Sign in to follow this  
Netherscourge

Maps are a little bit too big

welcome to arma

lol

I can't find games with tons of people in it - all I can get into are 12 player games and the maps are so big that 12 players is like playing hide and go seek in the grand canyon...

I almost thought you were talking about single player.

pfew, I was gonna tear you a new one..

I almost thought you were talking about single player.

pfew, I was gonna tear you a new one..

No. lol

I mean the online matches are just big empty maps with a handful of people just wandering around aimlessly. Nobody seems to know what to do or where to go.

One guy was just spamming the voice commands non-stop for some strange reason.

Maybe shrink them a little?

Takes forever to find someone to shoot at.

die.... lol

Americas Army 3 has nice small maps for ya.. and EVERY other game for that matter. this is the ONLY fps game that has whole islands, rather then maps...adapt or die, as Darwin said.

I mean the online matches are just big empty maps with a handful of people just wandering around aimlessly. Nobody seems to know what to do or where to go.

I think the game really shines in coop (against AI) rather than versus mode, I can only imagine PvP being fun if you have two well-coordinated teams facing off against each other. Pretty much need to be a member of a virtual squad for that to eventuate. I have had some good coop sessions on public servers in Arma 1 though.

One guy was just spamming the voice commands non-stop for some strange reason.

That does sometimes happen, if you're lucky a server admin will give them the boot. Otherwise if you bring up the player list you should be able to mute particular users if they're being obnoxious with the voice comms. Can't remember the keybinding offhand... P? I?

Rest assured that there are servers and groups out there, I see them aaalllll the time. However, the experiences you have mentioned are to be expected in the public server realm... You may recall such FPS games as Counterstrike, BF2, JO, etc.

Maybe you shouldn't just skip the briefing and read through your objectives, so you'll know what to do. :p

Major problem with multiplayer isn't the maps but the game modes appear to be designed rather horribly.

AA was confusing as hell with it's objectives and it failed to clearly tell the player what exactly they are supposed to be doing or what to do (big game design problem there). However once you learned to open up the briefing screen, and mess around with buttons on there, the objectives of the map were easier to understand. Plus, it showed roughly where an objective was.

However ArmA2 one ups that, by not explaining ANYTHING, having no objectives/scenarios marked on the map, only a basic waypoint that sometimes leads nowhere, what is actually going on, where to go, etc. And the map is something you have to pull up, there isn't a "radar" or compass that points in the right direction. Which can be good, assuming the map and mission screen tell you what you have to do in the first place.

Spawning isn't explained at all, vehicles (and how to take care of them) are seemingly completely random. There's no way to change your weapon that you spawn with as far as I can tell, and often times you die, only to magically re-appear where you died at with a magic new weapon and you get spawn killed.

What the hell? It's almost as if the developers didn't even do anything except take a landmass, made some multiplayer code, and just slap it on there and call it "done".

Can someone please answer this... when I join a multiplayer match, what is my purpose? Where do I go? What do I do? Please, if someone can reasonably explain this then I will give them a cookie.

Right now the design is so messed up that in my eyes multiplayer is utterly broken. Big maps and spaced out firefights are great, but not a horribly designed gameplay mode.

I have to admit myself that OFP/ArmA/ArmA2 were never very beginner-friendly.

But instead of starting the big ranting, you should just play around a bit, discover the things either by yourself or let them be explained to you by someone on VON or TS or whatever.

This is no arcade game. Once you realized what the game is really about (took me also a year or two on OFP :D), you gonna love it and laugh about the comments you wrote in this forum. :D

But only if you like Military Simulations of course. ;)

Closing thread - this belongs in ArmA2 impressions.