Sign in to follow this  
echo1

Windows 7 RC1 released today (May 5th)

@Xeno; Weird. I only run 64-bit editions and never seen any issues of the sorts.

(Except at the Beta; required Hotfix :P)

You might have some issues running in a VM though, mate of mine had more issues with TCP Offload and other acceleration techniques with 7 Beta, and even more with RC. This seems to happen mostly on old network cards or drivers.

Any idea if doing so would not cause issues if I was to use my card in XP rather than Windows 7? I tells ya, if it doesn't, I may stop using XP for a while. :cool:

Also, wouldn't I want 185.81? Or is .71 a special one?

I meant 185.81, typo sry :)

No worries, drivers you install in 1 OS will not affect the other OS.

Edited by Sickboy

The domain is up for allmost 2 years now, so yes, setup is correct :) (even a Vista 64 client can join, though it takes ages to get into the domain).

Win 7 network settings (including DNS) are also correct.

Problem might be that the 2003 server is 32 Bit.

From what I've read, Windows 7 32 doesn't have that problems. Somebody else had exactly the same problems, switched to 32 Bit and could join the domain immediately.

Xeno

If you are running a server 2003 domain environment then you need to consider far more detailed aspects than just dns.

Vista and windows 7 have a host of new AD entries that have to be applied to AD to ensure smooth working conditions. Server 2003 (even R2) simply does not have them in a vanilla state(even fully patched).

I would suggest checking any updates you can obtain to bring your DC up to speed in terms of AD therefore allowing windows 7 to be attached to your domain in a proper manner :)

PS I would defaintely backup your AD schema before applying anything new as it may have a detremental affect on your AD which you may not be able to recover from easily.

Seems that Windows 7 is set to be released on October the 15th.

Source

If i get bored or need a little amusement i like to read all those Windows 7 ppl

actually in my case now the discussions in a superior combination of this szenario

Windows 7 (unfinished OS) + Arma2 (sadly buggy) + a BETA patch

is there ANY reason why such questions should bring a usable result ?

please dont misunderstand my point, dont stop it cause its really fun to read

but are all those ppl expect a long term solution?

Windows 7 is a perfectly usuable OS (Well, relative to other Microsoft OSs at least), even in it's RC form. As I pointed out in another thread, even the pre-beta builds of Windows 7 were far more stable than the initial (and possibly even SP1) builds of Windows Vista. I don't get how people think 7 is a POS because it hasnt been officially released yet, but yet think that Vista is a good coice... :icon_rolleyes:

Windows 7 is a perfectly usuable OS

And all those microfsoft dunno´s didnt realized it and still working on it :D

What i meant was that there are many discussions like that since the first availible

download, and it makes no sense to create workarounds, hacks and other waste

of hours and days just in its simple fact that its an unfinished OS. The example

with arma2 i just wrote cause it fits to this forum. But i tell you the truth, i didnt

wanted to post here cause imho it dont belongs to this thread but i was forced

to do so by .... hmm lets wait with this :j:

There are a bunch of other forums where the ppl coding their asses off just to

find a solution which is obselete with the next release or update, thats the point.

btw never had or will have vista :p

Windows 7 works great and I've been using it for a couple of months now as my primary OS having finally replaced XP 64 which was IMO MS' best OS to date (just lacked a lot of drivers support from hardware manufacturers).

[)arkRaideR;1299311']Windows 7 is a perfectly usuable OS

And all those microfsoft dunno´s didnt realized it and still working on it :D

I think that's because they want to spend a long time making sure that they find every possible bug and take care of it. It doesnt really take away from the fact that it works' date=' and it works well. Now that it's at release candidate stage, there isn't going to be any significant changes between the OS that's out now, and the one that will be released in October.

What i meant was that there are many discussions like that since the first availible

download, and it makes no sense to create workarounds, hacks and other waste

of hours and days just in its simple fact that its an unfinished OS.

I can see what you mean but the fact is that the OS isn't going to change much between now and then, so there's no guarantee that there's going to be a fix for any incompatibility with software that is not explicitly designed for Windows 7.

Furthermore, define what you mean by "not finished"... It's widely regarded that XP didn't become a good OS until the release of SP2, almost three years after the initial release. There's always going to be problems, and there's always going to be the possibility of fixes for problems. The problem with your argument is that it implies that every user made fix shouldn't be made because there's always the possibility of an official fix on the horizon, which of course ignores the fact that sometimes they never come.

The worst that can happen is that the user-made workarounds are made obsolete by an official patch, but the people who used these work-arounds got to use the game/software/etc while those who sat around and waited for an offical patch didn't. So the former were better off for a little bit of effort. Anyway, some people enjoy fixing these kind of problems, I know I do. Some people think it's a waste of time, that's a fair point of view, but it's only an opinion, not an objective truth.

