Sign in to follow this  
Desert

ArmA2 8GB RAM Problem

Same Bug here.... tztztzt fresh ordered Stuff is making these errors with 8GB Ram:

[YOUTBE]bYmi0rwtlQM[/YOUTUBE]

Its a real shame because with this toxic radeon card and 4GB Ram i can set *nearly* everything to very high and it runs fluid and its sooo beautiful....

WinXP Parameter did solve the iussue but it seems to me that it runs a bit slower now and that is of course not a real solution....

I hope this will be fixe by a patch soon!

Thats something Ive had before in other games, have you tried disabling Catalyst AI?

It has to be something to do with your graphics settings as I have 8GB DDR2, and an HD3870 and its fine

Edited by Placebo

Installed the 1.02.58134 patch, deleted my old ArmA2.cfg, removed the -winxp Parameter from my Shortcut aaand the Problem is still the same.

The VRAM parts from the 1.02.58134 generated ArmA2.cfg and 8GB RAM:

localVRAM=3768256;

nonlocalVRAM=3768256;

The VRAM Parts with the -winxp Parameter and 8GB RAM (no Problem):

localVRAM=2140766144;

nonlocalVRAM=2140766144;

The VRAM Parts with 4GB RAM (msconfig, no Problem):

localVRAM=1068449792;

nonlocalVRAM=1475870720;

Same here mate :(

I have exactly the same issue: the first screen of Desert in first page is what I see in game...

Vista x64

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00GHz

8 Go RAM

Nvidia 8800GT /512mb

The workaround -winxp fixed it.

Edited by Gino

Hey man,

I had the same issue and the recent 2nd 1.02 patch still didn't fix it even though there was some blurb in there about it. However, I found two ways of fixing it from browsing the forums here!

#1 - Add -winxp to the end of the Arma 2 shortcut (that will limit the game only only seeing 4 GB of memory I think).

or

#2 - go back to older Nvidia drivers. I just uninstalled the 186.16 Nvidia drivers and installed an older version 178.24. That 100% fixed my issue and Arma is working with all my memory now with NO -winxp switch.

***EDIT 182.50 Nvidia drivers are also working correctly***

(So this really seems like an issue between this games and recent drivers? Wierd... at least it's working with no missing texture crap)

Intel q9450

8 GB RAM

Vista Ultimate 64

Geforce 8800 GTS 512 OC

Edited by Thrawn123

i also have still less vram with the new version. bug is still there. was so happy when i read the 8gb fix.

anyway they will fix ;)

Just to be clear, -winxp didnt fix anything for me, forward on i will presume you all have 8gigs of ram.

I have the latest nvidia drivers running but i limited my amount of ram through msconfig just like bruno said, i tried a few diffrent settings of the amount of ram and well they all helped from the main problem wich was getting huge amounts of non textured objects in the game, for example grass that was huge black blocks.

Choose "run", type in msconfig, click boot and choose advanced options, once there, you should have maximum memory, click the checkbox and type in 7680, reboot and start arma2, if it works fine, run it like this until we get a fix.

If it doesent work, just redo the same procedure but click the checkbox to uncheck it, you will again use the full amount of ram, restart and well wait for next patch.

Edited by survey

i have 8gigis of ram.

Vista x64

i also patched up to the newest 2nd edition of 1.02_58134

i get the block like graphics with the new Nvidia driver v186.18

i rolled back to version 7.15.11.8250 (3/27/2009)

and the graphics look great again...

WTF!!!!

the game looks awesome, but I CAN NOT run this in triplehead 4320x900 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i want my extreme setup to workkkkk

Just to be clear, -winxp didnt fix anything , i will presume you all have 8gigs of ram.
It is a temporary Solution for this Bug. In some Cases, like mine, it works and i dont have to limit my System through msconfig. I think you can try -winxp, before you limiting your complete System. :cool:

Yeah should have typed "didn't fix anything for me", thanks for correcting.

Using MSconfig fixed it for me it seems, but it will not let me limit the memory to 7680, it seems changing it to 3072 for some reason.

Using MSconfig fixed it for me it seems, but it will not let me limit the memory to 7680, it seems changing it to 3072 for some reason.

After changing the limit of the memory to 7680 MB via msconfig, reboot, and DON´T check the amount you have choosen in the msconfig itself, you will always find some number there as you mentioned 3000 something, that´s just an suggestion by windows for a reboot with limited RAM( would fit 32Bit applications ) - better have a look into your taskmanager, the total amount of physical RAM is your point of interest. For me it counts 6655 MB. Wich is good.

:bounce3:

After changing the limit of the memory to 7680 MB via msconfig, reboot, and DON´T check the amount you have choosen in the msconfig itself, you will always find some number there as you mentioned 3000 something, that´s just an suggestion by windows for a reboot with limited RAM( would fit 32Bit applications ) - better have a look into your taskmanager, the total amount of physical RAM is your point of interest. For me it counts 6655 MB. Wich is good.

