Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Steal The Ural

Here is a small mission for Sanctuary's cracking WW4 mod. It's like BIs Steal The Car mission but harder with more features thanks to the excellent script authors.

From the ReadMe:

Steal The Ural (1/03/09)

Version: BETA 2 (9/05/09)

Version: v1.0 (25/10/09)

Author: Snafu

----ABOUT----

A small mission like BIs Steal The Car. In this, you are a Mercenary tasked with stealing a Ural full of the Everon governments money. When the Coalition invades you will take

the truck in the confusion from Lamentin.

----FEATURES----

- Kronzky's Urban Patrol Script. Enemies randomly patrol the village a different way every game. They will be alerted by gunfire, dead bodies and even try to flank you etc.

- Vehicle repair script by The Harvester and Raynor. If you Ural has a burst tyre etc. you can now repair it.

- Chaos Studios Realistic Damage System. Player will now suffer shock if a shot is fatal, player can bleed, heal with medi kits etc. Addon required included with this download

(and ReadMe).

- Use of THobson's intelligent patrol tutorial

----REQUIRED MOD----

Sanctuary's excellent WW4 mod is needed to play this mission. Grab it here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=71428

or here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sanctuary1/downloads

----TO DO----

- N/A

----FEEDBACK----

N/A

----CHANGELOG----

Changes from Beta 1:

- More intelligent AI patrolling the outskirts thanks to THobson's tutorial which is available on OFPEC

- Fortifications at the outpost

- Armoured infantry squad will come to the aid of the village when you are detected by the enemy

- More weapons to the ammo crate

- Desert Everon version added

Changes from Beta 2:

- Added more patrols

- Made the AI at the checkpoint harder to deal with

- Probably some minor ones

----CREDITS----

- Sanctuary for WW4 mod and the tip on random weather and start time.

- Kronzky for his UPS

- The Harvester and Raynor for the Vehicle Repair script

- Chaos Studios for the Realistic Damage System. Visit their site at http://www.armamdb.de/phpkit/include.php?path=start.php The Damage System is available in the OFP downloads

section.

- Bordic, R0adki11, STGN and PopUpTarget for their suggesstions and advice.

- OFPEC for their script database. You can get the scripts I used, apart from the Damage System, at www.ofpec.com

----Contact Details----

If you have any questions, suggestions and what not you can reach me at BIS Forum through this missions thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=71509

or by PM:

http://forums.bistudio.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=17445

Download Link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JKN5AMAH

Link from my site:

http://sites.google.com/site/snafuofp/home/released-missions

Edited by Snafu
Version 1.0 released & added link

Very nice, it feels really like a different mission with this different location (Everon and Lamentin instead of Malden).

The patrolling AI are an interesting addition, but i never really let them looking for me as my assault on the town was rather quick and deadly smile_o.gif

For the wound script, after a grenade exploded not too far from me, i had to use a small bandage to avoid the bleeding, certainly a good thing but i didn't wait to see if the wound script would have made me bleed to death.

On my first try i got shot by an AI not far from me, that i didn't noticed despite it was not hidden. The east army camo is really working there.

On my second run i got way more cautious biggrin_o.gif

I believe the mission would be nicer with an outro, when you meet your contact and get the money in your accout.

Nice variation of the Steal the car mission, good job.

Going to have to try this mission out.

Edit:

After i tried it out, i loved the random patrols and the wounds script, i have a few ideas for you. Perhaps you should make the mission at night that would change the atmosphere of the mission. Also for the Russian checkpoint perhaps make it a more substantial checkpoint with a fortress or two, sand bags and barbed wire fences?

All in all a good mission, im defiantly going to have to use the patrol script in my missions.

Great work so far smile_o.gif

Thanks guys. Currently implementing your suggestions now.

A question: Do you get any errors about missing voices with the wounds script?

Yes, good mission and good addon too!

About giving it a night atmosphere, why not having another one with R0adki11's suggestions or a unique mission with random weather/hours? wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]About giving it a night atmosphere, why not having another one with R0adki11's suggestions or a unique mission with random weather/hours?

Thats a much better suggestion, the more random the better. As it adds to more replayability smile_o.gif

Nice Mission!

Notes:

Objectives never check out for me always left un checked when completed the mission.

Kinda strange weapon selection would be nice with more posibilities as you are this super mercenary.

Last guard post is target practice 4 shots at most with the M40(one for zeroing in).

AI script is okay although they all try to flank the same way it seems not that smart when I am hiding behind the corner.

STGN

To get some random weather and time of the day at each mission start, in the mission init.sqs, add

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

skiptime random 24

0 setOvercast random 1

0 setFog random 1

0 setRain random 1

With those :

Starting from the current mission hour, 0 to 24 hours will be added immediately, getting complete randomness of the day/night hour.

