Sign in to follow this  
Gustav62

Arming distance on grenades and rockets

I looked around at other posts, and didn't see anybody suggesting this improvement, so I made this thread. Sorry in advance if it has already been mentioned.

In real life, grenades fired from rifle launchers have a safe distance. If the ordnance hits the ground (or something else) before it has rotated a certain number of revolutions, it is not armed and will not explode, so as to put the shooter in the damage radius. In Armed Assault, grenades do arm the moment they leave the barrel. Both of the above apply to anti-tank weapons.

I don't imagine that that would require a lot of work to fix. But the game would look closer to a simulation of real life with this update.

Another little thing (this, I'm pretty certain, has been mentioned): weapons in Armed Assault still release all tracers. This affects the gameplay, since the shooter's location is displayed instantly. Aside from being unrealistic, it is so cartoony, to the point that I can't play without turning off tracers in the options.

I have suggested that to Ivan Buchta already some time ago, but good that you write it in public here too.

Could be a simple config-entry defining that and if the value is "0". then there is NO minimum arming range for that particular round.

Isn't this already in or is that some mod which has minimum range? I've shot my own men with M203 from pointblank range. Grenade hits but doesnt' blow-up and they just die.

Isn't this already in or is that some mod which has minimum range? I've shot my own men with M203 from pointblank range. Grenade hits but doesnt' blow-up and they just die.

Yes in ACE mod.... but only for Grenades.... problem is that you see the switch in the air after some meters, as the grenade is replaced after that distance with a other one.

EDIT: You not only see the switch in the air, but also the "instant-switch" right after the grenade leaves the barrel, as the original ones gets "decelerated" and falls to the ground.

I have suggested that to Ivan Buchta already some time ago, but good that you write it in public here too.

Could be a simple config-entry defining that and if the value is "0". then there is NO minimum arming range for that particular round.

I was thinking the same thing. Some kind of time-delay value for the grenade in the config.

Do you know if grenades are classed the same way as bullets in the game? If there is an actual mesh for the bullets, like grenades? Just curious.

Yeah, sad that the game doesn't have minimum arming distance, especially since it was done as early as Rogue Spear in a mod. (There was code for grenade launchers, apparently, but it wasn't used. The user community took advantage of that code and added perfectly modeled 40mm 'nade launchers in their mods.)

Oops, I thought this topic was about aiming grenade launchers realistically. Sorry.

Hi, i'll like too to see a working arming distance for the grenade

launchers, it's very sad and silly to fail a mission due to an unwanted

mouse click; and in the real life, you see the objective, move the

rifle to "sincronize" the target location with the distance mark in

the range marker of the launcher and then shot. It works like this

with the rifle mortars (aka bullets catcher cucumber) or the HK79A

grenade launcher, you always, see the objective; and the weapon

never obscures the target. The Switzerland Mod weapons are very

pimp and have very good animations. Let's C ya