:bounce3:

That did it! Odd behavior..it would not change to anything else until I unchecked it, rebooted, then checked it again. Didn't even think to use taskman, duh...

Thanks!

Like confirmed before, the bug is still there in the lastest 1.02.

I can only play the game with "-winxp" switch on my 1GB HD4890 Toxic and 8GB Ram on Vista X64, but with this flag/switch the performance goes down like 10FPS compared to without flag and 4GB Ram pulled out of my system.

I'm also experiencing this 8GB of RAM problem, although the "-winxp" is working as a fix for now. I also have problems with ArmA, unless I limit my ram (using MSConfig).

System...

• Windows Vista Ultimate x64 + SP2
  • Intel Q9300
  • 8GB DDR II (G.Skill)
  • ATI 1GB HD4890 (HIS), CCC v9.6, 1920x1200

Playing with the ArmA Demo version 1.02.

at least, BI didn't fixed 8G RAM VRAM detection at all!

Ver. 1.02.58134

182.50 without RAM Limited(SLI doesn't work)=fixed

186.18 without RAM Limited=Still Have Issues

186.18 with RAM Limited=fixed

hope BI fix this problem ASAP...

Same problem here, my gear is:

Q9300 / MSI P7N SLI Platinum / 8GB A-Data DDR2 800Mhz / 2*9800GTX (SLI)/ Windows Vista 64 home premium

Same here. VRAM is detected at 494MB in DXDIAG, and 250-something MB in ARMA. Limiting RAM in MSCONFIG fixed this.

This seems to be a general NVIDIA Driver problem as memory detection is borked in DXDIAG already.

i920@3.8GHZ

EVGA Classified x58

12GB PC3-1600

EVGA GTX280 HydroCopper, driver 186.18

Edited by qwertz

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 and have 8Gigs RAM, by the way.

Hope this helps someone.

I'm running vista 64bit also and 8gb Ram and getting the same problem. if you take 4gb of ram off your board it works fine, put 4gb back to make it up to 8gb then it has a dicky fit again. must be related to the amount of memory on your system.

This is my shortcut path for the game and i not sure how to insert the winxp switch as mine is through steam???

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 33920

Any ideas

Thanks In Advance

I'm running vista 64bit also and 8gb Ram and getting the same problem. if you take 4gb of ram off your board it works fine, put 4gb back to make it up to 8gb then it has a dicky fit again. must be related to the amount of memory on your system.

This is my shortcut path for the game and i not sure how to insert the winxp switch as mine is through steam???

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 33920

Any ideas

Thanks In Advance

AFAIK just add an extra switch, so it looks like..

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 33920 -winxp

I can also confirm that on this driver 186.18 the video memory detection works good with 4 GB physically installed and does not work good (detects double the amount that's on the card) with 6 GB installed.

Windows Vista x64 GTX285.

Is this an explanation for tons of CTD's some users are experiencing? e.g the game tries to access memory that's not available after a while?

I can also confirm that on this driver 186.18 the video memory detection works good with 4 GB physically installed and does not work good (detects double the amount that's on the card) with 6 GB installed.

Windows Vista x64 GTX285.

Is this an explanation for tons of CTD's some users are experiencing? e.g the game tries to access memory that's not available after a while?

Thanks To All I Added The -winxp switch and it works fine full specs finally i can play the game without having to take memory out of my pc

Cheers

Same here. VRAM is detected at 494MB in DXDIAG, and 250-something MB in ARMA. Limiting RAM in MSCONFIG fixed this.

This seems to be a general NVIDIA Driver problem as memory detection is borked in DXDIAG already.

i920@3.8GHZ

EVGA Classified x58

12GB PC3-1600

EVGA GTX280 HydroCopper, driver 186.18

QFT.

This is NOT a BIS problem. It's a known problem with the newer Nvidia drivers and the way they communicate with DX.

Simple solution - Don't use beta/rc operating systems as your main OS.

• NVIDIA TurboCache

Windows 7 now controls the allocation of system memory to the GPU for TurboCache functions. The Windows 7 Display Properties pages show the shared system memory (SSM), or how much memory is allocated for NVIDIA GPUs to use for TurboCache. For more information on graphics memory reporting under Windows 7, visit http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...icsmemory.mspx.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

ethne, perhaps i'm missing somekind of logic here but win7 latest nvidia drivers works fine with other games right? If so there is a problem with nvidia and bis and not win7 and nvidia. (btw haven't i seen the same reports regarding 64 vista/xp in this thread? regarding the "don't use beta/rc os")

Is arma2 using some aspect of the dx that the rest don't , or perhaps the first ones that takes advantage of the higher amount of ram available, since most games is still coded in a "everybody uses a 32bit os" perspective i presume that could pose somekind of problem.

I'm having a hard problem seeing it's a win7 problem though , since most people are running earlier versions of their drivers with 8gig ram with sucess.

Just don't like the claim "this is NOT a bis problem" since i want them to look into it.