Exactly.

To complain or whine about patches or work arounds would be to alienate yourself from all software.

Every decent software product known to man has had to be patched, updated, fixed, etc.

I think I get the gist of what you are trying to say perhaps but I think it has come out in the wrong way.

Has anyone tried the newer builds especially Build 7200 or Build 7201 ?

In response to EU competition law, MS initially removed IE from European releases of Windows 7. Now it is opting to include some kind of selection screen that gives users the choice of which browser to install. However, any mockup I've seen shows them using IE to display it... Most people are going to not bother and just keep using IE... A shame really.

Sources.

Ended up pre-ordering the pro version of this, we wanted to pre-order 2xhome but the offer had expired :(

My college gives away free copies of Windows to CS and Engineering students. I also take the copies that my Linux-only friends are entitled to but never use. :)

After using Windows 7 since before 7000,then going through 7100 and now running full force 7600 on 3 systems I must say that without a doubt Microsoft intentionally gimped Vista.

It's impossible to not have had the solution to the fact that it was unusable on systems with less then 2 gb RAM.They've gimped so that users would upgrade the increasing heap of inadequate equiped PCs and it blowed in their faces because as netbooks prove most people just want to check their email do some word processing and check MSN...

With Windows 7 it's the little things that matter but overall I`m a much more productive user then I ever was with 98/XP/Vista.Until Microsoft or Apple or others think of a radically new way to interact with our systems this is about as good as it gets (un)fortunately.

Until Microsoft or Apple or others think of a radically new way to interact with our systems this is about as good as it gets (un)fortunately.

dilbert-unix.png

Man, I really need to stop shaving, stop excercising, and buy me some suspenders...

Edited by echo1

After using Windows 7 since before 7000,then going through 7100 and now running full force 7600 on 3 systems I must say that without a doubt Microsoft intentionally gimped Vista.

Did microsoft gimp vista on purpose? I would disagree with that. Maybe "rushed into production", or "features not complete". When I read gimp, to me that means they had a "working" product and then removed features from it. From reading on the internets(you know how much to trust this) that microsoft didn't initially plan on releasing vista. After XP they were working on windows 7. But for whatever reason they took that core code (lets say half implemented) and released it aka Windows ME style...

Again I can't verify source/don't remember website/thought it was an interesting take on it though.

Just popped up available on MSDN for me, downloading the x64 Professional version as I type this :)

Likewise, I now have some legitimate copies at my disposal.

Did microsoft gimp vista on purpose? I would disagree with that. Maybe "rushed into production", or "features not complete". When I read gimp, to me that means they had a "working" product and then removed features from it. From reading on the internets(you know how much to trust this) that microsoft didn't initially plan on releasing vista. After XP they were working on windows 7. But for whatever reason they took that core code (lets say half implemented) and released it aka Windows ME style...

Again I can't verify source/don't remember website/thought it was an interesting take on it though.

MS initially wanted XP to be the last main version of Windows, and just charge a subscription service and update it constantly. This method didn't suit Microsoft, so they decided to develop "Blackcomb" - the next gen of the Windows NT family, and release it in 2005. Sometime after, they delayed the release of Blackcomb to develop an intermediate release called "Longhorn" which would be a souped up XP in effect, and would come out in late 2004.

In 2003, there was the infamous "Summer of Worms" where XP was found to be horribly prone to viral infections. MS responded by abandoning the development of Longhorn, and putting some of the planned improvements into what became XP Service Pack 2. Once that came out, they started afresh with Longhorn, which, in addition to some of it's original planned features, gained a lot of the stuff that was intended for Blackcomb, including the new version of the NT kernel and redesigned interface. Longhorn eventually became Windows Vista.

As you can see - despite the six year gap between XP and Vista, Vista was really only in proper development for about two and a bit years, which was far too short for what ended up as the most drastically new Windows release since the mid nineties. Blackcomb turned from being a complete new version of Windows NT to a refinement of Vista/Longhorn, and ended up becoming Windows 7.

Basically, a case study in the sort of gobshitery that only MS could get away with.

Edited by echo1

Downloaded the RC and have been running it exclusively on my laptop for about a month.

I actually like it a lot. It's a lot faster that is for sure.

What version of W7 would be the best to get?

Premium

Professional

Ultimate

Any date on an OEM release?

October 22nd is the date of release for the public.

Home Premium is the one to get. Pro and Ultimate only differ by having certain enterprise/corporate features, and it's a case of "If you need them, you'd know about them".

dilbert-unix.png

Man, I really need to stop shaving, stop excercising, and buy me some suspenders...

:D i LOL'D

ps dilbert rocks

Hi all

Vista was like Windows Me.

Wonder if it is a sign that the worst versions of windows have a name rather than a number?

Kind Regards walker