Sign in to follow this  
CuteQA

M16A4 with traditional Ironsight?

I noticed almost every USMC unit in ARMA2 has a optical sight on his rifle, and even the rifleman has a optical sight. I can't find a M16A4 with a traditional ironsight expect the GL version. There was one in ARMA, is it possible to bring it back to ARMA2 in the future patch? it might helpful for mission design.

Also, From the recent conflict pictures, it is rarely to find a US soldier has a weapon without a optical sight in his hand these days. Has optical sight become a standard issue equipment for every infantry in the US military?

Yeah we pretty much all use those aimpoint red dot sights, M68 or whatever they're called. Well atleast they do in the Army, dunno about the Marines but I would assume they do. Red dots are superior for close combat. We had just gotten ACOGs and were going to have designated marksmen when I left. They were going to have M16A4s, everyone else had M4s (for the most part). I was mech in most of my units, so I don't know if light is using M16s, but I think there's only 1 real light div left, and it seems like airborne would certainly use carbines as well as air assault. Again this is the Army, Marines may be different. Also the 240B, accurate as hell. I could easily hit a target at 800 meters with it with 1 round and a scope, the m1xx, can't remember what it was but it was big.

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 AM ----------

M145. That was the sight. Be cool if we could get some real customization of sights in the editor, like pick what gets mounted on what weapons. The rail systems really allow for a lot of options

I noticed almost every USMC unit in ARMA2 has a optical sight on his rifle, and even the rifleman has a optical sight. I can't find a M16A4 with a traditional ironsight expect the GL version. There was one in ARMA, is it possible to bring it back to ARMA2 in the future patch? it might helpful for mission design.

Also, From the recent conflict pictures, it is rarely to find a US soldier has a weapon without a optical sight in his hand these days. Has optical sight become a standard issue equipment for every infantry in the US military?

When I left the army there wasn't a soul alive that didn't have at least an M68 aimpoint on their rifle. The only time I saw an M16/M4A1 with out an aimdot was at basic training where you were on the range with ironsights.

These days optics are a given. Alot of soldiers who werent even designated marksmen were being given M150s. So for the most part no, you will not see rifles with out an optic of some sort anymore.

I'm currently deployed to Iraq in a Artillery battery tasked to perform various infantry tasks in the Wassit province in Iraq

Our battery has about 90+ Soldiers

almost the whole battery has a M4 but we still have about 9 guys with m16s and m16a4s

our unit has about 30 ACOGs the M4 RCO model with the chevron and Bullet drop compensator not the Crosshairs

and the rest of the unit has a mix of Aimpoint CompM2 and CompM4 or M68s red dots sights. Alot of the compM2 are beat up pretty good so alot of guys just take them off and just use irons

About half of our guys have been issued A/N PEQ-15 and lot of surefire scout lights

we have some m145 MGOs mounted on a few of our 240Bs

that is pretty much what we are loaded out with

oh yeah and everyone E6 and up has a M9

How common are EOTechs in regular units? I've seen some pics of army soldiers in Iraq with them. Did they buy their own or are they regularly issued?

Did not see one my entire time in the Army. We had the M68, ACOG and fancy flip up backup iron sights. We had a thermal sight we never used in my last unit. Well take that back we tossed it on my gun at JRTC for night. Also that M136 for the guns was around, but that was it. Army likes to standardize stuff, makes supply easier. Wonder if the PEQs work this time around? Would be cool.

socom guys use( but not exclusively) the Eotech 553 as apart of the sopod II kit

Wow, thanks for info guys. I guess everything has changed a lot, but I still kinda hope a traditional ironsight M16A4 for option. :) Maybe someone will also make a working PEQs in-game in the future, I think it will be very useful for gameplay and realism.

The Aimpoint series is usually preferred for its durability and long battery life. But Eotech has a following as well and is widely issued. Some units say you have to use what they give you, some will allow authorized optics to be personnaly bought, and some have a mix of all three you can choose to put on your rifle, *my friends Stryker unit tells him he can have either a aimpoint/eotech or acog..* And if your in the SOF world, no matter where...its probably personal preference.

Hey you guys get in from Germany? They didn't put anyone in the condemned barracks by 1-16 did they?

Would it be so bad to use M16A2 and M16A2GL instead of the A4 versions? I mean, the in game difference is only appearance afaik.

The big difference between the A2 and A4 is the rail system and detachable carrying handle. Other than that they are the same, though IRL an A2 is older so probably more worn out.

Well, the RIS rail doesn't really matter in ArmA2 because you can't modify it. I mean, like CarlGustaffa said, there's no real difference except for looks.

Sometimes "the looks" does matter though :p It's like Toyota Camry V6 and Lexus GS V6 :D

You make a valid point. But, eh. I've always preferred the M16A2.