Sign in to follow this  
FartFetish

Did I make a mistake with CPU upgrading?

Hi there.

Currently I have an AMD Windsor 3.2Ghz @ 3.3Ghz 1mb cache dual core.

My performance sucked in this game, so I ordered a 3Ghz Phenom 2 quadcore which I plan to OC to 3.4Ghz the day it arrives.

Now I'm reading that the AI is done on 1 core, and I'm pretty sure a Windsor core is faster than a Phenom 2!

Did I just waste 200 bucks?

Win XP home

Windsor 3.3Ghz

3gig ram

Radeon 4870 1gb

Audigy 2

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much. The Phenom is a superior core even when only using the single core. Around the time of the Windsor core AMD was on the verge of going bankrupt due to Intel's CPU's being far superior. The Phenom was the answer to that.

I wouldn't worry too much. The Phenom is a superior core even when only using the single core. Around the time of the Windsor core AMD was on the verge of going bankrupt due to Intel's CPU's being far superior. The Phenom was the answer to that.

Phew, thanks!

Best intel core i7 is £700 pounds is around 20-30% faster than a Phenom II 3.2 £171

I was gonna save for a core i7 but when you compare performace per pound AMD comes out best and you can then upgrade it to a faster Phenom II in 2 yrs for another £171 and still more budget left over for a better GPU.

Edited by CG Man

Hi there.

Currently I have an AMD Windsor 3.2Ghz @ 3.3Ghz 1mb cache dual core.

My performance sucked in this game, so I ordered a 3Ghz Phenom 2 quadcore which I plan to OC to 3.4Ghz the day it arrives.

Now I'm reading that the AI is done on 1 core, and I'm pretty sure a Windsor core is faster than a Phenom 2!

Did I just waste 200 bucks?

Win XP home

Windsor 3.3Ghz

3gig ram

Radeon 4870 1gb

Audigy 2

Thanks!

is it a 6000+? because ive been having very good performance in the game demo so far :), and i have a 4850 512mb OCed to around near 4870 clock.

I do not know what your complaining about!

It looks like there are some performance problems with the Phenom II and ArmA II. I'm having problems with it at least, and a CPU benchmark by PCgamer (or something like that) confirmed this with the Phenom II. There are also others having this problem... Let's hope you're lucky.

It looks like there are some performance problems with the Phenom II and ArmA II. I'm having problems with it at least, and a CPU benchmark by PCgamer (or something like that) confirmed this with the Phenom II. There are also others having this problem... Let's hope you're lucky.

Any links to this benchmark? Because I saw a benchmark that showed the Phenom II up there with the Q9650 and i7 920.

is it a 6000+? because ive been having very good performance in the game demo so far :), and i have a 4850 512mb OCed to around near 4870 clock.

I do not know what your complaining about!

Are u using the Dual Core AMD Patch or is the OP using it either would be the question

Are u using the Dual Core AMD Patch or is the OP using it either would be the question

OP? sorry i do not understand??

The OP is using XP which may require a Dual Core AMD Patch which is on AMD's site Windows Vista and Windows 7 Dont need it but XP does

All Athlon X2 (6400+ and Under) and FX dual core models require the patch in XP/2003 Windows for proper gaming in games some games are unaffected and don't require the patch

The OP is using XP which may require a Dual Core AMD Patch which is on AMD's site Windows Vista and Windows 7 Dont need it but XP does

i never had to use a dual core amd patch :S

Any links to this benchmark? Because I saw a benchmark that showed the Phenom II up there with the Q9650 and i7 920.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687620/ArmA-2-tested-Benchmarks-with-18-CPUs/Practice/

AMD's second generation Phenom CPUs are a little problematic though: An X4 955 BE overclocked to 3.5 GHz is 700 MHz (equal 25 percent) faster than an X4 920 (4x 2.8 GHz) but reaches only 1.1 frames per second more than the smaller CPU - thus the fastest Phenom II is still much slower than the C2Q Q9650. When rechecking the system with Cinebench R10 and Far Cry 2 we received the common, plausible results - the overclcoked X4 955 Be was more than 20 percent faster than the X4 920. Therefore we estimate that the abnormal behavior of the Phenom II CPUs is related to an incompatibility of ArmA 2. Possibly this problem (and several others) are fixed with patches.

