Sign in to follow this  
PostaL

Normal jumping soldier, not just side jump

I think the new character jumping style is quite strange. Ok it looks nice when you jump over a fence. Then it looks like a realistic jump. But the model also uses this jump animation when you jump over nothing or when you want to jump on higher ground(like a concrete base of a industrial building) This looks really weird in my opinion. In that case the character should use it hands and push himself up to higher level or some sort of other jump animation.

In the future i would like to see better alternatives for this.

Edited by PostaL

I think the new character jumping style is quite strange. Ok it looks nice when you jump over a fence. Then it looks like a realistic jump. But the model also uses this jump animation when you jump over nothing or when you want to jump on higher ground(like a concrete base of a industrial building) This looks really weird in my opinion. In that case the character should use it hands and push himself up to higher level or some sort of other jump animation.

In the future i would like to see better alternatives for this.

Problem is it doesn't ascertain how high an object is; It works mechanically via the anim literally stepping over the object, rather than any kind of interaction with it.

If I remember right there was a function for OFP or Armed Assault that could work out the height of an object, so maybe this is a possibility to make

I guess you could have different keys to activate "jump" over fence or "climb" onto something. Are there many things you could theoretically climb on? (not too high of course)

Dont want to make new topic so I use this one. Its about jumping also.

In BF 1942/2/2142 characters had hard time getting over low obstacles like: going from road to sidewalk or going over railroad rail or going over small rock.

Character usually had to jump over, even that obstacle is only few inch high.

Does ArmA 2 has this kind of problem?

This is NOT BF2 and these kind of games. This is more simulator oriented wich means you get tired when running etc. Jumping around is for games where nothing but scoring kills is the most important. Seeing a soldier jump - jump - jump is quiet unrealistic as you can imagine. A real soldier just dont jump around that much - its too heavy and you get too tired. You move over obstacles. And in ARMA2 now we have a step over animation wich works for most obstacles you meet. BIS made a good job in that from what ive seen.

No jumping in ARMA thanks.

Yeah, if they put jumping in ArmA, it would be a big turn off. I like the currently stepping animation.

Yeah jumping wouldn't be great but it definitely needs a new ladder-climbing animation ;-)

I like the setup in Arma 2 to a degree, but the transition in animation isnt good. A speed step comming from motion running away from someone or chasing is just plain silly when reaching low obstacles.

Idealy: Run up to fence, time it press jump to get over obstacle goes from a running pattern into a timed jump all in one transition.

Now: Run up to fence, while in jog or full speed come to a complete halt then do a jump animation, wait for finish then continue running.

Idealy: Run up to fence, time it press jump to get over obstacle goes from a running pattern into a timed jump all in one transition.

That would be nice for aesthetic reasons but you have to take into account that a fully loaded soldier is carrying 75+ lbs. of gear. Getting over the smallest of obstacles can be quite a chore when loaded down like this, so its not really that unrealistic that the animation is slower.

You'd almost have to calculate the weight of the gear the player is carrying and have animations play out accordingly, if you're going for realism. Still though you're not gonna find a whole lot of jumping around on a battlefield, gives away your position and neutralizes any cover.

@Sturmer: It all depends on how the addon/object is made. Meaning, all BIS based models have a few 'special' lods (sort of layers if you don't know what i mean). One of those lods is 'roadway' lod. There you can add an model that represents where an persons feet/wheel will be able to move over. So as long as the angle of that shape isn't too steep, with a proper model you can walk over any object the maker would have wanted you to move over. Without that the 'geo' lod will prevent you to move passed it.

Like DaveP said, the BIS 'jump over' is a predifined (static) animation that will bypass any geo, as long as it isn't too high (below the players hands more or less).

Although this is a nice feature (comes afaik as there was an OFP based addon like this and there was some good comments on that), it add a new problem mentioned by PostaL. You can't 'jump' on heigher object witch is more or less the same idea. So it would be nice it BIS added a climb on key combo with animation.

For most of us who played the previous games, we don't find it a big problem as it has always been like that. It is nice to finally see a low object jump feature. But i admite it opens the doors to the climb on animation.

PS: With climb on i mean a slow climbing animation, so no bunny hop before you attack me.

I found the command that gives an object's height, will have a go at shanghai'ing together a script tomorrow (would need a custom anim made for climbing into stuff, however, I can animate but have no idea how to in ArmA/ArmA2)

And I always thought OFP/Arma was unique in having problems with low obstacles - glad I was wrong :)

@Alex[Dev]72: Don't be so negative about it. I know what gameplay you fear and I don't want that either, but jumping is brilliantly implemented in ACE. There we can now (ArmA1) get over small obstacles the default engine would force us to go around. Not able to get over those small 'sidebars' (?) along the road. Yeah, great simulator :)

Edit: Misread you a little. I agree, moving should be used instead. Jumping only if a move animation is missing maybe.