Sign in to follow this  
BS-er

Original Carrier Command was a true inspiration

Ever since I became hooked on the original Carrier Command back in 1989, I've been on the lookout for a game like it, but that has scaled with the times. Sadly there hasn't been anything that remained true to the style of the original. Hostile Waters was not bad, but it was no Carrier Command of its time. That game and the Battlezone PC games were about as close as anything has come to the interesting combination of command and action.

I'm a budding indie game developer, and I've been greatly inspired by the original Carrier Command, as well as the Battlezone games, and it shows in my work. It's good to see that there are others who see the brilliance and depth in games that let you be a part of the action, but also to influence the events of a larger, nonlinear game world.

AV8B Harrier Assault by Domark was another classic along the same lines as Carrier Command that also had the command and action element. I would love to see a remake of this game by BIS.

BS-er: Glad to hear someone else mention Battlezone. I only ever played Battlezone II, it interfered with my high school final exams back in 2000. It was a great game, and was underappreciated and not well known.

Also loved the orginal CC, it was great.

ive got BZ2 still installed, i give it a go now and then. Runs really good on my i7 :P

Dont know about Battlezone, but commanding a large carrier-type craft is something I've been constantly after since the dawn of computer gaming. I dont even mind if it's a stardestroyer or a true ship. Being in charge of a large power projection vehicle is just a great theme. Apart from the sheer action, commanding such a beast requires sound calculation, strategic and tactical skills as well as careful management of subsystems. You need to decide on launching subordinated craft for recon, attack and defense, their weaponry and supplies, maintaining a sufficient defensive screen and retreating when needed. If you are familiar with historical carrier battles, you know what a challenge it is.

(And also that carriers never sail alone.)

Carrier Command was the first game to take on this. For its age, it was spectacular, I loved it. However, the simulation of a complex mothership with several carrier-based craft operating autonomously requires a lot of work on AI. I don't want Mantas that crash hopelessly unless I personally fly them, my job is to give orders, provide support and time the sorties, I can't leave my post to dogfight.

The most ambitious endeavour in this genre to date was Derek Smart's Battlecruiser 3000AD series. It was a bugridden, unplayable piece of crap when it came out, and even with the patches and sequels, it was more of a pain than a game. But it did show the potential, as well as the problems. Hell, that ship was massive and packed a punch, but I had to assume every role down to the washing up in the canteen to keep it going.

I wish you good luck. One more thing: this type of game needs no busty women to sell. It's cheesy and cheap, drop it.

Also reminds me of an old DOS game Air Force Commander and Janes Fleet Command.

Really wish there were more games like this. Especially an airforce one, I'd love to research aircraft, train pilots and build an airbase.

Weeeeee New to this site. Just found that this game is being made again. :D So happy. I'm a big fan. I nailed that game in the end. I've also been back to it on the PC.

If it follows the origional it wiil be great.

The only mods I could see being being good so far are:

Multiplayer.

Head to head.

Co-op.

Team play. Maybe throw in attack subs. Ground troops.

Time to save up for a new PC for this one. :D Great news.

Dont know about Battlezone, but commanding a large carrier-type craft is something I've been constantly after since the dawn of computer gaming. I dont even mind if it's a stardestroyer or a true ship. Being in charge of a large power projection vehicle is just a great theme. Apart from the sheer action, commanding such a beast requires sound calculation, strategic and tactical skills as well as careful management of subsystems. You need to decide on launching subordinated craft for recon, attack and defense, their weaponry and supplies, maintaining a sufficient defensive screen and retreating when needed. If you are familiar with historical carrier battles, you know what a challenge it is.

(And also that carriers never sail alone.)

Carrier Command was the first game to take on this. For its age, it was spectacular, I loved it. However, the simulation of a complex mothership with several carrier-based craft operating autonomously requires a lot of work on AI. I don't want Mantas that crash hopelessly unless I personally fly them, my job is to give orders, provide support and time the sorties, I can't leave my post to dogfight.

The most ambitious endeavour in this genre to date was Derek Smart's Battlecruiser 3000AD series. It was a bugridden, unplayable piece of crap when it came out, and even with the patches and sequels, it was more of a pain than a game. But it did show the potential, as well as the problems. Hell, that ship was massive and packed a punch, but I had to assume every role down to the washing up in the canteen to keep it going.

I wish you good luck. One more thing: this type of game needs no busty women to sell. It's cheesy and cheap, drop it.

Ever tried Harpoon3 ANW. Not much in the graphics dept but very realistic.

My favorite two modern naval strategic warfare sims is Harpoon Classic 2002 Edition and Janes Fleet Command with NWP realism mod version 19.01

The DOS version of Harpoon Classic was done well also.

Never was a fan of Harpoon 2 or 3, these might have been adquate in the early to mid 1990's to play. Unfortunately, I hated the unit/tactic/strategic interface of these two versions.

If you've only played plain vanilla Janes Fleet Command without NWP and wished for more, get the current NWP mod. This brings more realism, massive more units and weapons, and also does an "adaquate" job of simulating steath (RCS) for a commerical sim.

Edited by havocsquad

I must say Classic is my prefered ver. as well. I dont like the new interface in 3. But there is a good community behind 3 making some really good missions.