I am running a Phenom II 720 Black edition triple core overclocked to 3.3 ghz on stock heatsink fan. 4 gb ddr3 and a ATI 4770 pci-e and I seem to get high 30's to mid 40's fps in fraps on stock scenarios. What exactly is the issue with the AMD processors and will this be addressed???

Some games were affected by having random FPS Example Company of Heroes was one of the ones I tested on Athlon X2 3.2ghz with XP. In some games it increases performance because of the bug with the processor.

They created 2 versions of the patch.

Side Note:

It also helps with people using opterons and getting not expected performance on two CPU setups. I have tested 2 opteron 250HE Systems with 2 Procs in each.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

I am running a Phenom II 720 Black edition triple core overclocked to 3.3 ghz on stock heatsink fan. 4 gb ddr3 and a ATI 4770 pci-e and I seem to get high 30's to mid 40's fps in fraps on stock scenarios. What exactly is the issue with the AMD processors and will this be addressed???

Your cpu is two new for the bug Phenom 2 are not affected by this bug just the older gen AM2 Example Athlon X2 3800-6400+ as well as Athlon FX.The Athlon X2 and FX Socket 939 are also affected in XP and 2k3.

Vista and Win 7 dont have the problem so they dont need the patch

-AMD Link to Dual Core Optimzer is down atm for some reason 1.14-

Just also a friendly warning if someone is using the Dual Core patch for an older AM2 please remove the patch before installing newer Dual Core AM2+ CPU's otherwise system may refuse to boot and just restart. Same goes if you installing a Quad Core AM2+ or AM3+

Edited by volkov956

this is a topic I opened, it's about somekind of FPS cap at ~22fps

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76944

Some other processors also have this problem though

By the patch, I suppose you mean the dual core optimizer 1.1.4?

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153

No, I am not using that right now. It causes random freezes while at the desktop. There are also reports of this so called patch making peoples games actually run much slower...

I see I am getting some graphic anomaly which I think are ATI related. Arma 2 is playable and I am sure BIS will address these issues with patches they seem pretty good in that regard.

I have an AMD 6400 X2 and never noticed a difference with the dual core optimizer when I ran with XP. I stopped using it long before I upgraded to Vista and Windows 7.

But as far as the OP goes, my CPU is just fine running stocks speeds (by fine, I mean not worth spending hundreds to upgrade). I know an I7 would be huge upgrade. I'm not convinced a Phenom would be...

I have an AMD 6400 X2 and never noticed a difference with the dual core optimizer when I ran with XP. I stopped using it long before I upgraded to Vista and Windows 7.

But as far as the OP goes, my CPU is just fine running stocks speeds (by fine, I mean not worth spending hundreds to upgrade). I know an I7 would be huge upgrade. I'm not convinced a Phenom would be...

Yea probably, the 6000+ was a good choice for me. Even though i didn't go quad i was happy enough going Dual from single core.

Well, I did made the move and upgraded from AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ to the AMD Phenom II 955 BE, and the reason is that ArmA II had show us all that prefer the Quad Core bettern than the Dual Core, even if the speed of the Dual Core CPU is higher than the Quad Core.(Base on benchmarks, same place as quoted in a post here). Also, if you go and see all the result from the ArmA II Mark Benchmark Mission you will also noticed/confirmed this, plus I know for sure I'll overclock this poppy at least 3.5GHZ, possible 3.6GHZ if I get lucky, and this is just regular, what I call factory overclocking with no extra power increase in voltage just playing playing with BIOS (Since my motherboard M3N72-D has a nice factory overclocking percentage increase section). And that's the rason for the upgrade in my side.

Update: 7/22/09 I just installed and test the CPU (AMD Phenom x4 955 BE MOBO OC @ 3.52Ghz) now the lowest FPS I get is 45 with all settings High, AA on and shadows on very high, here it proved my theory that ArmA II has a thing for CPU especially Quad Core or more.

Edited by Gringo85