Sign in to follow this  
Athranas

What exactly is this game?

Oh, ok then. I don't own the game myself, EricM. That's why I didn't know.

No prob mate. So for your info its just another slider that you can push for "maximum seasick effect" or reduce to none for your typical "shooter on rails" game.

I find a little bit of head wobbling pleasing and immersing, but it's easy to overdo.

The funny thing is that some people that bought the german version while not understanding german put the effect to max thinking it would make the game prettier... They could not play for long...

fun thread! I'm sure DR will be a fun game but here's my story

Wolfenstein 3D

Doom

Doom 2

Quake

Quake 2

Medal of Honor

Call of Duty

Battlefield 1942

Battlefield Vietnam

Battlefield 2

Battlefield 2142

ArmA <-- at which point I thought, "wtf have I been doing all this time when i could have been playing Operation Flashpoint??? :(

ArmA2

It's so vast in scope I don't know where to begin. Playing PvP (50 players!) it reminded me of Call of Duty with the lush graphics and Battlefield with the teamwork but it's just mindblowing all the extra dimensions - everything is simulated and doesn't feel like props in a Hollywood film set, the 'map' (we call them mission because there is only one map and that is the entire country) just goes on forever, and it's gorgeous all the way. When I started playing Arma, I rebuilt my main computer just to play Arma. Now, my upgraded machine is my Arma2 machine. It doesn't do anything else. I don't need anything else.

Get the demo next week. Don't panic when you see all the controls because you don't need them until you get deeper into it.

ArmA <-- at which point I thought, "wtf have I been doing all this time when i could have been playing Operation Flashpoint??? :(

Its ok friend.. better to of found your way to the light later then never... welcome to the fold!

well thanks to this thread i have come to a decision partly the pc gamer review :) i will be buying this friday!

It's everything you thought when playing in your yard as a small kid with your plastic army man!

True that!

fun thread! I'm sure DR will be a fun game but here's my story

Wolfenstein 3D

Doom

Doom 2

Quake

Quake 2

Medal of Honor

Call of Duty

Battlefield 1942

Battlefield Vietnam

Battlefield 2

Battlefield 2142

ArmA2

It's so vast in scope I don't know where to begin. Playing PvP (50 players!) it reminded me of Call of Duty with the lush graphics and Battlefield with the teamwork but it's just mindblowing all the extra dimensions - everything is simulated and doesn't feel like props in a Hollywood film set, the 'map' (we call them mission because there is only one map and that is the entire country) just goes on forever, and it's gorgeous all the way. When I started playing Arma, I rebuilt my main computer just to play Arma. Now, my upgraded machine is my Arma2 machine. It doesn't do anything else. I don't need anything else.

Get the demo next week. Don't panic when you see all the controls because you don't need them until you get deeper into it.

Mine is similar for FPSes

Eradicator

Delta Force

Delta Force 2

Battlefield 1942

Rainbow 6 Rouge Spear

Americas Army

Joint Operations Typhoon Rising/Escalation and Americas Army

Battlefield 2

CSS

UT2004

Halo 2

Joint Operations

SWAT 4

Red Orchestra Ostfront

ArmA <-- Realized I should have bought OFP GOTY instead of Joint Ops way back when

ArmA/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SHOC

ArmA/COD4/Crysis/UT3/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SHOC/TF2

ArmA/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CS

ArmA/FarCry 2/Fallout 3

ArmA/OFP:GOTY (Bought GOTY off GOG.com before it got pulled from being purchasable because of the dispute between CM and BIS about it being on the site)

ArmA/Americas Army 3

ArmA 2/Americas Army 3

Although if you look at the same timeline except factor in my other games I've played, you'll see a much longer list...

As for the OP question, it's a matter of try the demo, see how you like it. There's a major difference between a person telling you what it's like, and experiencing it yourself. I personally believe if you want me to buy your product, put out a demo for me to see if I like it, videos, text, and screenshots only go so far. You won't know if you actually like it unless you try it. That's something I try to emphasize in the reviews I do. ArmA 2 is NOT BF2, it's much more detailed. In ArmA 2 for instance, if you get shot in the legs, you can't walk until you're healed. A chest shot normally = death unless the round is pretty much an airsoft round in strength. There are some things I personally hope get improved down the line, such as implementation of Tank FCS and realistic tank damage (if what I've heard from my friends who have it is correct, i'm waiting on my copy in the mail from the UK Import FTW!). I'll say this, the infantry aspect of BIS games have always been pretty good, but the vehicle stuff, if history teaches us anything, will probably still need work. I ultimately dream of a version of ArmA which is a cross of VBS 2, Steel Beasts, and DCS, but I know that will never happen. VBS 2 is the Infantry training tool the military uses, made by Bohemia Interactive Australia, Steel Beasts is a military grade tank sim, and DCS, well that's the best CFS currently available for helicopters. I know this will never happen because that would screw the military versions and would be too expensive to produce, but we can dream right. Anyway, ArmA 2 is probably the most realistic Infantry Sim you can get without shelling out for VBS 2.

