Sign in to follow this  
Sheps

Still the same problems? Planes Don't Bomb

OK I was able to play Arma II this weekend and the main thing that stuck out to me was that there wasn't anything new in terms of editor stuff (like proper heli rappelling and eject options instead of using scripts)

Now I've been playing the Bis games since OFP and if you take a look back to the original OFP then look at Arma II, there is literally nothing new other than graphics and units.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, why do the planes still not use their bombs so now we have to write scripts to have them work accurately as well?

I love the game but calling it Arma 2 was way off, more like Arma 1.25

Have you tried using the laserdesignator? The planes will not use their lgb unless they have a designated target (witch is correct).

mate, there are tonnes of new awesome things in the editor, the modules and new commands bis have provided are fantastic (hell with attachto we already have heli rappelling (not that its a biggie, whats with some people and fastropes?)). and wrt to planes bombing they do, and they did in arma1 too. designate a target, have a harrier fly over and it will bomb it. if your talking about planes dumb bombing then no they dont do that, but neither do planes irl...

if your talking about planes dumb bombing then no they dont do that, but neither do planes irl...

Are you seriously trying to suggest planes in real life only drop ordinance if their target is being laser designated? Give me a break.

Are you seriously trying to suggest planes in real life only drop ordinance if their target is being laser designated? Give me a break.

If their ordinance is lgb´s then yes, as far as i know the only bombs in Arma2 is lgb´s.

but you didn't say that laser designator is usually embeeded in plane itself... :p

Awesome scripts yeah, but nothing in the WYSIWYG department. I'm not all that clever with coding, but how hard could it have been to add a waypoint to make the heli fastrope their cargo down on contact with the mark.

Also, again let me reiterate, I don't know the codes for the game (I mean come on, it is a game at the end of the day) but how do you get the mortars to work?

Edited by Sheps

you use the game logic for artillery I believe to get the mortars to properly work. I don't have the game, but from what I read, that's what is required.

User controlled mortars:-

1. Place a playable unit on the map.

2. Place the Artillery Module game logic.

3. Place an empty mortar from the static selection.

4. Press F5 or click synconize on the right.

5. Click and drag from the Artillery module to the playable unit.

6. Click and drag from the Artillery module to the mortar.

7. Preview mission, get in as gunner.

8. Use action menu to access artillery control.

9. Move your mouse around, to move the aiming marker on the map to the desired target.

10. Bring in some devastating 81mm HE rounds.

Oh wow cool, so there is no way the AI can use it independently?

I honestly haven't done too much testing, so couldnt comment. But maybe the AI can use them in more of a direct fire mode. So say they are on elevated ground and spot you in the distance.

There are so many new functions with the modules, we have barly scratched the surface. Once the documentation is release we will know alot more.

I will have to do some playing around...

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^