date is a good thing, in my opinion. Another big benefit: you don't need DVD, you can always download the game at fast speed (3Mb/s), anywhere you want.

NOT recomended that steam autoupdate games and that you cant get back to one earlier patch... This is what you get if a patch does not work, you cant play it any more.... fun... NOT

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=82884

But i have bought the dvd version of the game, but don't have a dvd rom.

i've used the iso to install the game, and then registered with the original serial key, so i can play on official servers.

only bug is that every version goes out i need to wait for an actual nocd fix to be able to play without cdrom.

and now for 1.04 it isn't out yet...

i didn't ordered through steam because i don't want to mess around with them anymore, already got cs, css, hl2 and other things from them. that's enough.

what can i do?

thanks,

M.

DVD's are extremely cheap... I dont understand why you bother with all that crap? DVD's can even be found for free laying around friends place's etc. A slightly older DVD sell's for candy money prices.

So now you know what you have to do - buy or find a DVD player. ;)

whats the big deal?

It takes what, all of 10 secs to put a cd in a drive. If 10 secs is to much time for you, then you arent going to wait the 30 sec it takes the game to load. Dont give me this bs, you cant be this lazy, the only reason for wanting to do this is piracy.

But i have bought the dvd version of the game, but don't have a dvd rom.

i've used the iso to install the game, and then registered with the original serial key, so i can play on official servers.

only bug is that every version goes out i need to wait for an actual nocd fix to be able to play without cdrom.

and now for 1.04 it isn't out yet...

i didn't ordered through steam because i don't want to mess around with them anymore, already got cs, css, hl2 and other things from them. that's enough.

what can i do?

thanks,

M.

Go and by a DVD drive. I mean... why in the world you go and by a game on DVD if you have no drive for it.

Closing.