Then a level of overcast will be made from totally clear sky to totally cloudy/stormy

A fog level will be made from no fog at all to very foggy day.

And finally, if the overcast random selection is superior to 0.7 , there will be a level of rain, from heavy to none at all (in OFP no rain can appear unless the overcast value is 0.7 or more if i remember well)

Very nice mission!

I had the same concern as STGN about the objectives not being checked as completed. Made me wonder if I was accomplishing the correct objective.

And, about the "atmosphere" fire fight sound effects going on. They seem incongruous with the otherwise peaceful and quiet setting. I'm supposed to be sneaking up on a quiet, relatively unaware town. But there is this constant fire fight going on somewhere nearby. Doesn't seem to fit.

Thanks for all the advice guys. New version released, check first post for details and download link.

A little request, my overview pics suck so if someone could do one for me like I have done but in the traditional OFP style I would really appreciate it.

Can u upload it to Filefront? Because I live in a dorm and share my conection with 300 and MEGAUPLOAD is usualy croweded as it is for me now.

STGN

I uploaded it there :

http://files.filefront.com/Steal+Ural+BETA+2zip/;13733934;/fileinfo.html

I tested the desert version on my work in progress Desert Everon with the CWC vegetation back on it and had some fun.

On my first attempt, after trying to snipe the patrols with a VSS, i understood that indeed the new armor system makes for a very different gameplay, as to really be effective with a suppressed sniper rifle you definitively needs to aim for the head.

I liked this as it indicate that sniping will take more training now, as killing people with a bullet on the arm or the leg will occur a very lot less now.

Though as it is suppressed the VSS deals less damage, so aiming for the chest is not always the best idea too.

Anyways, after taking out 2 of the outer patrols, i have been surprised by another one that came to my flank, argh, i thought i had checked the area before.

Thanks to the new armor system and the healing kits i survived barely the firefight, but did not survived the next assault from another patrol coming from my other flank.

On my second attempt, i left the VSS on the cache and went infliltrating with the default weapon, avoiding the patrols and crawling a lot.

I managed to get near the ural without being detected, but before climing on it, i went nose to nose with a walking patrol.

Fortunately i got quicker than them and i could get away with the ural after killing them.

Some bullets began to fly over me from the other patrols, so i took a long side way, along the sea to use the hill as a cover, then once i was out of danger, i drove back to my cache and got the VSS.

After leaving the truck near the checkpoint, it was rather easy to pick the defenders lying prone there thanks to my NVG.

The outro seems to have a problem, as the camera zoomed on the soldier talking to mine, but once it stopped on his feet , nothing else happened , the camera was left showing me the soldier feet, i had to manually escape out of that outro.

Interesting how the mission can play differently with the patrol and if you are detected or not.

Thanks for the link Sanctuary.

I forgot to delete the outro part. I tried to get it to work but almost threw my computer out of the window in frustration. I found it much easier in ArmA.

Anyway, tweaking the mission a bit more and that should be it done and dusted. Not sure how to make the AI at the outpost threatening, that's the only thing that's holding me back really.

I'm already working out the next ww4 mission, using DAC to make it more challenging.

To increase the dangerous level of the outpost, maybe you should give a patrol pattern with 2 or 3 moves waypoint and a cycle one around the outpost location for its defenders.

This way they would not wait for their death, staying prone on the ground but would always be on the move.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Spent most of Sunday making the second mission and just play tested it. I was sneaking up a hill and came face to face with a Russian soldier, quickly eliminated him but the AI didn't call for back up so I managed to escape back to a forest. Watched that patrol go by then quickly moved to the top of the forest and sneaked around there but got trapped between two bushes in a field when a patrol came by. I couldn't see past the bush so all I had to go on was their footsteps hitting the dirt. Closer...closer...then they stopped and quickly sped up. "Oh crap", I thought. They ran right past me up to a farmhouse. Phew.

DAC rocks.

Good mission i pass it by killing the squar stand near to ural and run.it is like a cwc sp mission in which you have to kill a tank.roadblock is hard to clear.but protecting ural is i found hard.i also try to make some cwc mission to ww4 mission.

Been a long time.

I would have finished this earlier but I built a new PC and installed the W7 RC so I didn't move all my files onto it as I would have had to back them up again. Now that W7 is released I have begun to transfer all my files onto the new system.

I have polished this up a bit. I can't remember all the changes I made but everything should work fine. If there is a bug tell me and I will fix it.

Steal the Ural v1.0

Link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JKN5AMAH

Expect to see a beta of the sequel in a week or two. The combat in it should be far more interesting.

Nice one, will have to check this out, what have you got planned for the sequel?

The mission takes place after Steal the Ural and it involves stealing another vehicle but you have to tab across a big area to reach it. I have used DAC so the area you will be moving across will be crawling with enemy troops and vehicles.

You can either fight your way through, sneak all the way or more likely, a bit of both.