Sign in to follow this  
kocrachon

One Question I don't understand about Bipods...

Because, if i remember correctly, you could change the effect that crouching/lying down has only on all weapons at the same time, not for each weapon individually. Now the M240 has a pretty big recoil in ArmA so when lying down the effect may be larger then with an M4, but relatively it is still the same.

But to be honest, last time i went trough this part of the .cpp's i was editing OFP, not ArmA so i may have remembered it wrong, but i doubt that it has changed since then.

So if i made a M240 without a bipod and gave it the same recoil values as the M240 with bipod, the change in recoil when lying down would be exactly the same.

EDIT: Im not even sure if the M240 has a bipod ingame. :D

But the logic is, they programed the M240 with a bipod, and the accuracy it has when in the prone position is the accuracy they feel it would have with the bipod. So even if graphically you took it out, the programed accuracy for the gun is still programed to represent what it has with a bipod (most likely)

I'd much rather have that 'deploy bipod' key perform an 'adjust leaf sight' action. Leaf sight has no practical use. Invisible deployed bipod does. Imho.

But the logic is, they programed the M240 with a bipod, and the accuracy it has when in the prone position is the accuracy they feel it would have with the bipod. So even if graphically you took it out, the programed accuracy for the gun is still programed to represent what it has with a bipod (most likely)

If I understood correctly, no bipod was ever programmed. You can have any weapon at all and when you go prone, you will get the same relative reduction in recoil and sway whether or not your weapon has a bipod.

If I understood correctly, no bipod was ever programmed. You can have any weapon at all and when you go prone, you will get the same relative reduction in recoil and sway whether or not your weapon has a bipod.

I dare to disagree... BIS has to have been improving their recoil simulations from days of OFP. So prone and standing positions will have different recoil forces lifting the weapon. Example M16 offers greater recoil on prone than M240, but on standing it's different matter as this time M16 offers smaller recoil than M240.

I could be wrong as i'm not most fervent/fanatic/hardcore/fanboi ArmA player.

I dare to disagree... BIS has to have been improving their recoil simulations from days of OFP. So prone and standing positions will have different recoil forces lifting the weapon. Example M16 offers greater recoil on prone than M240, but on standing it's different matter as this time M16 offers smaller recoil than M240.

I could be wrong as i'm not most fervent/fanatic/hardcore/fanboi ArmA player.

You're right. Weapons in ArmA can have seperate recoil settings for standing and prone. And values are used that represent whether or not the weapon has a bipod.

You're right. Weapons in ArmA can have seperate recoil settings for standing and prone. And values are used that represent whether or not the weapon has a bipod.

Well damnit, you should have posted that right away, would have saved 3 4 pages. :D

Here is my question to EVERYONE

You say you want a deploy able bipod. But the bipod in this is already out. How can you tell the bipod ISNT doing its job in ArmA 1... The bipod is already out, so you cant compare what it would be like with out the bipod. So isn't it safe to assume that in ArmA 1 the bipod is working the way they do in real life?

Personally in ArmA 1, the difference between recoil crouched and proned is HUGE. I think the bipod is functional in game. Because the recoil goes only up slighly, and rarely moves. So I think its safe to say the Bipod serves its function in game.

I know it isn't 'working' (well, it's not really there, like the spoon in The Matrix), because when I go prone, it reacts exactly like I'm holding an M4, or a pistol for that matter. The bipods have no effect or limit on my actions.

I know it isn't 'working' (well, it's not really there, like the spoon in The Matrix), because when I go prone, it reacts exactly like I'm holding an M4, or a pistol for that matter. The bipods have no effect or limit on my actions.

In real life the M249 ofr M240 even with a bipod while proned is still NO where near as stable as an M4. I recomend trying to fire an M240 while standing, kneeling, and prone. The M4 will always have a LOT less recoil.

a 5.56 round recoil vs a 7.62 round recoil is a huge difference...

EDIT:

Here is a new question

How many people here arguing for a bipod have ever shot one of these guns? I can tell you now you can NOT even shoot an M240 with OUT the bipod in a proned position. Its too heavy to use your hand to prop it. So if anything the bipod needs to be always prepped. So in the long run, I believe the programers already put into the effect what a bipod would effect the gun in terms of accuracy.

Edited by HavocDemon