Sign in to follow this  
Auss

VOIP Volume Versus Radio Volume

BIS - Can we have seperate Volume controls for the VOIP Volume? As it currently stands VOIP Volume is set under the radio control which makes it difficult to adjust as you get the radio sounds over the top of Voice chat.

Can we have seperate Volume controls for the VOIP Volume?

+1

I would really like the possibility to set radio volume lower and VoIP higher.

BIS - Can we have seperate Volume controls for the VOIP Volume? As it currently stands VOIP Volume is set under the radio control which makes it difficult to adjust as you get the radio sounds over the top of Voice chat.

+1

yeah, would be more realistic. And in my opinion, very important!

as it stands now -- Direct only is under effects -- so if you want to hear someone while a engine or vehicle is nearby your sol

second the as you guys said radio is combined

i would like to see options to adjust all voices, radios etc. seperate

Engines overpowering the VOIP is not BIS fault at all. Sound effects SHOULD be set lower than Radio volume when using VOIP, and then raise the overall volume in Win or stereo if the effects sounds too low.

But separate for the in-game radio chatter and VOIP should have been separated from start. Luckily we can turn the in-game radio chatter off, but i have a feeling those will sound much much better in ARMA2 and therefor it would be super to have it separate.

Actually, two sliders for VoIP would be nice, giving sliders for:

* Effects (vehicle sounds, gunfire)

* Music (just so I can turn it off for any MP games)

* Radio (AI radio sounds and radio commands with voice)

* VoIP Radio (regular channels over VoIP)

* VoIP DirectChat (that special closeby channel)

And I'm not sure if the volumes should be interlinked as they are today.

*And more channels. I.e. Direct Channel (to a specific user cross group, but not cross side), and a Leader Channel. Mission can determine if Leader Channel should be able to evesdrop on the special seagull channel ("hey man, we've been waiting for an hour, please restart"). Mission should also determine which slots have access to the Leader Channels, i.e. only PLT HQ and Squad Leader elements.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

* VoIP DirectChat (that special closeby channel)

*Disagree.

In my opinion, the VoIP direct chat should be set to an acceptable but fixed level. Why? Because you can also hear the enemy in direct VoIP, even when they're talking on their team side.

MadDogX, I don't understand your disagreement. A separate Direct VON volume slider would have no effect on one's ability to overhear an enemy's Direct VON (unless you reduced your own reception volume too low, which would be your own fault which would cause you to recieve no DirectVON audio at all).

They also need to change the linear decay curve for DirectVON to more of a gaussian with a plateu that travels farther. Right now 15m away you are at half volume which is too long considering that max volume starts off pretty mediocre.

@MadDogX: The problem becomes apparent when you use sound addons who have a completely different idea on sound volumes and turns everything skyhigh, both the sample volumes and the db adjustments. If a truck is nearby, forget trying to use directchat even from 2m away.

Twiddling with volume controls is already a possible exploit to hear enemy vehicles from a greater distance. It doesn't break anything. In fact I kind of like it. But then I have to turn down vehicle sound when I'm in them myself because of the way to massive noise.

Let's call it 'sharpening your senses in a hotzone' if you like. It's a very mild 'exploit'. The same would apply on directVON. Maybe the enemy should consider mild whispers if they thought they had enemy nearby? I think it would even add to immersion.

@MadDogX: The problem becomes apparent when you use sound addons who have a completely different idea on sound volumes and turns everything skyhigh, both the sample volumes and the db adjustments. If a truck is nearby, forget trying to use directchat even from 2m away.

Twiddling with volume controls is already a possible exploit to hear enemy vehicles from a greater distance. It doesn't break anything. In fact I kind of like it. But then I have to turn down vehicle sound when I'm in them myself because of the way to massive noise.

Let's call it 'sharpening your senses in a hotzone' if you like. It's a very mild 'exploit'. The same would apply on directVON. Maybe the enemy should consider mild whispers if they thought they had enemy nearby? I think it would even add to immersion.

Very good points, eloquently argued. I retract my earlier statement. :)

Something done in another game that works like a charm : automatically lower environnement sounds when some1 speaks over VoIP.

The sound fading level should be adjustable

I use loud soundmods but i still have no probs hearing. The RADIO setting have to be higher than the EFFECTS, and then raise the overall volume in windows/amplifier to get it all loud (yeah i like it loud :) ). And vehicles these days have their sounds lowered a lot (even outside sounds) when entering them. For some reason i never had problems with this issue. And from what i know it IS hard talking inside many army vehicles. They sound a lot and you have to shout to eachother/use comms. But it is much better now with volume lowering when entering a vehicle for gameplay's sake. When a vehicle passes you while talking to someone it might be hard to hear, but thats realistic as well isnt it? For gameplay's sake though BIS could maybe raise the vol (gain) on the direct channel. Lowering effects volume when someone talks would not be liked by me, but maybe as an option.

