Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

:rolleyes: MY performance with gtx275 in SLI is comparable to a single gtx580 at 1600x900 resolution. ;)

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-
added MY ;-)

I recently purchased the new line of 21.5" iMac:

2.5Ghz quad core i5

4Gb RAM DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M (512)

can i run it?

also, I have yet to purchase a windows operating system. should I go xp, vista or 7 for optimal performance?

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if there are problems with drivers nvidia for 2gtx SLI?

I have two GTX 460s in SLI and the performance in A2OA is great :D.

That said it was a bit of a pain to setup and it pumps loads of heat into my case, but the end result is good.

I plan to buy the following hardware. Will it be possible to play Arma 2 on high settings:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K, 4x 3.40GHz or Intel Core i5-2500K, 4x 3.30GHz

GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 580, 1.5GB GDDR5

RAM: 8 GB (2x4GB)

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) or SSD ?

Thanks!

I plan to buy the following hardware. Will it be possible to play Arma 2 on high settings:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K, 4x 3.40GHz or Intel Core i5-2500K, 4x 3.30GHz

GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 580, 1.5GB GDDR5

RAM: 8 GB (2x4GB)

Thanks!

Easily :D

That's a very powerful system, it will happily play A2 on very high

If it fits your budget an SSD will offer a much better experience- quicker loading times, less trouble with slow loading textures etc.

Edited by SW1

i have an i7 950 at 4.5 and 2 580s overclocked under water and an intel ssd. the game runs sweet maxed out with latest patch but every now and then fps will drop a lil. but cant use 10000 view dist without droppin to like 30 40 fps unless flying a plane up high . get a sli mobo coz ull want another 580 later :-P

I have 2 hdd. How is better? one OS and the other ARMA2? or RAID 0?

Edited by endofwar

Is it worth that i upgrade my computer? Or is it smart just to buy a new one?

Heres my spec:

AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Qore 2.60

8gb ram

ATI H4870 1GB

Main board Asus M4A78 Pro (whats the max support for a faster cpu?)

I see my board does support AM3 cpu's, maybe i can go for a 150 dollar faster CPU with good cooling?

Any help please? Maybe i can update my processor, any hints? And will my motherboard support it? Or just go for a new one?

Like this:

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Computer-MP-Gaming-Systeem/MP-ULTIMATE-GAMING-X6-1100T/1110303

You'll have a big speed boost by upgrading the cpu to a PhenomII black edition. Make sure your mobo supports it and you upgrade the bios if needed. Dont waste your money on sixcores, games dont really use more than quads.

An 4870 is enough to run arma on modest settings, but you can upgrade that as well of course. That should get you on par with the mycom machine, or faster as the card in that mycom thing isnt really that much faster than what you have now.

If you want the latest and greatest you should be looking at machines with an i5-2500K and a gtx560 / hd6950 or faster

Edited by Leon86

I have 2 hdd. like better? one OS and the other ARMA2? or RAID 0?

I have been led to understand that it benefits your game performance if the pagefile is on a different HDD than your games.

Correct me if I am misinformed.

I suggest one for OS and one for games, thats what I use. I have a third HDD for storage.

You'll have a big speed boost by upgrading the cpu to a PhenomII black edition. Make sure your mobo supports it and you upgrade the bios if needed. Dont waste your money on sixcores, games dont really use more than quads.

Oke i think ill leave my video card, i will go for a new CPU. But the thing is, i searched my mainboard. And it says it supports AM, AM2+ and AM3. Can you verify this?

This one good CPU? :

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Processor/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-955-BE,sAM3/237454

And this is my mainboard i think:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/230559/asus-m4a78-pro.html#tab:info

look it up on the asus site. cpu support list.

the bios on your motherboard might need an update for the cpu to work properly, otherwise it might be stuck in a sortof compatibility mode, not offering the full performance.

If you're going to change the cpu it's best to download the latest bios. (under downloads on that same page as the support list)

There should be instructions on how to flash the bios there as well, probably it's just putting the bios file on a (fat32 formatted, they usually are) usb stick, reboot, press del a couple of times (to get to bios) and then selecting easy flash and locating the file.

They might have a tool to flash from windows as well, more and more common these days.

I am downloading bios update and update tool as we speak, so when is a flash necessary?

i dont understand the flashing or updating Bios, my Bios version is: 1203.

Can you help me please?

put 'flashing or updating Bios' in google and read some topics on it.

I hesitate to give instructions on flashing bios. I wouldn't want to feel responsible for causing a hardware failure due to a botched bios flash.

It's fairly easy, but there is some risk.

ive downloaded the bios update and utility, when i run utility nothing happens except a second or two a ms-dos screen and quickly disappears.

Well the cpu he's buying is probably of one of the newer steppings, one supported from 1301, other from 1501, so a bios upgrade is very recommended.

There's a risk of power failure while updating but asus usually has the first bios on the cdrom with the motherboard, it automatically loads from the cd if there's no bios present, at least that's the case with my current boards. Never needed it btw, even though I've flashed bioses many times.

ive downloaded the bios update and utility, when i run utility nothing happens except a second or two a ms-dos screen and quickly disappears.

did you follow the instructions?

the bios tool there is a dos tool, you need to boot in dos to use it, not very user friendly, and probably useless as your board probably has it built in, try to find update instructions

look for it in the manual, you can also download the manual from the site. the instructions are there.

Edited by Leon86

I managed to update Bios in Bios itself, i loaded the ROM with a build in utility in Bios. I checked with AIDA and it says bios updated. Cool, that was the first step. I allready ordered the CPU, it should arrive tomorrow or the other day. :)

Thanks both of you. Guess i am almost ready to play Arma2, but i do need a new videocard to play arma at max right? I will be able to play at medium/high with my upgrade of CPU.

I managed to update Bios in Bios itself, i loaded the ROM with a build in utility in Bios. I checked with AIDA and it says bios updated. Cool, that was the first step. I allready ordered the CPU, it should arrive tomorrow or the other day. :)

Thanks both of you. Guess i am almost ready to play Arma2, but i do need a new videocard to play arma at max right? I will be able to play at medium/high with my upgrade of CPU.

:yay::yay: congratz :D

No pc can play arma 2 at high fps completely maxxed out, because bi studio allows crazy settings like 200% 3d resolution and 10000m viewdistance.

And yes, you should be able to play on mostly medium, remember to keep shadows on high as that only stresses the gpu. The cpu you had was barely above minimum requirements, your new cpu and the 4870 easily pass recommended requirements.

I'd recommend you read the instructions in the manual to replace cpu very carefully and maybe see if you can find an am3 cpu installation movie on youtube. And before you touch something in your case touch a piece of steel on your case first, to release static electricity, it can easily damage your cpu/mobo.

Edited by Leon86

yeah feels good to have done something without any failure LOL

on to arma2.