Sign in to follow this  
MrManiac

OFP has fu**ing low framerate

Hi Guys !

I really hope that someone can help me. I searched for a solution in the whole Internet... My Problem is, that OFP stutters heavily when I look at some bushes, trees, vehicles, houses or other soldiers. OFP slows down to 4 fps which makes it unplayable. The problem exists both in SP and MP. I tried everything. Every Detonator, every setting in NVMax and OFP, reinstalling OFP with all patches, lowering resolution and/or details etc. Nothing changed. The framerate is nearly the same if I play @ 1024x786x32 with highest detail or @ 800x600x16 lowest detail.

My system specs:

AMD Duron 900 @ 1000

ASUS A7V133 & VIA 4-in-1 4.35

512 MB PC-133 SD-RAM

ASUS V7700 32MB (Geforce 2 GTS) & Every Detonator up to 21.88

SoundBlaster Live! Player 5.1

ELSA Microlink 56k PCI HCF

Realtek 8139 NIC

Windows XP, but under 98 and 2000 the problem was the same.

Please help me ! I'm going to give it up, and when I do so, OFP will be banned forever from my PC....

thx

MrManiac

You got something running in the background?,try 'Alt'  'Ctrl' and 'Delete', and close/turn off everything exept systray and explorer, i get that kinda shat;) if i try running mobo' monitor, type proggies in the background,

PS. read in another post, it might be joystick/input device-related, do you use a joystick?, or a mouse?,or what?,....

(Edited by BoonieRat at 11:32 am on Nov. 21, 2001)

No programs in background...

And I think I almost read every topic in this forum about my problem.

(Edited by MrManiac at 12:53 pm on Nov. 21, 2001)

I cant remember what the thread starter was, but it was only a couple a days ago, and if i remember rightly, the Avon lady answered with the Joystick theory, so there might be something on her FAQ about it, are you using a joystick?,

another thing, have you disabled 'vertical sync'?, that can cause input/mouse lag, i dont know if that would cause stuttering, but its worth a try!,.....

PS if i find the thread i'll post,....

PPS. i know you said you tryed them all, but, Full Screen Anti Alias'ing, REALLY fvcks up the frame rate on my Gf2pro &1200 T/Bird

(Edited by BoonieRat at 12:04 pm on Nov. 21, 2001)

Your URL is out of date. The FAQ has been totally reformatted. Do searches for "joystick", "Nvidia" and "DirectX tweak". If that doesn't help, click on TROUBLESHOOTING on the left hand menu and browse the section.

mr.maniac is 800 x 600 the lowest resolution you can use? i have a geforce2 64m and i still can go as low as 640 x 480. i dont use it much unless i try to play a single player mission i created with a couple hundred troops.

Mmmm, I tried all of this m8s, sorry...

No Joystick = No Driver

DirectX Tweak = No framerate increase

Avons Lady FAQ = I already have it and read every Question

And I can also use 640x480, but framerate is slightly increased, but playing @ 640x480 isn't fun.

All drivers I'm using are the newest.

Don't know what to do... I HATE Codemasters for their really s**t support and patches !

I think Codemasters insists on adding a stutter in to all their games!! I have CMR2 also from Codedisasters and guess what it has stuuutuutuutuers sad.gif

I've also tweaked everything and still on occassion get these stutters in OPF. Its a BRILLIANT game but these stutters are a big let down.

Just tried Ghost Recon demo and it ran as smooth as butter so it cant be my system.

--------------------------------------------------

Athlon 1.4, Geforce 2 PRO, 512 DDR RAM

I tried another thing. Playing at 1600x1200x32. Now guess what, right ! Same framerate than in 800x600 or everything else. So the problem isn't really my hardware...

Ofcourse you have re-installed the game and ctrl-alt-del to all programs except systray and explorer as metioned above. If so then it is something with your hardware. Not quite sure what though..sorry cant help u there.

Usually I would make an AMD crack right now, but I will spare you my opinion on that matter as others use AMD with no problems. wink.gif

Yes, I realize it does it in both SP and MP, but troubleshoot your problems using SP as framerates will be true.

At first, thank you all for ur suggestions, but nothing works. I think it has something to do with this bulls**t 4-in-1 drivers, my VIA chipset and my ASUS card.

Yep, if the framerate does'nt change, i'm inclined to think it's hardware~related,

i've got an IWill KA266-r a1200(266)t~bird, a Gf2pro and 512mb Crucial2100, with this i can run at1600x1200x32, with all the settings up, its OK, not brilliant wink.gif, but totaly playable, strangely enough, its the cut~scenes that the F/R's slow down & stutter on!!,

have you checked for new 4in1's?,did you try dis-ableing Full screen anti aliasing?, you dont get many jaggies @ 1200x1600 anyways!! wink.gif

PS, do you have on-board sound?, if you do, try dis-ableing it, and running O/F/P in silence, as a test,....

(Edited by BoonieRat at 11:35 am on Nov. 22, 2001)

ASUS V7700 32MB (Geforce 2 GTS) & Every Detonator up to 21.88

how old is this card? does it have MMX? SDR? DDR?

if it's more then 2 years old and has SDR Ram it's Time for a new Vid Card

Yes, I have the newest 4-in-1 drivers (4.35) and my soundcard is not onboard, as you can read in my first question smile.gif FSAA is off, same as V-Sync etc.

My ASUS V7700 is about a 3/4 year old and has got DDR RAM, but I can't imagine what it could have to do with my problem, because my PC's performance can't be the problem.

OFP game ran slow when I installed the latest driver for my built in sound card so it can support EAX. I gave up a reinstalled the old drivers. I also heard that Soundblaster Live and Audigy have compatiblity issues with VIA chipsets especially with the South Bridge. This issue is similar to mine.

Well, apart from getting WDM drivers for the SoundBastard(that live crap really fvcks up the registry) and the latest BIOS for the Mobo in the hope of curing the S/B VIA south/B issue, the only other thing is the Vidcard BIOS,

the trouble with SoundBlastards is you have to reformat your H/D to get rid of all that live tosh, like ATi, there's no other way of getting rid of their drivers!, shoddy or what?,

Hold on a sec.

With recent video cards (GeForce 2's and upwards) higher resolutions are MORE optimised than what lower resolutions are. At 1024 x 768 you will actually get a better framerate than what you would at 800 x 600, and no, i'm not making this up.

From now on forget about using any screen resolution, on any game, lower than 1024 x 768. The GeForce just wont run to it's full capabilities. 16 mb cards (voodoo 3's) handle lower resolutions like a dream, because that is what they were created for when they were released. Think of 1024 x 768 as now the lowest setting you can get when using a GeForce card and go from there.

I now suggest switching to 1024 x 768 and turning your detail right down. See if your framerate improves at all.

If only bohemia played the game for a year themselves to experience and fix all bugs in stead off annoying the consumers with it.

I'm sure they have played it more then you, it's actually ok to flame me or other Forums users, but when you make a statement with out trying to help and Just Flame BIS your asking for trouble

Getting BACK to problem

If you have a freind with a better card or say a Radeon 32 DDR ask him to swap for a day so you can both see what runs better

it does not hurt to do your own testing, and you'll find the answer doing so

Think you will find its your Duron thats the problem. Dump it and invest some cash in a proper Tbird.

The Durom is a cut down Tbird, just like the Celeron is a cut down verson ( of an already s**tty CPU ) Pentium.

Play the game on a Celeron PC and you get the same problem, only a bit worse.