Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Destructible Buildings

I've seen in some older videos ArmA 2 having the ability to blow out areas of a building with explosives. Is this still in the game or did they take that out?

Still in...I am gonna upload a video of destruction also, i have it rendering now soon uploading, it shows the stages.

Its slightly true, i was in a Ka-50 i shot up the house and a few holes and scorch marks appeared. The holes werent enterable though.

Its still in and is a lot better then the old system. The problem is that only a few type of houses will actually do it. Others don't seem to get damaged at all.

The new patch added some more though so I will have to check.

Several satchel charges will level any building. As for leaving holes, I'm pretty sure that's not 100% in place.

Several satchel charges will level any building. As for leaving holes, I'm pretty sure that's not 100% in place.

Wrong!

Some house will leave holes and others will just collapse. The houses with holes you can enter, because I've tried it.

Some houses that are non-enterable, you can blast open a section that you can then go inside and use as cover. Pretty cool :)

You can blast bits off the church and even create a new entrance in the back.

Some smaller buildings only collapse. But the larger ones can have parts destroyed and new entrances made.

All the buildings seem to have damage textures. So a bit of damage can break windows and leave scorch marks on them.

I think the dynamic destruction system is rather average realized and to be perfectly honest, in this stage i could rather have waived on that system.

In intense fights it really breaks immersion that you can destroy parts with normal guns also, as its (i suspect it after observations) entirely hitpoint based.

It happened quite often that Tanks/Hmmvee shot parts away after some heavy 50cal fire.

Also its quite bugged. Sometimes invisible parts of later-on destruction lvels gettig spawned and you can not move in the buildings anymore or cant shoot out of windows, etc...

You know what Guys? Based on what I saw on Youtube (omg the waiting is killing me! >.<) ArmA2 building destruction system is not perfect but its far far beyound I expect it will be! Good job BIS! Just make sure to fix all bugs and I will be v. happy with this system.

PS. Can you imagine large urban scenario with Marines assaulting buildings through holes made by satchel charges?! :rolleyes:

I've seen in some older videos ArmA 2 having the ability to blow out areas of a building with explosives. Is this still in the game or did they take that out?

Its still there.... I found out by going into a building and having the whole thing fall on me killing me. I think there was a Howitzer type cannon right outside the building I was in.

Finally reminds me of Col. Klink's old OFP work on destructable buildings