Sign in to follow this  
datter

Can the AI see through grass? Some testing.

I ran some simple tests to see if the AI can actually see through the grass as some have been speculating. Results here for anyone interested.

Nice write up.

AI can also hear in ARMA2. Like ArmA1 where their ears were bit too good. like rabbit ears at times. Lying behind cover and move around will make them hear you.

Im going to do some hard tests myself when i get the game. ArmA1 got DURG's vegetation addon wich viewblocked the AI better than stock VB. It was too hardcore tbh but in between would have been great. It felt good though to be able to sneak from bush to bush and plant a satchel on a live tank while enemies were patroling closeby. Then sneak backwards keeping your eyes on the enemies and backtrack bush to bush - and push the button - WHAM!

:)

Alex

Yeah well, they can aim through grass while proned. The player can't.

At some point ArmA2 will eventually have this feature working. It was promised by a BIS developer.

So all we need to do is wait and see when it will come out.

I'm very excited for its release.

If ohara can confirm when, please... feel free to inform us when. ;)

If you damage an AI while you are close by they are pretty much 100% sure of your position so they will know where you are wether you are hidden or not. (Even if there is a house in front of you, though that could make sence)

Thanks, I plan to take it a bit further and see what else I can find out. All in all, I'm not unhappy with the results thus far.

Thanks, I plan to take it a bit further and see what else I can find out. All in all, I'm not unhappy with the results thus far.

Well thats good to ear. :)

It means Ais will act completely different when this future feature is implemented... or not :)

The knowsAbout command should be helpful for this, as it returns your detection level, a value between 0 and 4.

E.g. put a trigger on the map, write in the Condition field true and in the On Act(ivation) this code snippet (with SL the name of the squad leader and my soldier called Rudi):

Screenshot

_detfunc = [] spawn {while {true} do {hintsilent format["SL=%1",SL knowsAbout Rudi]; sleep .2;};}

Note that in the screenshot I also output the current FPS (just because I can...). In this shot I also had the High Command Module but I already replaced it with the Construction Menu as it gives me more freedom than the normal 3rd person view.

I used a Saboteur from the Force Recon Team, as he has a silenced rifle, a hand granade, satchel charges and a smoke grenade - a lot of stuff to play around with.

Don't forget to read the notes to the command linked above they give some more hints how it works and also some thresholds.

Edited by WhoCares

Further to this testing it would be good to break it up further. For example vision and sound components. What happens if you put 10 cows, a farmer and his tractor, civilian cars all doing burnouts in a field in circles around your location and you crawl through the grass behind a wall at a range of 30 feet, will the AI hear you?

Also is it possible to trigger sounds that can confuse the AI? I mean sound triggers, not player triggered.

Just a thought, I don't have ARMA2 yet so can't help doing tests.

What's a grid unit? Through my own tests I've found the AI can see with sound. They don't get a lock on your location, they just know exactly where you are, how you're positioned, and what is between you and them. Any sound they can hear will make you entirely visible, regardless of being in a ghillie suit in pitch black night with rain pouring down. If you are standing, they will shoot you in the head, if you are prone partially behind cover they will shoot you in the head. Lowering the settings (ie accuracy) will make them spray the area though, which may be confused with suppression. I needn't have bothered with the tests - during single-player you often see your AI team mates call out targets on the other side of hills. Despite all this, it's still pretty good, and with tweaking the many settings can be put right. And still looks better than OFP: DR videos of AI despite their talking it up (though I still hold out hope for that game).

In Arma1 the knowsAbout value seems to increase as you get yourself known to the enemy, to a maximum of 4, gradually. If you hide for a while, this will snap immediately back to 0. Firing some shots from a concealed position immediately takes it up to 4 again, even if they have no idea of your position. Is it the same behaviour with Arma2?

It seems to me that the enemy can also see you just as easy with the grass Sniper Ghillie suit as without it...

It seems to me that the enemy can also see you just as easy with the grass Sniper Ghillie suit as without it...

Hi

Necramonium it may seem that way to you but you do not know until you have done what datter has done.

People used to think the world seemed flat until Ferdinand Magellan sailed round the world.

The only answer is an experiment. Your opinion, while as valuable as mine, is not and will never be as important as a simple experiment that everyone can repeat.

Experiment, experiment, experiment. All else is hot air.

Kind Regards walker

Thanks Datter - Good read and good test IMHO.

Will be put to good use during singleplayer and Coop.

But is it the grass ie: being in the grass, or is it just being on the area in which the grass is populated.

I would like to see this revisited with grass off, to see if its really the grass or that the AI is programmed to react like the grass is there. With the grass disabled will the runway results be replicated, or will the grass area be treated as if the grass were being rendered anyway.

i thought this would have been fixed..maybe it is just a demo thing. i dunno. but this is annoying. hopefully ACE gets setup real quick. im hoping that the scripts and such are similar/the same so it should be relatively easy to implement ACE again....loved ACE's Medic system as well.

another thing i noticed. when saying they need a corpsman they pronounce it like "corpse" instead of "corps" (core)

Thread will get locked pretty soon sadly.

The ai can and can't see through brush. If you're moving, there's a good chance he'll see you. If you aren't moving though than the chances are slim.

It depends what you're doing in there.

They shoot at the bush if they saw you go behind it. Bushes block their vision fine in my experience.