Edited by th3flyboy

Bit of OT, but funny, I've had quite an opposite game history compared to above posters :)

Began from hardcore simulation into twitchy team FPS. Going like this :

Falcon 4 / Janes FA18 / EECH

OFP (<- years here, modding for it, putting up servers for it, etc... by far the best gaming investment I ever made)

Planetside

ArmA

Ennemy Territory: Quake Wars

ArmA 2

Thing is, you can't permanently get away from OFP breed :) Even though Planetside and ET:QW both took a lot of my gaming years (and opened up a bit my view of FPS and gaming), the vast freedom that comes from BI titles is just unrivaled

When it comes to online gaming I started off like this

(1996-97) Monster Truck Madness 1

(1998-99) Monster Truck Madness 2> Motocross Madness 1> Unreal Tournament

(2000-01) Motocross Madness 2> NASCAR Racing 4> Leadfoot> Unreal Tournament

(2002) Motocross Madness 2> NASCAR Racing 2002> Operation Flashpoint

(2003) Motocross Madness 2> NASCAR Racing 2003> Operation Flashpoint

(2004) Motocross Madness 2> NASCAR Racing 2003> Operation Flashpoint> Flight Simulator 2004

(2005) Operation Flashpoint> NASCAR Racing 2003> Flight Simulator 2004

(2006) Operation Flashpoint> Armed Assault

(2007) Armed Assault> Phantasy Star Universe

(2008) Phantasy Star Universe> Phantasy Star Online> Armed Assault

(2009) Phantasy Star Online> Armed Assault 2

At the end of 2009 ArmA2 will be on top of my list, but for now it's 2nd as it only just come out and the community is not organized properly for Multiplayer as yet until everyone has the game and the servers/missions are worked out. I played many other games online and offline but my list is the main games I was into online, I might of played OFP online back in 2001 but cant remember exactly as I don't believe OFP was designed for MP when it was first released until some later patches?

Edited by AUS_Twisted

well thanks to this thread i have come to a decision partly the pc gamer review :) i will be buying this friday!

Actually, for you specifically I would suggest going with Dragon Rising.

The thing is, I myself come from unrealistic shooters but I have some experience playing Project Reality so I'm moving onto this for something I've been looking for for very long. But I've tried Arma 1, and since Arma 2 is very similar, one thing I can tell you for sure, it is NOT what you think it is and it is absolutely different from any shooters you've played before.

But if you want to play something like BF2, I really think DR is the best for you. Even though this game is capable of playing similar to a casual shooter, it never will be. You might even be disappointed since it's totally not what you thought. I think you should at least read a lot more on the game and watch a lot more stuff which is what I was doing for the past couple of months.

And as for multiplayer, it will be tough to find a server with people who try to play it casually. First of all, if someone wants to do that, they play DR or any other casual shooter. Second of all, this game just isn't made for it, and 3rd - the community that plays it, plays it specifically for using tactics and teamwork and sometimes it can be very hard to keep up with orders, and you have to be very focused as well. Running and gunning wont work, neither will just fooling around, and even getting into some real action could take a while (speaking on behalf PR experience and also watching arma 1 multiplayer gameplay videos from GOL).

And then there are the numerous bugs. May DR have less features, it still won't be as buggy. Bohemia is known for releasing buggy games - which isn't bad, my guess is that it's their way of getting enough real feedback and making sure to track down every error and fix it with a wave of patches. But currently, it has only been released recently, so it's still probably going to be the buggiest game you've ever played (besides Big Rigs, lol). We really don't mind, and we're patient, but if you're looking to get into the action real quick, and have some fun after school I don't think this is the best idea.

Hate to break it to ya, but I just don't think it'll work out very well. I wouldn't want to see another disappointed face on this forum.

But of course, if you think about this, and want to try to move onto this kind of game - tactical, super realistic (compared to other shooters), and teamwork-required hard shooter, it'll be nice to see a new addition to the community. But as from what I've read, this isn't exactly what you're looking for, now is it?