Well see how it is when we have ArmA2 installed. Might be very good now. We just dont know.

72;1286774'] Lowering effects volume when someone talks would not be liked by me' date=' but maybe as an option.[/quote']

As I wrote, in said game (namely ETQW), the fading can be configured.

Fading == 0 => environnement sound won't change on VoIP activation. win/win situation ;)

in reference with talking inside of vehicles. BI could always go with realism and simulate the occupants wearing noise canceling headphones like we have been doing for a number of years now in the Army. Most, if not all military vehicles that go outside the wire have a vehicle intercom system. you can hear everyone in the vehicle and the radio is a push to talk switch. too easy to simulate that

It would be nice for certain seats to have separate "insideSoundCoeff" values so the crew of the UH-60 could talk to each other (high quality aviation headsets) without too much engine noise but the people in the back are in more of a noisy environment.

in reference with talking inside of vehicles. BI could always go with realism and simulate the occupants wearing noise canceling headphones like we have been doing for a number of years now in the Army. Most, if not all military vehicles that go outside the wire have a vehicle intercom system. you can hear everyone in the vehicle and the radio is a push to talk switch. too easy to simulate that

And they (BIS) started that since some patches back with lowering the volume when you get into a vehicle. ;) Like i said - i have no problem hearing. You guys must do something wrong with the volumes. RADIO=100%, EFFECTS=70% and then raise the overall volume in windows or if you have a stereo like me. Loud effects and clear loud comms.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

My point is I dont like the radio on as I get sick of the Ai babbling away, plus I can see what their saying on screen. I would mearly like to have the option of having the radio off but still maintain volume in the VOIP chat.

For those not having problems with sound. You misunderstand the problem. The problem is not comm over radio. The problem is comm via directchat VoN. This is not controlled by the radio slider but the effects slider. Lowering this volume to lower the vehicle sounds also lowers the chat over this particular channel.

It would be nice for certain seats to have separate "insideSoundCoeff" values so the crew of the UH-60 could talk to each other (high quality aviation headsets) without too much engine noise but the people in the back are in more of a noisy environment.

This is already possible in some ways, but not very much utilized yet. I.e. you can getin a tank and the noises are reduced. Turn out and they increase. I'm not sure it can be done on a seat by seat basis, but maybe crew vs passenger seats can be affected? Look forward for a particular sound addon update ;)

Yeah I guess insideSoundCoeff can discriminate between passengers inside and outside the vehicle. The UH-60 pilot would have to be "inside" and the UH-60 rear compartment passengers would have to be "outside." I thought that inside/outside also has other consequences besides sound that make it not the ideal solution.

As for people complaining that they can't hear each other when it is very noisy... good. There should be times when the ambient noise makes communication difficult. I do realize that there's some situations in ArmA where the difficulty experienced is not reasonable/realistic though.

"As for people complaining that they can't hear each other when it is very noisy... good."

Well, yes and no. I.e. with the original ACE sounds, the ATV is insanely loud. Missions like Domination use this vehicle frequently. But people doesn't bother to quit the engine! It drives me mad, and I find myself jumping on just to shut off the engine.

Personally I would like to see this 'convenience feature' gone with Arma2. Hmm, maybe it's possible to do a turn off engine feature on getout action? Have to look into that.

The same with trucks and M113. It's impossible to do a normal conversation near these vehicles, even though it's not hard at all in real life. If next to a T90 or a chopper or jet airplane doing a lowpass, no problem.

Hmm, what other consequences? Might have to inform the mod creator of those.

Hmm, maybe it's possible to do a turn off engine feature on getout action? Have to look into that.

Confirmed, "Get Out" action shuts down the engine, "Eject" action doesn't, if that's what you were wondering

Yeah, getOut from the driver seat shuts the engine off automatically. It's stupid people that are leaving engines on, really. If you move away from the driver's seat to another seat and get out then it leaves it on. I'm constantly yelling at my trainees to turn the gorram engine off.

I think the problem is the VON voice is too quiet compared to a lot of basic engines and that some sounds are out of balance. I don't like a universal "I can hear because it's nice" attitude that removes the tactical considerations of noise just because people can't be bothered with reality. It's frustrating when my sound environment is being shoved all around just because someone decided to talk to me.