Sign in to follow this  
Karimatrix

Russian Translations and "Cranberry Issues"

In last faction trailer (NAPA) on Cargo containers you can read "XEPTPAHC"... you do know that in russian "XEP" is translation for Dick or Cunt...is it was on purpose?

Also, in first trailer despite your word about game being in Eastern Europe, we can see that Chernarus is country in Caucaz Mountains... problems with geography? confused_o.gif  Ofcourse i know you tried to play on  events in South Osetian Conflict, but since your country is prototype of Belarus, you could be more accurate with immitatings. I mean, there was no need to make South Zagorian(aka South Osetian) soldiers communists. However, i am not the one who only "bla bla"  smile_o.gif . If you want to quickly fix up some cliche names (like shops or some little villages) i would like to help you soo you can release game in end of month with less Cranberry* it's possible.

Cranberry - termin of overusing and "abusing" national (russian) sterotypes and cliches.

So you think we can expect ArmA2 to be released in the end of March? The first quarter is comming to an end, so I guess it's almost time.

Cant wait.

On Morphicon Publisher´s page it says May 2009 but release dates are often a flexible thing I wouldn´t place my bets on.

i hope You realize the game 'plot' etc/ was setup before the Georgia/South Osetia situation even happened ?

lol it might be like how Rockstar always makes images and references of male gentiles in every games, BIS got into that too  biggrin_o.gif

lol it might be like how Rockstar always makes images and references of male gentiles in every games, BIS got into that too  biggrin_o.gif

What?? Male genitals, maybe? I don't know the reference. I thought Rockstar just had the R and the star?

Dwarden, anyone who paid attention to that region already saw the war as one of the likely next steps. Maybe BI Studios started this game not anticipating a real-life war, but still playing out on that tense scenario.

In last faction trailer (NAPA) on Cargo containers you can read "XEPTPAHC"... you do know that in russian "XEP" is translation for Dick or Cunt...is it was on purpose?

. . .

Ofcourse i know you tried to play on  events in South Osetian Conflict, but since your country is prototype of Belarus, you could be more accurate with immitatings. I mean, there was no need to make South Zagorian(aka South Osetian) soldiers communists.

I don't know if there is some kind of deep dark meaning to this. There is a Ukrainian city called Khersonnes, so maybe this abbreviation "KherTrans" is short for "Khersonnes transportation company," or something.

That's the thing -- a name like that is so innocent-sounding and deniable. I heard that there was an Italian power company that bought the domain genitalia.it, probably not suspecting how dirty that sounds.

rofl.gif

But you're right. I noticed on screenshots that the Russian trucks had "ZAMAK" written on the grille, when the name of the brand is, obviously, "KAMAZ." Maybe they don't have permission from the brand to use their actual name.

About communists, it's no secret that many people in America hate communists with an irrational passion. So if you need a bad guy for a story, then make him a communist! It doesn't have to make sense -- I'm starting to worry that these games from BIS might never feature a reasonable storyline.

I don't know the reference. I thought Rockstar just had the R and the star?

I don't know about any genitals, but there's a ship in GTA4 called Wet Dream smile_o.gif

What?? Male genitals, maybe? I don't know the reference. I thought Rockstar just had the R and the star?

Dwarden, anyone who paid attention to that region already saw the war as one of the likely next steps. Maybe BI Studios started this game not anticipating a real-life war, but still playing out on that tense scenario.

you haven't even played the scenario, yet you know how the story turns out? just looking at the factions? boy, it's time to learn not to judge the book by the cover.

you haven't even played the scenario, yet you know how the story turns out? just looking at the factions? boy, it's time to learn not to judge the book by the cover.

No sir, I didn't say that I know how it turns out. Pay attention.

From what has been revealed by BIS, the premise of this game is very similar to the real life situation in Georgia. Many people expected a Georgian-Russian armed conflict for some years, since there already was one in Georgia in the mid-nineties (the Ghost Recon story centers around a renewed war in 2008, even though that game was made in 2000 or so). I'm not privy to inside information, so I never claimed to know the details of the Armed Assault II campaign.

So it is possible that the Armed Assault II developers wrote this story before the actual war took place, a point that someone above was disputing.

You cant just rip out some letters of a longer word and get worked up from it. I bet all languages have bad/stupid/offensive words baked into longer words. Dont think that was intentional from BIS to write that word in russian with the meaning you think Karimatrix.

The transportation company idea sounds plausible tho. smile_o.gif

Alex

Quote[/b] ]But you're right. I noticed on screenshots that the Russian trucks had "ZAMAK" written on the grille, when the name of the brand is, obviously, "KAMAZ." Maybe they don't have permission from the brand to use their actual name.

Same with one of the trucks in ArmA, it's called a Coyota, real brand - Toyota.

Same with one of the trucks in ArmA, it's called a Coyota, real brand - Toyota.

Yeah, I got a kick out of that. And don't they also have "Sundat" pickups instead of Datsun?

wow_o.gif

I don't know the reference. I thought Rockstar just had the R and the star?

I don't know about any genitals, but there's a ship in GTA4 called Wet Dream smile_o.gif

There are like hundreds of references, in every game after GTA 3, you just gotta understand British humour, also LOL @ my Spelling of genitals

i hope You realize the game 'plot' etc/ was setup before the Georgia/South Osetia situation even happened ?

That's right. You guys ripped it off of Ghost Recon 1.

And Schnell gas stations instead of Shell.

Can't beat the reference to Starobrno (Old Brno) beer - Starobahno (Old Mud) smile_o.gif

Well if that is humor reference then its ok smile_o.gif.   I just did not wanted the same history that happened with COD 4, when answering question of Russian journalist about "Why you put three meters tall word HUY (dick in russian) on every god damn Wall in post soviet locations?" Main Designer said "Well, we just found that image on internet, and it was big enough to use on texture..."

I hope there are russian language advisors in Arma 2 team...

more then one i hope  biggrin_o.gif

I wouldnt be afraid about that, there is still many people who speaks russian in Czech republic. smile_o.gif

No sir, I didn't say that I know how it turns out. Pay attention.

From what has been revealed by BIS, the premise of this game is very similar to the real life situation in Georgia. Many people expected a Georgian-Russian armed conflict for some years, since there already was one in Georgia in the mid-nineties (the Ghost Recon story centers around a renewed war in 2008, even though that game was made in 2000 or so). I'm not privy to inside information, so I never claimed to know the details of the Armed Assault II campaign.

So it is possible that the Armed Assault II developers wrote this story before the actual war took place, a point that someone above was disputing.

Well, I kinda agree, it was highly expected. but about Arma 2 storyline, thats something well see.... whistle.gif